What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

On 7/21/2017 at 3:42 PM, Palantir said:

I've just started book two of Robin Hobb's Rain Wilds Chronicles.

I've read all of the books in this series. Not her best work, I find, but they're interesting enough.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

About to start "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks.

I think you'll enjoy the series. I didn't try Brent Weeks for ages but the first book hooked me and I had to read the rest.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ron said:

I've read all of the books in this series. Not her best work, I find, but they're interesting enough.

I agree, Ron. The 'Tawny Man' series is my pick of all her series - breathtaking in scope and insight.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Palantir said:

I think you'll enjoy the series. I didn't try Brent Weeks for ages but the first book hooked me and I had to read the rest.

40 minutes ago, Greg_A said:

I'll second the vote on The Way of Shadows and the entire series.  I've read the series several times - it's a bit dark, but well worth the read.

Started the book this evening around 8:00 pm. Already a 1/4 done! It's good.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2017 at 9:06 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Now I'm reading A Wrinkle in Time

I remember really liking this book as a kid. You def reminded me that I should pick it up again!

Right now, I'm reading this book called Beijing Comrades, a romance, and unexpectedly, an erotica haha, about two gay men in Beijing, China :).

• Like 1
23 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Started the book this evening around 8:00 pm. Already a 1/4 done! It's good.

If you like his writing style you might also enjoy his Lightbringer series which starts with The Black Prism.  The series isn't complete yet, so it can be a bit maddening waiting for the last couple of books.  But the story line is interesting, the characters well developed, and he has an interesting new twist to how 'magic' works that I found intriguing. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, BHopper2 said:

About to start "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks.

I remember I picked up the first book in the series at the airport in Sao Paolo during a long layover. It was the only non-romance English book the store had, and I was bored. I'd never read a fantasy book as an adult, and now 5 years later it constitutes over half of my reading. You'll enjoy the whole series. 

• Like 1
Just now, TetRefine said:

I remember I picked up the first book in the series at the airport in Sao Paolo during a long layover. It was the only non-romance English book the store had, and I was bored. I'd never read a fantasy book as an adult, and now 5 years later it constitutes over half of my reading. You'll enjoy the whole series. 

I'm loving the story a lot. Almost done with the first book.

i love audio books while I work, (I mainly work with my hands), and I've just started listening to the Dresden Files.  They're not perfect, but addictive, largely because James Marden does an amazing narration.  I'm about to start another series by Will Thomas about Victorian detectives.  The first one is Some Danger Involved.

• Like 2
On 7/16/2017 at 1:12 AM, Page Scrawler said:

I'm reading "Breakthrough", an autobiography by Jack Andraka, who devised a new method for detecting pancreatic, lung, and ovarian cancers, at just 15 years old.

Jack is my twitter buddy. He's as nice as he is bright.

• Love 1

I just finished "The Great Gatsby" and I took it a lot more personal than I did in High School. For example, something as minor as their age was really eye opening. In High School I remember thinking they were sooo old and sophisticated and downright "silly." Now, being close to their ages, they are uncomfortably relatable... First off, I look at them as peers and I understand the partying, alcoholism, love obsession, spending time with someone you aren't interested in out of habit or simplicity. And, living in New York now... I weirdly am seeing the ridiculousness of old money in the city... Now I'm curious what other books I read in Junior and Senior High School that I can read and understand completely different now...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Curti said:

I just finished "The Great Gatsby" and I took it a lot more personal than I did in High School. For example, something as minor as their age was really eye opening. In High School I remember thinking they were sooo old and sophisticated and downright "silly." Now, being close to their ages, they are uncomfortably relatable... First off, I look at them as peers and I understand the partying, alcoholism, love obsession, spending time with someone you aren't interested in out of habit or simplicity. And, living in New York now... I weirdly am seeing the ridiculousness of old money in the city... Now I'm curious what other books I read in Junior and Senior High School that I can read and understand completely different now...

This!!! I recently reread this as well too, and it was so much more relatable at 25 then it was at 15.

• Like 1
Just now, TetRefine said:

This!!! I recently reread this as well too, and it was so much more relatable at 25 then it was at 15.

Thank You! I'm so glad I'm not the only one to feel this way! I'm looking at reading Wuthering Heights next because I'm so curious how I see the love interaction at 26 vs 16.

Is it nerdy to say I'm reading a pile of political philosophy, or is it just in character for me?
I've got the Selected Political Writings of John Locke, and Achieving Our Country by Richard Rorty. And some Nietzsche, because you can't go wrong with some more Nietzsche in your life. :mellow: 

• Like 2
Just now, Hunter Thomson said:

Is it nerdy to say I'm reading a pile of political philosophy, or is it just in character for me?
I've got the Selected Political Writings of John Locke, and Achieving Our Country by Richard Rorty. And some Nietzsche, because you can't go wrong with some more Nietzsche in your life. :mellow: 

I'd say it's more "in-character". :)

• Like 2