What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

18 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

That’s right, he does do magic IRL.  ;–)

The second book in the series appeared on a list of lgbt-inclusive stories on Goodreads, and I'm hopeful that it's not just a clerical error. :)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm rereading the first series of books I ever had, A Series Of Unfortunate Events. also I suggest watching the Netflix version as opposed to the crap-fest starring Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep. Which honestly, was her worst role ever as Aunt Josephine.

• Haha 2
On 7/27/2018 at 10:43 PM, Page Scrawler said:

The second book in the series appeared on a list of lgbt-inclusive stories on Goodreads, and I'm hopeful that it's not just a clerical error. :)

I read the first book by Neil Patrick Harris. One of the MCs had two dads. I was really hoping it would be one of the younger characters, but it was a good story, nonetheless. :)

• Love 1

The Lost Books: The Scroll of Kings, by Sarah Prineas.

"For years, all of the books in the kingdom have been locked up. Is it to keep the books safe from readers? Or...is it to keep readers safe from books? Alex, an apprentice librarian, suspects that books have a secret, powerful history. When his elderly master dies under extremely suspicious circumstances, Alex impersonates the old man so he can take up the position of royal librarian---a job that is far more dangerous than he ever imagined. The young queen, Kenneret, is pretty sure this scruffy, obnoxious boy is not who he claims to be, but she gives Alex time to prove himself---enough time for him to discover that books aren't just powerful, they're alive. Even worse, some of the books possess an ancient magic that kills librarians. A book about weather attacks him with lightning, a book about vines tries to strangle him, and the book about swords...well, you know. It's a good thing Alex knows how to fight. Alex and Kenneret must figure out who, or what, is controlling the books and their power, for the fate of the kingdom lies in their hands."

• Love 1
  • 1 month later...

Sometime After Midnight: A CinderFella Story, by L. Phillips.

Nate Grisheimer is an aspiring guitar artist who's stuck working at his stepmother's ice cream shop. He has raw natural talent, but lacks the skills for lyric-writing.

Richard "Cameron" Pierce, Jr. is the heir to a multimillion-dollar record company which has a reputation for sucking the "soul" out of a musician's performance. Secretly, however, he wants to create songs, not sell them.

After a chance meeting at a night club and a shared love of an Indie group called the Jacket Zippers, they form the start of a connection. But Nate runs away after learning of Cameron's background. How could he ever fall for the scion of the company that drove his Dad to suicide? With the help of Cameron's sister Tess and her legions of social media fans, of course. Let the hunt for the boy with Sharpie-customized Converse shoes begin.

• Haha 1

"Nate Expectations", by Tim Federle. Book three of a trilogy. It's good so far.  :)

Spoiler

Third time’s a charm! Nate Foster returns home to Jankburg, Pennsylvania, to face his biggest challenge yet—high school—in this final novel in the Lambda Literary Award–winning Nate trilogy, which The New York Times calls “inspired and inspiring.”

When the news hits that E.T.: The Musical wasn’t nominated for a single Tony Award—not one!—the show closes, leaving Nate both out of luck and out of a job. And while Nate’s cast mates are eager to move on (the boy he understudies already landed a role on a TV show!), Nate knows it’s back to square one, also known as Jankburg, Pennsylvania. Where horror (read: high school) awaits.

Desperate to turn his life from flop to fabulous, Nate takes on a huge freshman English project with his BFF, Libby: he’s going to make a musical out of Charles Dickens’s Great Expectations. (What could possibly go…right?) But when Nate’s New York crush ghosts him, and his grades start to slip, he finds the only thing harder than being on Broadway is being a freshman — especially when you’ve got a secret you’re desperate to sing out about.

