What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

12 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Finished Genius, now I'm on page 350 of Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor. Alex Fierro is a badass trans girl! :D

I don’t know how you manage to read so much so quickly!  ;–)

I’ve been reading The Swedish Effect by Elekrisk on Codey’s World/Awesome Dude. When I started reading it I didn’t realize it would end up dealing with an issue that’s very much in the news. It didn’t start out that way, but it was a natural progression.

20 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I don’t know how you manage to read so much so quickly!  ;–)

I’ve been reading The Swedish Effect by Elekrisk on Codey’s World/Awesome Dude. When I started reading it I didn’t realize it would end up dealing with an issue that’s very much in the news. It didn’t start out that way, but it was a natural progression.

On Saturday, I was almost finished with "Genius" when I made the previous post. Magnus Chase  is a very excellent read so far. And it helps that I've been AFK for most of the past week or so. ;)

• Haha 1
Just now, Page Scrawler said:

On Saturday, I was almost finished with "Genius" when I made the previous post. Magnus Chase  is a very excellent read so far. And it helps that I've been AFK for most of the past week or so. ;)

I don’t think I could be AFK except during Frameline42 LGBTQ film festival next month. I spent lots of time on my computer long before I got internet access. But I don’t play any of those online games. The only Social Media I use are Tumblr, Flickr, and YouTube – I don’t spend much time on any of those sites. I refuse to use any of the smirking weasel’s Social Media sites (no matter how many times he apologizes).  ;–)

I do spend too much time here though…  ;–)

5 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Ready Player One. Loved it and the movie. 

Those are both on my list. Haven't read or watched either one yet.

I finished Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor. Now I'm reading The Art of Being Normal, by Lisa Williamson. It's about two kids, biologically male and female, who become friends after learning that they are both transgender. :heart:

• Love 1

Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan. It supposedly draws heavily on the author's experiences growing up a wealthy elite in Singapore and Asia's super-rich circles. An interesting piece of satire and a deliciously guilty pleasure. 

41 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Lots of people use Photoshop to… exaggerate things.  ;–)

I am more interested in it as a hobby for now. Plus, I love avatars, and I want to edit them myself.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting back to the point of the thread about what are you reading.....I came across an article on Flipboard entitled:

The 38 Best Queer YA Novels

By Danika Leigh Ellis

Here is a link to the full article:      http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/38-best-lgbtq-ya-novels.html

The author arranged the books by year they were published and started with:   Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden (1982)

She listed one from 2003 and the rest are from 2012 to the present time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Daddydavek I've read Proxy, its sequel, and We Are the Ants. I found the first two lacking any depth of emotion or character, and the third was hard to follow. My advice? Don't read anything by Shaun David Hutchinson or Alex London, unless you enjoy being disappointed. In Other Lands was very good, though, and All Out is on my list to read. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Currently I'm reading Zap!, by Martha Freeman. When the power goes out in Hampton, New Jersey, and the police don't seem interested in asking the question: Why aren't the techs bringing the grid back online?, sixth-graders Luis and his ex-best friend Maura decide to launch an independent investigation. First, they'll need to find the legendary hacker known as Computer Genius, who lives alone in the abandoned houses of Luis' poor neighborhood. However, someone is targeting them. Someone who thinks they know too much. Someone who'd rather that the lights stay dark forever.

Update: This book was entirely too predictable. I pegged Maura's "uncle" as a schuyster from his very first appearance in the story. But then again, the book was written for 12-year-olds. Maybe I'm just too old.  :rofl:

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

She listed one from 2003 and the rest are from 2012 to the present time.

Except for Annie on My Mind, everything on that list was published long after I’d moved on from a bookstore job in the early-‘90s. As much as I appreciate and enjoy GA, there is a huge gap between the publishing industry and online fiction sites. A wide variety of fiction is available if you know where to find it, but just like cable and streaming services with video, not everyone has access to what many people take for granted. It wouldn’t surprise me if I found out that GA was blocked by some parental filtering software and some countries – or even some schools and libraries!

On the other hand, I stopped into a used bookstore on Castro Street (a store with a relatively short history on the two-block core section of the district that once supported at least three or four bookstores even as recently as the ‘90s). The very young salesperson was experiencing his first day on the job less than a week before the SF Pride Parade. I was looking to find out if there was a hardcover compilation version of Armistead Maupin’s most recent three books in the Tales of the City series. He had never heard of Tales of the City or Armistead Maupin. It turns out that they’ve never published a hardcover version of the final compilation. And that the series is shelved in a completely different part of the store. I told him he needed to read the book(s).  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received my first edition copy of Blood's a Rover by Harlan Ellison and his editor Jason Davis. This complete rewrite of the story of Vic, Blood, and Spike was just published. The joy of reading has been redefined.

Eon by Greg Bear, published 1985 - Kindle edition (currently $3.99)

This book is part of a trilogy: Legacy, Eon and Eternity. Although this is the second book in the series it happens to be the first one published. While Eternity was published three years after Eon, it wasn't until 2014 that Legacy arrived. Eon is considered to be hard science fiction and it is, but it is also a political story and a human one. When a 300 kilometer long potato shaped asteroid pops into the universe the world powers discover that it is not solid. Hollowed out chambers containing ancient cities, long abandoned though formally occupied by humans, but the last chamber... Well, the last chamber extends beyond the dimensions of the asteroid and it leads where, and to what? Every nation wants a piece of the pie, er, potato or the stone as it's called. It turns out the asteroid is from the future but is it our future?!

Exciting read!

Edit: I began this series with this book.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm reading The Magic Misfits, by Neil Patrick Harris. It's about a group of outcast kids who use magic (the David Copperfield, sawing people in half kind of magic) to prevent a troupe of crooked Carnies from stealing every valuable item in town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

I'm reading The Magic Misfits, by Neil Patrick Harris. It's about a group of outcast kids who use magic (the David Copperfield, sawing people in half kind of magic) to prevent a troupe of crooked Carnies from stealing every valuable item in town.

That’s right, he does do magic IRL.  ;–)