Good Gay Theme Movies

On 3/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, droughtquake said:

I’ve seen and enjoyed most of the movies on your Seen list. On your Yet To Watch list, I enjoyed AkronCenter of my World; and Patrik, Age 1.5. I haven’t seen Call Me by Your Name yet, but I have read the book. Since Lad: a Yorkshire Story is on your list (I’ve never heard of it myself), you might want to see God’s Own Country which is also set in ‘All Creatures-Land’ (Yorkshire).  ;-)

I agree about God's Own Country, drought. It is a superb movie. There wasn't a weak moment in the acting, especially from the main lead. He was outstanding. I loved the pacing and the way the story unfolded. That lamb scene was so incredible in both the visual and the effect it had. One of my all time favorites for sure. Yes, there are some Brokeback parallels , but who cares. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I just saw Cruising (1980) with Al Pacino for the first time. While the editing made the plot choppy and a bit confusing at times, it was a fascinating look into the hardcore leather/BDSM scene of New York in the 70s. That kind of stuff is rarely seen nowadays. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TetRefine said:

I just saw Cruising (1980) with Al Pacino for the first time. While the editing made the plot choppy and a bit confusing at times, it was a fascinating look into the hardcore leather/BDSM scene of New York in the 70s. That kind of stuff is rarely seen nowadays. 

Have you seen Mr “I like to think that I'm gay in my art and straight in my life” James Franco’s Interior. Leather Bar. (2013)? It’s an attempt to reimagine and recreate the 40 minutes of deleted and lost sexually explicit footage from Cruising. Warning, it’s not for everybody, but you’ll probably be okay since you already saw Cruising itself.  ;-)

I saw the Franco movie without ever having seen Cruising. It was interesting to me. But it would probably have been more meaningful to have seen Cruising first.  ;-)

32 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Have you seen Mr “I like to think that I'm gay in my art and straight in my life” James Franco’s Interior. Leather Bar. (2013)? It’s an attempt to reimagine and recreate the 40 minutes of deleted and lost sexually explicit footage from Cruising. Warning, it’s not for everybody, but you’ll probably be okay since you already saw Cruising itself.  ;-)

I saw the Franco movie without ever having seen Cruising. It was interesting to me. But it would probably have been more meaningful to have seen Cruising first.  ;-)

Yeah I actually saw it before I saw the movie itself. It was interesting when I first saw it, but forgot totally about it until a friend and I were talking about good gay movies over dinner and he brought it up. I went back and watched it, and while the plot was a bit choppy, it's a fascinating anthropological look into a bygone era of gay New York. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TetRefine said:

By the 90’s most were closed down in the lower east side. Places like The Cock were constantly raided. Then clubs were strictly regulated.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

By the 90’s most were closed down in the lower east side. Places like The Cock were constantly raided. Then clubs were strictly regulated.

Hah, I've been to The Cock several times on my trips down that way, and it is still pretty raunchy, though obviously I don't know what it was like back in the day. There is a monthly party in New York called MEAT that has a heavy BDSM/leather theme to it, and a lot of what they portrayed in the bar scenes in Cruising happen at this party...very openly. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, TetRefine said:

Hah, I've been to The Cock several times on my trips down that way, and it is still pretty raunchy, though obviously I don't know what it was like back in the day. There is a monthly party in New York called MEAT that has a heavy BDSM/leather theme to it, and a lot of what they portrayed in the bar scenes in Cruising happen at this party...very openly. 

The back rooms had it all on display.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

You might be interested in Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo (original French title: Théo et Hugo dans le même bateau; aka Theo and Hugo). It starts off in a Gay sex club with some very graphic images. It takes off from there and shows the protagonists in real-time over the course of 93 minutes ending at 5:59am.

It was directed by Olivier Ducastel & Jacques Martineau, my favorite French directors – unlike most French directors, they film the last reel of the movie!

