What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the recently published The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen, which explores the scientific understanding of the past six mass extinctions afflicting the biology of the Earth. Considering the extent the Earth goes to extinguish life on this rock, our collective future here doesn't have much of a chance in the long run.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:17 AM, Page Scrawler said:

I'm rereading Gives Light, by Rose Christo. It's about a mute, half-Indian boy who goes to live on an Indian reservation with his grandmother, after his father disappears. Then he falls in love with the son of the man who killed his mother and left him without a voice. It gets sad at points, but the tender moments between the two boys, and the sharpness of the grandmother's tongue, keep the story buoyant. :)

On 9/29/2017 at 8:07 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Right now, I'm reading Tumble and Blue, by Cassie Beasely. It's about a boy and girl who go searching for a gargantuan, golden-skinned crocodile in the Georgia swamps. This crocodile is capable of granting a wish every 100 years, and their respective families have been cursed for the last 200, ever since their ancestors made a deal with the aforementioned crocodile. But, the boy also has to contend with his extended family trying to find the croc first, since the wish can only benefit one person, I think? :huh: I'll have to keep reading to figure it out. :) It's excellent, so far. :D

On 10/3/2017 at 12:57 AM, Page Scrawler said:

I recently finished The Great Wide Sea, by M.H. Herlong. It's about three boys whose lives are uprooted after losing their mom, and their dad suddenly sells the house, to spend a year sailing in the Caribbean. Then, it turns into a struggle for survival after their dad falls overboard. It's an excellent book, especially for those who enjoy CJames' Circumnavigation story. :D

September 23, September 29, and October 3... Do you ever put down a book, Page? :P 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

September 23, September 29, and October 3... Do you ever put down a book, Page? :P 

Only when I'm eating, sleeping, cooking, or in the shower. :P

When it's a good story, I read fast. :D

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about to finish the last chapter of Strength in Weakness.

Thinking if I should start the Magnus Chase series of Rick Riordan soon. Or wait a few more years because waiting for the next few books sucks. I'm a very impatient person.

• Love 1

I'm reading The Fizzy Whiz Kid, by Maiya Williams, for the umpteenth time. It's about a boy who becomes the face of a soda manufacturing company after moving to Hollywood. Then things take a turn for the worse when there's a public backlash against the soda company, and his new friends reject him because of how self-centered he's become. Mickey introduced me to it last year, and I can definitely see the appeal. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just started Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. When I was researching a movie I'd seen a number of years ago, "7 Faces of Dr. Lao" starring Tony Randall, I decided to order it from Amazon. They suggested the movie Something Wicked ... , but further research led to this book, which in turn led to the conundrum of watching a movie or reading the book. Since I'm already a fan of Bradbury, I decided to read even though Bradbury wrote the screenplay.

I just read the latest chapter (12) of Protecting David VI: Christopher Grows Up by T. Audette. It violates just about everything that I complained about in the What Do You Skip thread – except misspelling and bad grammar. Incredible wealth – check! Multiple abused boys adopted by Gay couple – check! (but the sole adopted son of the original couple grows up to marry and adopt three abused boys.) Wealth used to solve every problem – occasionally. Being Gay is infectious – just one previously straight adopted son finds a boyfriend. Adopted sons turn out to almost all be Gay – sort of: two Gay, one straight, and one apparently bisexual.  ;-)

But Terry write so well, it kind of transcends the stereotypes. It’s the best of this sort of fantasy I’ve read. Readers who enjoy this type of story should read what is possible.  ;-)

I emailed Terry to thank him for the new chapter after a very long delay between updates. He let me know that he’s been having health problems that have distracted him from writing. He’s having surgery in December. I wish him well.

Re-reading Kyle Aarons' Kandric; impatiently waiting for new chapters of Kandric,  Brile, O'Connell's Grenadiers, Haven Universe stories 316, Haven 3(?), Fire, Phoenix...

Also some Narnia fanfics.; plan to re-read Elecktrum's series. And, reading Louis L'Amour's Sackett series in hardback during my break at work.

14 minutes ago, Celethiel said:

C.J. Cherryh's Foriegner Series, i am on book 15. Alien Worlds and Alien Political landscapes with Assassinations and civil Wars are fun ;) kind of like Mideaval political landscapes :P

Hey, Cele! :hug: Long time, no see! Right now, I'm reading Ban This Book, by Alan Gratz. It's about a girl who starts an underground library out of her locker, after a number of challenged books are removed from her school's library. :)

Just finished rereading Carl Hiaasen's 'Nature Girl.' It's a hilarious tale about a woman by the name of Honey Santana. Honey goes off her meds and sets out on a quest for revenge. She goes after the telemarketer who called during the dinner hour.                   

Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic, by Armand Baltazar. In a bizarre cataclysm, the past, present, and future eras are thrown together, wiping out all but 100 million people across the world. Dinosaurs and Neanderthals now walk alongside giant automatons, while steamers, clippers, and wooden galleons trawl the waters between shimmering towers of the future in the city of New Chicago. After a decades-long peace is shattered, 13-year-old Diego Ribera and his friends are forced into action after a deadly invasion force cripples the city's defenses and kidnaps most of its engineers, including Diego's father. Reluctantly joining forces with a band of pirates, Diego and company are taken across the Vastlantic Ocean which now covers the Eastern and Midwestern areas of the former United States, in order to stop a madman from reversing time and destroying everything that has been achieved in this new world.

Oh, I should mention that the book is half text, and half sequential drawings, like the books by Brian Selznick. The illustrations are reminiscent of classic American art, such as Norman Rockwell or Thomas Kinkade. :D

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Just don’t start chasing after curvaceous female swimsuit models now! We love you just the way you are! Alice Cooper mascara and all!  ;-)

Oh honey my eyes were on Sean Connery not Pussy Galore. BTW the books are a snoozefest. Now I'm rescinding Fried Green Tomatoes

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Update I just finished Fried Green Tomatoes. After reading it the movie was a total letdown. The book had so much more substance than the movie. So many events were also changed. This is my pick for the best book I've read all year.

Now I'm starting The Grapes of Wrath. 

Edited by Wesley8890
  • Like 1