This magical conclusion to Tim Federle’s beloved Nate series is a love letter to theater kids young and not-so-young—and for anyone who ever wondered if they could truly go home again. Especially when doing so means facing everything you thought you’d left behind.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

"Nate Expectations", by Tim Federle. Book three of a trilogy. It's good so far.  :)

Rather than musicals inspired by Spielberg, I think John Hughes would provide better source material! Sixteen Candles or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off would seem to have potential. Of course securing music rights would probably be too expensive…  ;–)

44 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Rather than musicals inspired by Spielberg, I think John Hughes would provide better source material! Sixteen Candles or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off would seem to have potential. Of course securing music rights would probably be too expensive…  ;–)

E.T. almost got a sequel movie, in which evil aliens kidnap Elliott and his friends, but are saved by E.T. at the end. Fortunately, Steven Spielberg had enough integrity to say no...that time.  ;~)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Haha 1
On 10/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, Page Scrawler said:

E.T. almost got a sequel movie, in which evil aliens kidnap Elliott and his friends, but are saved by E.T. at the end. Fortunately, Steven Spielberg had enough integrity to say no...that time.  ;~)

There was a sequel novel that was published. Although I did read it, I cannot remember what the plot was – I don’t think an evil alien kidnapping was involved though. George Lucas did put several E.T.s into the Senate scene in one of the Star Wars prequel trilogy movies. Star Trek's Enterprise was one of the ships shown above Coruscant too.  ;–)

@Page Scrawler, apparently Shelly Long was the first choice to play Elliot’s mother. Shelly has made a career out of playing annoying characters, first as Diane on Cheers, and more recently as DeDe on Modern Family. Dee Wallace was a much warmer mom than Shelly could ever be. Plus Dee managed to fight off a rabid dog in Cujo!  ;–)

Edited by Former Member

I'm reading the Witcher series (Currently on Sword of Destiny) by Andrzej Sapkowski, which is less horrifically toxically masculine than I feared. I'm also reading The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin, which I highly recommend to anyone who likes good thought provoking science fiction and political thought experiments. 

• Love 1

I'm not reading it right now, but I'm looking forward to it: The Music of What Happens, by Bill Konigsberg. Available January 29th, 2019.

Max: Chill. Sports. Video games. Gay and not a big deal, not to him, not to his mom, not to his buddies. And a secret: An encounter with an older kid that makes it hard to breathe, one that he doesn't want to think about, ever.

Jordan: The opposite of chill. Poetry. His "wives" and the Chandler Mall. Never been kissed and searching for Mr. Right, who probably won't like him anyway. And a secret: A spiraling out of control mother, and the knowledge that he's the only one who can keep the family from falling apart.

Throw in a rickety, 1980s-era food truck called Coq Au Vinny. Add in prickly pears, cloud eggs, and a murky idea of what's considered locally sourced and organic. Place it all in Mesa, Arizona, in June, where the temp regularly hits 114. And top it off with a touch of undeniable chemistry between utter opposites. Over the course of one summer, two boys will have to face their biggest fears and decide what they're willing to risk -- to get the thing they want the most.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Add in prickly pears, cloud eggs, and a murky idea of what's considered locally sourced and organic.

I had to use DuckDuckGo to find out what ‘cloud eggs’ were. It wasn’t listed in Dictionary.app (New Oxford American Dictionary and Oxford Dictionary of English). Wikipedia doesn’t even have a page on it!  ;–)

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently reading "The Hours," by Michael Cunningham. The novel won the 1999 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. In 2002, it was a adapted into a film starring Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, and Meryl Streep. The movie was nominated for 9 Academy Awards, winning one for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Nicole Kidman).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I just saw Dee Wallace on NCIS on Tuesday. She was the mom in the 1983 movie version of Cujo. The now-adult and Openly Gay Danny Pintauro was the kid.  ;–)

Him and his fella sell turquoise accessories now in the desert.

Edited by Wesley8890
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

That’s why, despite your claim (‘I’m the desert.’), you aren’t selling turquoise accessories!  ;–)

Stupid autocorrect! I'm just saying he didn't have the merchandise best suited.for me

• Haha 2