• Site Administrator

With the background knowledge that I have owned every game Bioware has released in the last 20 years from Baldur's Gate (twice in fact, I bought the enhanced edition re-release) to now... I was fully expecting and looking forward to Bioware's new game.  Bioware is known for the high quality stories (the rush job on Mass Effect being the only recent bad blip in recent memory) but there was no story evident in the trailer for Anthem.  I hope this is just trailer emphasis and not the actual total lack of story.  This game reminds me WAY too much of Destiny and The Division.  Two decent games I own... but never ever play.  I like playing a variety of games but some of these games require fanatic dedication to be any good in order to enjoy the MMO-crap they attach to the games.  That said, Bioware has Star Wars The Old Republic which is the only MMO I could ever tolerate because you can basically play completely on your own with great story and not worry too much about the MMO crap.

Anthem... I'm being cautious on.  The graphics look outstanding and the flying mech suits look like great fun.... but...

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it looks visually nice, but I'm not sure if it will be on par with Dragonage as far as story-line and characterization goes... and that's why I play what little video games I do play. But yeah, can't say much wrong about the visuals, the landscapes and open-world look pretty. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

This does strike me as fairly similar to Destiny (with just a bit of "honey, I shrunk the Titanfall").  You have different classes that you can attach different weapons/abilities to.  You're leaving the safe place consistently to go out to fight enemies that look alien.  Most of the join ups look similar to putting together a Fireteam for Destiny.  Overall, I've always like Bioware for the RPGs, but this feels closer to a shooter than an RPG.  If it falls into that same category, it'll have to go up against Destiny 2 already having a market footprint.  Given how long Destiny has remained relevant, and the solid expansions they had, it could be a tough battle.

I'll definitely be curious to see what the game does.  There isn't a ton of info yet, and although it looks good, great visuals aren't nearly enough anymore.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
On 8/6/2017 at 11:17 AM, Acid07 said:

(with just a bit of "honey, I shrunk the Titanfall")

I love that!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Site Administrator

So... I played the demo.  For the first time since Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 (!) I will not be buying a Bioware game at launch.  I'm even okay with Mass Effect Andromeda, minus them setting up some things and totally blowing it.  That wasn't the main studio though.  Anthem is out of the main studio and while the game looks great and it is very cool to fly around in your own personalized Iron Man suit... the game lacks purpose and story per all the reviews.  I'm totally turned off by the multiplayer.  Other people constantly ruin my enjoyment of games.  This little less so since it is not player vs player, but it's still no good. I want to explore on my own and do things instead of having to be teamed up to get anywhere.

Hard pass.  I'll check the bargin bins in a month or 2 when it's down 70% before thinking of getting it.   :(

• Sad 1
On 2/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, Myr said:

So... I played the demo.  For the first time since Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 (!) I will not be buying a Bioware game at launch.  I'm even okay with Mass Effect Andromeda, minus them setting up some things and totally blowing it.  That wasn't the main studio though.  Anthem is out of the main studio and while the game looks great and it is very cool to fly around in your own personalized Iron Man suit... the game lacks purpose and story per all the reviews.  I'm totally turned off by the multiplayer.  Other people constantly ruin my enjoyment of games.  This little less so since it is not player vs player, but it's still no good. I want to explore on my own and do things instead of having to be teamed up to get anywhere.

Hard pass.  I'll check the bargin bins in a month or 2 when it's down 70% before thinking of getting it.   :(

I've been keeping my eye on it, but it has been disappointing to hear about thus far.  The streamers have had some decent material, but overall, not sure the game is at a point that I'm interested yet.  Lots of load time and glitches really slow down the ability of the game to make its way in the RPG world.  I didn't preorder it, but I will give it a shot at some point.  

A bit of a shame that so many games that were in the pipeline have ended up fairly disappointing.  Fallout's move to online (and we all saw how that went), as well as this endeavor makes me miss the days of a pure RPG to buy.  I have to hope that those style games make a resurgence at some point...