Roger Moore (1927-2017)

If, like me, your first experience of ‘Bond, James Bond’ was Roger Moore, you will miss the longest serving Bond with seven films. (If you’re a Sean Connery fan, you’ll probably think his slightly smirking style was annoying – or worse.)

Among his adversaries were Jaws, Christopher Walken’s Max Zorin, Christopher Lee’s Scaramanga, and Grace Jones’ May Day.

On the soundtrack during this era were Paul McCartney & Wings (‘Live and Let Die’), Carly Simon (‘Nobody Does It Better’), Sheena Easton (‘For Your Eyes Only’), Rita Coolidge (‘All Time High’), and Duran Duran (‘A View to a Kill’).

The Spy Who Loved Me featured a Lotus Esprit that turned into a submarine! (This was before they had the product placement agreement with BMW to feature Bond driving a German car instead of his traditional British motorcars.)

I can't say he was my favorite Bond, because that honor goes to Sean Connery, but I still enjoyed the films in was in as well.  RIP, Roger Moore.  

• Site Moderator

I'll remember him more as "The Saints" TV show, Simon Templer, as that's where I first remember seeing him. RIP Sir Roger.

MeTV is planning to show an episode of "Maverick" in which he played one of the brothers. Check your local listings to see when.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I guess only us old fogies remember Roger Moore. The young bucks probably only know about Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.

I can't 'remember' him but i know who he was and what he did. I've seen most of the Bond series of films. Moore wasn't my fav, but that's okay. I even know what Remington Steele was. But i'm one of those odd-balls who like to look at things from the past to see what got us where we are. And droughtquake, 'less of the old, eh?' 

• Like 1

To me, Roger Moore was James Bond because the first Bond-Movie I ever saw had Roger Moore as 007 :)  I remember a TV show called "The Persuaders" with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis, really liked that show..

RIP Roger

• Like 1
12 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I guess only us old fogies remember Roger Moore. The young bucks probably only know about Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.

I remember Roger Moore as Bond but only because they re-run these movies so many times. I think the first Bond that I saw at the cinema (new release) was Brosnan, but my favourite film is still 'Live and Let Die' with Moore.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dodger said:

…but my favourite film is still 'Live and Let Die' with Moore.

That was the first PG movie I ever saw. My parents had been successful at keeping my younger brother and me from seeing anything but G-rated movies up until then. My younger brother and I were staying with family friends. Our friend who was halfway between us in age, kept pestering his parents into taking us to see Live and Let Die. They were hesitant due to the rating, but he was persistent in demanding that we go. (The kids in that family bullied their parents into getting their way all the time. And upon doing research, we may have seen They Only Kill Their Masters, also a PG-rated movie from the previous year first, also with the same demanding friend.)

The action and violence were a revelation! Their parents were apologetic when our parents picked us up, but what could our parents do after the fact. It was a slippery slope and only 4 years later I went to see the R-rated Saturday Night Fever with my then-16-year-old brother and a bunch of our friends (we didn’t tell our parents which movie we were seeing and they were all friends from church).

I guess the fact that our parents treated us as if we were twins as we were growing up might have made us act as though we were.