What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

5 minutes ago, Hunter Thomson said:

Hush you! You didn't say what you were reading!

-chases you around with Silent No More-

Right now, I'm reading "Mad About the Hatter", by Dakota Chase. It's about the younger brother of Alice, from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, being transported to Wonderland and meeting the Mad Hatter, and both become mixed up in a plot to depose the Queen of Hearts. :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Right now, I'm reading "Mad About the Hatter", by Dakota Chase. It's about the younger brother of Alice, from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, being transported to Wonderland and meeting the Mad Hatter, and both become mixed up in a plot to depose the Queen of Hearts. :)

Sounds interesting... let us know what you think of it when you finish 🤔

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wesley8890 said:

Those are awesome drew I've read them like ten times. I'm rereading A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Oh, man! I haven't read those in so long!

After Mad About the Hatter, I have lined up A Corner of White, by Jaclyn Moriarty, and The Eye of the North, by Sinéad O' Hart. :D

11 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Oh, man! I haven't read those in so long!

After Mad About the Hatter, I have lined up A Corner of White, by Jaclyn Moriarty, and The Eye of the North, by Sinéad O' Hart. :D

I'm reliving childhood next up will be Harry Potter

• Like 1

well my mom ust got back from Colombia and my family sent me Spanish copies of "100 Years of Solitude" and "Love in the Time of Cholera" both of which were written by Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez who's also from Colombia (and passed away not long ago). I'm excited to read these literary pieces in the language they were written in.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Matthew Jacob said:

well my mom ust got back from Colombia and my family sent me Spanish copies of "100 Years of Solitude" and "Love in the Time of Cholera" both of which were written by Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez who's also from Colombia (and passed away not long ago). I'm excited to read these literary pieces in the language they were written in.

My ex (who is also Colombian) read both these books and was absolutely moved by both of them. He wouldn't shut up talking about them, haha.

Also, you're from Philly too!!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TetRefine said:

My ex (who is also Colombian) read both these books and was absolutely moved by both of them. He wouldn't shut up talking about them, haha.

Also, you're from Philly too!!

You're in Philly?!?! I never run into philly ppls online!!! Hi fellow Philadelphian!!!

ive read both books in English and they were truly astounding, but I'm excited to read them again in Spanish, I know Gabo used a lot of colloquialisms in his writing and I could tell the translators did the best they could but I know these books in spanish will be 10x better!!

• Like 1

I'm reading The List, by Patricia Forde. Due to global warming, most of the world has been flooded by rising seas. What remains of human civilization is confined to the city of Ark, where the citizens are allowed only to speak from a list of 500 "approved" words, with the exception of the Wordsmith and his apprentice, Letta. Letta has mixed feelings about The List, but dares not disobey Ark's leader, John Noa---until she meets a boy who speaks in complete sentences, the same as she and her master.

It's very good, so far. :D

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

I'm reading The List, by Patricia Forde. Due to global warming, most of the world has been flooded by rising seas. What remains of human civilization is confined to the city of Ark, where the citizens are allowed only to speak from a list of 500 "approved" words, with the exception of the Wordsmith and his apprentice, Letta. Letta has mixed feelings about The List, but dares not disobey Ark's leader, John Noa---until she meets a boy who speaks in complete sentences, the same as she and her master.

It's very good, so far. :D

That sounds super cool!!! I'll have to go look that up!!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So I read a lot , I'm an insomniac, I have recently read and am reading , enjoyed and am enjoying the following ; Where'd you go Bernadette by Maria Semple, Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gale Parkin, The Ministry of utmost happiness by Arubdhati Roy ( a really difficult but superb  read) , The improbability of love by Hannah Rothschild , The elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery and finally re reading yet again Terry Pratchett ( when I need a break from all the other books I have going) 

I'm rereading Gives Light, by Rose Christo. It's about a mute, half-Indian boy who goes to live on an Indian reservation with his grandmother, after his father disappears. Then he falls in love with the son of the man who killed his mother and left him without a voice. It gets sad at points, but the tender moments between the two boys, and the sharpness of the grandmother's tongue, keep the story buoyant. :)

• Like 2
On 9/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, CarlHoliday said:

Having finished Sourcery by Terry Pratchett, I am interrupting my reread of the Discworld novels. First up is Atomic Adventures by James Mahaffey, B.S. M.S. PhD. It looks to be a fun read into the realm of nuclear science.

+1 for Terry P. Really really love his stories.

Reading Buzz Aldrin's 'Encounter with Tiber' It jumps around a bit between viewpoints but the storyline to quote Amazon "oscillates between the careers of two human astronauts, Chris Terence and his son, Jason, on the moon and Mars, and the efforts of the Tiberians (from a planet of Alpha Centauri) to colonize Earth during prehistoric times. Chris meets his destiny while trying to retrieve a Tiberian relic from the moon. Meanwhile, the Tiberians' desperate efforts to colonize a habitable planet before their own is destroyed runs up against a host of well-depicted obstacles. Folly, prejudice, petty rivalries and bureaucratic befuddlement are shown to be common to both races, which are depicted with wit and empathy." Sounds like my place of work!

Right now, I'm reading Tumble and Blue, by Cassie Beasely. It's about a boy and girl who go searching for a gargantuan, golden-skinned crocodile in the Georgia swamps. This crocodile is capable of granting a wish every 100 years, and their respective families have been cursed for the last 200, ever since their ancestors made a deal with the aforementioned crocodile. But, the boy also has to contend with his extended family trying to find the croc first, since the wish can only benefit one person, I think? :huh: I'll have to keep reading to figure it out. :) It's excellent, so far. :D

I recently finished The Great Wide Sea, by M.H. Herlong. It's about three boys whose lives are uprooted after losing their mom, and their dad suddenly sells the house, to spend a year sailing in the Caribbean. Then, it turns into a struggle for survival after their dad falls overboard. It's an excellent book, especially for those who enjoy CJames' Circumnavigation story. :D