What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

On 6/3/2017 at 2:59 PM, sweetmamajama said:

I'm also planing to read (listen to that is) The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo since I never had the chance to read it. I already kinda started for a bit so I think that counts.

I watched the Disney movie before reading the book, and I was very surprised by how twisted the book is. I think you'll enjoy it. ;o 

I picked up Stephen King's Dreamcatcher because I like reading horror novels (despite the fact I won't watch a scary movie) and I put it down shortly after. It gave me massive scares. 

Edited by Arpeggio
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

I watched the Disney movie before reading the book, and I was very surprised by how twisted the book is. I think you'll enjoy it. ;o 

I picked up Stephen King's Dreamcatcher because I like reading horror novels (despite the fact I won't watch a scary movie) and I put it down shortly after. It gave me massive scares. 

Dreamcatcher was a little scary. I've read Pet Semetary once and I won't read it again even Stephen King said that was his one book he got nightmares from.

• Like 1
On 5.6.2017. at 5:31 PM, Arpeggio said:

Yeah I know that's exactly why I'm interested in reading it.

And I do remember watching other versions when I was a kid that were darker on TV, though I cant really recall the specifics I just remember I was disturbed by it all

I'll be going downtown later today. There's a number of new books being released this summer, and I can't decide yet which ones I want to read first! "Felix Yz" by Lisa Bunker sounds promising. The titular Felix is 13 years old, possessed by the spirit of a fourth-dimensional being for the last ten years since his scientist father's disastrous experiment with the time-space continuum left his body partially paralyzed in time. Not only does he have to worry about bullies at school and his first crush on another boy, but his doctors have devised a "Procedure" to separate him from the unwelcome guest in his head--which might just end up killing them both.

Baaaaack! I bought "Felix Yz" after all. It's good, so far. :D

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Renee Stevens said:

I just finished re-reading the entire Collars & Cuffs series by KC Wells

I finished reading that series almost as soon as the final book was released. Re-reading them seems like a good idea... :) 

After I finish book four of Ella Frank's Temptation Series, that is. 

Edited by Reader1810
Just now, Reader1810 said:

I finished reading that series almost as soon as the final book was released. Re-reading them seems like a good idea... :) 

I think I've read the entire series at least a dozen times. Did you know there's a new one out? It's not "Collars and Cuffs" its "Secrets" and is the new London Club series of Jarod and Eli.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Renee Stevens said:

I think I've read the entire series at least a dozen times. Did you know there's a new one out? It's not "Collars and Cuffs" its "Secrets" and is the new London Club series of Jarod and Eli.

I do now. Thanks :D 

• Like 1

Red Rising by Pierce Brown is an odd book. At first it has a Northern Ireland/the Troubles vibe and then it becomes a Hunger Games in space thing going on. It's odd but lots of fun.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1
On 5/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, R J Drew said:

While most teens were reading "The Outsiders." and "My Darling, My Hamburger," this uneducated, poverty stricken girl was reading books that my ninth grade language arts teacher told me were out of my league. LOL 

The best books are like a really strenuous workout in the gym- they strain your brain. After a short period of recovery, they make it stronger than it was before.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Harlan Coben's Fool Me Once. The bloke knows how to make love to me! I'm trying to not start reading any novel now. I need to focus on school books and ace my semester exams. Some demanding shit, so for the next two weeks, the only think I 'should' be reading is Law textbooks... 

😭😭😭

• Like 1
On 16/06/2017 at 11:47 AM, Rndmrunner said:

I just finished "The Tzar of Love and Techno" by Anthony Marra and I have started Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale"

I started reading The Handmaid's Tale, too. I like the beginning of each chapter. She narrates and describes so well!!! However, the book is markedly different from the Tv series, somewhat slower and milder, so the book is on probabtion till when I'm done with the series.

• Like 1
On 14/06/2017 at 0:27 AM, Wesley8890 said:

The movie wasn't all that good to me. I haven't read the book yet

I found the book very entertaining and even funny somehow. Read the book if you have the time. It's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading "Breakthrough", an autobiography by Jack Andraka, who devised a new method for detecting pancreatic, lung, and ovarian cancers, at just 15 years old. Because of his age, many so-called "scientists" refused to take him seriously, scorned his research, or simply dismissed him altogether. Eventually, one man decided that his research had promise, and granted him the lab space to conduct his experiments with carbon paper. Jack, now 20, has patented his test method for cancer detection, which may be implemented by 2025. (Just my estimate)

In addition to these challenges, Jack has struggled against homophobia since the age of 13, and his story provides a great deal of inspiration to lgbt kids and junior scientists alike. :D

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1