What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

Right now I'm reading Tom Wolfe's 1980s classic, The Bonfire Of The Vanities. I've been on such a old school New York reading trip recently (Dancer From The Dance, City On Fire, Cristodora, Bright Lights Big City, etc). The New York that existed before I was born is absolutely fascinating to me.

So what books are you reading now that aren't here on GA?

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 2

I am reading Joseph Heller's satirical novel. "Catch-22."  The last copy I owned was in the 1970's, and I read it to shreds. :lol: While most teens were reading "The Outsiders." and "My Darling, My Hamburger," this uneducated, poverty stricken girl was reading books that my ninth grade language arts teacher told me were out of my league. LOL 

Currently reading The Magicians Series by Lev Grossman. The SyFy Series got me interested in it, and there is some major differences between the book, and the TV show.

• Like 4

I will chime in with the first non-fiction entry. Because histories of things fascinate me. :P

ef814410-30d6-0133-475f-0a2ca390b447.jpe

Edited by MJ85
Because I didn't copy the image right the first time :P
  • Like 3
59 minutes ago, Greg_A said:

Re-reading The Hobbit by Tolkien for the jillionth time.  The cover of the book shows it too!

I was recently in Barnes and Noble (bookstore for those that don't know the name) and saw Tolkien's books made with some very fancy material (close to leatherette) for their covers. I liked the look and feel of the books.

• Like 4

Just finished, Saving Simon by Jon Katz. On the second book of the Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. Soon to start,, As I Knew Him by Anne Serling.

• Like 3
On 5/31/2017 at 6:14 AM, MrM said:

At the retreat this weekend I was given a small book of gay love poems throughout history from Sappho onward. It's a little volume but has SO many amazing poems in it!

For instance, Virgil was speaking to me through one like he was reading the story I'm writing over my shoulder and helping me capture that ancient flavor of desperate love two men can have for one another. The love interest in the poem is a young man named Alexis!

http://www.blackcatpoems.com/v/alexis.html

I'm also reading Maurice by E.M. Forster who I consider our Great-Grandfather of gay literature on this site. The themes, angsts, heartbreaks, and fulfillments that we all write and read about here can be found in that short little 'forbidden' story. I encourage anyone who has not read Maurice to do so. It's one of those stories that stick with you.

I'm purposefully rereading this story because it informs a work I'm doing called Souvenir set in the same timeframe.

Here is a nice article about it from the New Yorker: 

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/to-a-happier-year

I posted an essay on a Forster piece https://www.gayauthors.org/story/ac-benus/thegayexperience/2

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Not anything at the moment, but I plan on rereading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. :D (Keeping my fingers crossed for The Winds of Winter. )

Start reading you slacker. Winter's coming. :yes:

• Like 4
Just now, Wesley8890 said:

Yes only thirteen episodes are left!still a month away😭😭😭😭😭😭

There is always the books to look forward to. 0:) And, given Martin's pace in writing, you'll have years to look forward to the final book, A Dream of Spring. ;) 

PS: HBO has shown interest in doing a spin-off series, so the world of GoT isn't over just yet. :) 

• Like 2
On 2.6.2017. at 7:30 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Not anything at the moment, but I plan on rereading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. :D (Keeping my fingers crossed for The Winds of Winter. )

Yaay! I'm just finishing that! I found audio-books of the series and I'm just listening through them all. I'm taking my time with the last one because I feel kinda sad that its over. Only 5 more hours!

I'm also planing to read (listen to that is) The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo since I never had the chance to read it. I already kinda started for a bit so I think that counts.

"My Seventh Grade Life in Tights", by Brooks Benjamin. Between Dillon's disapproving dad, who thinks football world be more worthwhile, and his friends' insisting that he's a good dancer, to spare his feelings (he knows he's actually horrible) the 13-year-old struggles to improve his mediocre dance skills--until he convinces one of the school's snobbiest girls to help him with his technique. The problem? His friends believe that dance studios are for sellouts who have no creativity.

• Like 2