What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

• 3 weeks later...

Middlemarch By George Elliot. It's one of my few reads that requires me to google some aspects in the inherent text, due to the canonical verses and historical references that is very fitting in its time.

Also reading The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse and The Code of Woosters by PG Wodehouse.

The Angel Tree, by Daphne Benedis-Grab. For years, a Christmas tree has been anonymously donated to the small town of Pine River by a mysterious benefactor. Every holiday season, people in need write their wishes on scraps of paper, and tie them to the tree. Friends and neighbors join together to make these wishes come true. This year, however, four children decide to investigate the identity of the Angel Tree's donor.

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished a collection of Harlan Ellison stories including the novella A Boy and His Dog, plus the prequel Eggsucker and an excerpt from the sequel Run, Spot, Run. Waiting for Amazon to deliver What Belongs to You: A Novel by Garth Greenwell.

• 3 weeks later...

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, by Pablo Cartaya. It was a very good book. :)

For thirteen-year-old Arturo, summertime in Miami means playing basketball until dark, sipping mango smoothies, and keeping cool under banyan trees. And maybe a few shifts as junior lunchtime dishwasher at Abuela's restaurant. Maybe. But this summer also includes Carmen, a cute poetry enthusiast who moves into Arturo's apartment complex and turns his stomach into a deep fryer. He almost doesn't notice the smarmy land developer who rolls into town and threatens to change it. Arturo refuses to let his family and community go down without a fight, and as he schemes with Carmen, Arturo discovers the power of poetry and protest through untold family stories and the work of José Marti.

• Site Administrator
31 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm re-reading Eragon currently, and planning on tackling the whole Inheritance Cycle.

That's on my list.  Since I only read the first two books and never read the other two.

However, I'm reading "Closer to the Chest" by Mercedes Lackey.  (finally)

• Like 1
On 1/29/2018 at 6:38 PM, BHopper2 said:

I'm re-reading Eregon currently, and planning on tackling the whole Inheritance Cycle.

That's on my list next after I am legend. I'm curious did you see the movie, and if so what did you think about it?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I'm reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. There is a movie loosely based on it. I say loosely because the movie is about zombies whereas the book is about vampires.

Awesome book!  If you like post apocalyptic stories, try Earth Abides. It's another favorite of mine.

• Like 1

I finished reading all of Nigel Gordon’s stories and have started on finishing all of Rick Beck’s stories that I haven’t read yet. At the moment it’s Age of Discovering, a revised version being posted on Awesome Dude, and the pre-revision version on iomfats.org because I wanted to find out how it ends! I’d read many of Rick’s stories previously.  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

That's on my list next after I am legend. I'm curious did you see the movie, and if so what did you think about it?

I did watch the movie after I read the book. I thought it was really good, but like most Book-to-Movie movies, it's nothing but the Highlights and some creative retelling. If you can find it on the cheap or free OnDemand go for it.

Xavier Jones: St. Griswold College for Abandoned Boys, by E.M. Cooper. A thousand years after colonizing a new planet called Kepler, humans engaged in what is now known as the Atomic War, causing the collapse of centralized world leadership and mass industrial production. One day, Xavier Jones' parents receive a strange letter, and bring him to St. Griswold College for Abandoned Boys. His stay, they tell him, will only be temporary. However, sinister gargoyles prowl the rooftops, and worse things await for any boy who dares challenge the menacing headmistress. Then, a strange boy named Gabriel Shepherd arrives, and reveals to Xavier that they are part of an ancient war between angels and demons.

I've just finished Book Three: Battle for Green Isle. I'd start Book Four, but my Amazon account is short on funds at the moment. :P

• Like 1