What is your idea of a Perfect BBQ?

Tonight I've got this going on...

• hamburgers & corn on the cob grilled.
  • baked beans
  • fries

Grilled corn on the cob: put butter or margarine on corn, sprinkle on garlic powder. wrap in aluminum. cook on the grill on both sides.

What are you guys cooking?

• Like 3

I'm not grilling, but my Vietnamese neighbors are in the alley between my building and theirs cooking something that smells amazing. I have no idea what it is but the smell has been wafting up into my apartment for the better part of an hour now and torturing me. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TetRefine said:

I'm not grilling, but my Vietnamese neighbors are in the alley between my building and theirs cooking something that smells amazing. I have no idea what it is but the smell has been wafting up into my apartment for the better part of an hour now and torturing me. 

Fish Sauce Chicken wings :D

I am not joking, it's actually part of Viet-American cuisine and it's amazing. The salty nature of the fish sauce with some vinegar and sugar makes for a delicious seasoning for chicken wings.

On top of that, I'd go with Texas BBQ ribs, not the dried kind from Memphis.

Burgers from Midwest, Illinois/Wisconsin/Ohio.

Fish Tacos from the california

Cole Slaw and collared greens from Deep South

And Chowder from New England.

• Like 1

--A 1/4 lb burger with white cheddar cheese, bacon, hickory BBQ sauce, and grilled onions, on a grilled bun.

--Fresh cut fries with sea salt, cracked pepper, and Pecorino cheese

--Grilled com on the cob, with chili butter, sea salt, and lime juice

--Peanut butter-rice krispy ice cream sandwiches

That's what I'd like to eat, anyway. :P Maybe a good plan for the 4th of July. :)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1

Where I live, barbecue is a noun, not a verb or an adjective.

Pork shoulders &/or whole hogs are slowly roasted over a pit of hardwood coals (preferable hickory) until it's falling off the bone tender.  Then it's pulled or sliced, optionally chopped, then seasoned with a sauce made of vinegar, water, salt, black pepper & red pepper.  In some parts of the state they add a little tomato ketchup and some sugar to the sauce. The result is barbecue.

It's always served with cole slaw (either red or white).

Corn bread &/or hush puppies (deep fried balls of cornbread preferably including minced onion) are almost always served unless the barbecue and cole slaw are served as a sandwich on a hamburger bun.

Acceptable accompaniments include fried chicken, chicken & pastry, boiled potatoes, potato salad, french fries, tater tots, green beans, baked beans, butter beans, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, sweet corn, fried okra, cucumber & onion salad, scalloped tomatoes, sliced tomatoes, fried green tomatoes and Brunswick stew. 

Dessert is usually banana pudding.

Barbecue is generally eaten at a restaurant that specializes in barbecue or from the catering menu at a big party (takes a lot of people to eat a whole hog :P), but it is possible to produce an acceptable version at home.  Pork shoulder roasted for 6-8 hours at 250 F. degrees then seasoned with sauce including liquid smoke is pretty good.  If prepared outside in a smoker you don't need to add liquid smoke to the sauce.

When I'm grilling, it's usually beef (fajitas is a favorite) or chicken (I've got a recipe that makes a reasonable approximation of Nando's Peri-Peri chicken).

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...