Un Chateau en Espagne (French)

For anyone who likes French films  -

This is not as such a gay themed movie, the protaganists are a little too young. It is a rather interesting film, well acted, about two twelve year olds, who are best friends, and must face up to being separated. Whilst enjoying the antics of the two boys, the film gives a subtle insight, lingering just below the surface, about the emotions of twelve year olds. Their immaturity and selfishness, their interactions are spot on, and whilst on a superficial level, it's a nice little film, on another level it reminds us of the raw basic characters of young boys. Those charming looking angels are a small step away from the animalistic behaviour depicted in Lord of the Flies.

https://www.theskykid.com/un-chateau-en-espagne-2007/

I watched this on TV last night, in French, but I believe there maybe an English version, there is definitely a Spanish version.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, droughtquake said:

You might be interested in Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo (original French title: Théo et Hugo dans le même bateau; aka Theo and Hugo). It starts off in a Gay sex club with some very graphic images. It takes off from there and shows the protagonists in real-time over the course of 93 minutes ending at 5:59am.

It was directed by Olivier Ducastel & Jacques Martineau, my favorite French directors – unlike most French directors, they film the last reel of the movie!

I’ll have to try it! Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I didn’t see you post this. This one is an interesting and unique character study. I did enjoy this one.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 months later...

I can thoroughly recommend Weekend, a British film from 2011. As someone who usually watches TV while doing something else, this held my attention throughout. Quite an achievement.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, northie said:

I can thoroughly recommend Weekend, a British film from 2011. As someone who usually watches TV while doing something else, this held my attention throughout. Quite an achievement.  ;)

One of my favorite movies ever. I totally agree. The performances are outstanding. :heart: 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Tiger said:

God's Own Country (British film) and Being 17 (Quand on a 17 ans), a French film, are both excellent. Prepare for some tears. They're both dramas. 

God's Own Country is phenomenal! :yes: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2018 at 5:34 PM, Tiger said:

God's Own Country (British film) and Being 17 (Quand on a 17 ans), a French film, are both excellent. Prepare for some tears. They're both dramas. 

I saw them both at Frameline. I expect to see similar movies at Frameline42 in a couple weeks. LGBTQ film festivals are the very best way to see these sorts of movies – usually before they’re released any other way! Support your local LGBTQ film festival, you might be surprised to find there’s one nearby!

Interestingly enough, being a member of Frameline means that they inform me of LGBTQ films showing in other local film festivals (the San Francisco Bay Area has dozens of them) including films showing in the SF Jewish, CAAMFest (Asian-American), SF International, Berlin & Beyond (German/Austrian/Swiss), Mill Valley, and many others. I would never have known about most of them otherwise. In a few cases, they've provided an additional chance to see a movie I’ve missed.

Edited by Former Member
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

:yes:  I loved his character... his integrity. And that scene with the lamb hasn't left me. Just... wow! 

Farming is a difficult job. And yeah, there are several interesting things that happened in that scene. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Being 17 was a bit slow paced for me, but I liked it. God's Own Country was really nice. Although, I must admit I had to turn on the sub-titles, those accents and slang terms were difficult to decipher at times. The Weekend is a nice film as well. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Krista said:

Being 17 was a bit slow paced for me, but I liked it. God's Own Country was really nice. Although, I must admit I had to turn on the sub-titles, those accents and slang terms were difficult to decipher at times. The Weekend is a nice film as well. 

Yeah, once you go to the rural parts of Britain, the accents are thicker, and they don’t speak Queen’s English.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I've watched most of the films previously mentioned, but what surprises me it that no has mentioned 'Prayers For Bobby'. One of the stars is Sigourney Weaver and it's very well acted, with an emotional story line. If you haven't seen it I definatly recommend it, but I warn you that like many of the previous films make sure you the tissues ready in abundance. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cognac69 said:

I've watched most of the films previously mentioned, but what surprises me it that no has mentioned 'Prayers For Bobby'.

I’ve actually met Mary Griffith, Bobby’s mother. She is very involved in the PFLAG chapter in the Walnut Creek area. Her son’s suicide profoundly changed her.

• 1 month later...

So many good movie recommendations in this thread. Here are a couple that have yet to be mentioned, though. They're cult films, so not that surprising, I guess.

Velvet Goldmine is a film about David Bowie, except not really. It has awesome music and superb acting and everyone on the planet should see it cause it's so awesome. Also, kind of weird.

The Naked Civil Servant is a film about Quentin Crisp, starring John Hurt, and is amazing. Couldn't find a trailer for it. Did, however, find one for the sequel (which was made decades after the first one), An Englishman In New York, also starring John Hurt:

• Like 2
  • Love 1