How do you celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month?

How do you celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What special things will you do this month?

• I will march in an LGBTQ Pride Parade.
    • I will go to an LGBTQ Pride Parade.
    • I will go to an LGBTQ Rally.
    • I will fly the Rainbow Flag outside my house/apartment.
    • I will put a Rainbow Flag on my desk at work.
    • I will attend an LGBTQ Film Festival.
    • I will attend an LGBTQ concert (chorus/orchestra/etc).
    • I will watch the special programming on PBS or other TV network/station.
    • I will Come Out to somebody.
    • I will read another LGBTQ story here on GA.
    • There are no LGBTQ events in my area.
    • It would not be safe for me to do anything.
    • I am post-Gay. I don't participate.
    • What is ‘LGBTQ Pride Month’?
    • I don’t participate in polls.

This is interesting. I don't usually participate in polls but I couldn't resist this one. However, I can only tick one of these boxes because I'm pretty sure that there are no LGBTQ events in the immediate area where I live. The big city isn't that far away and it's quite gay-friendly there, with plenty of events but I don't plan on attending any. I have marched at pride though on a few occasions in the past in London and here and I've always had a good time. It's not something that I feel that I need to do though. Trudeau will probably grab all the headlines. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

You’re not going to download something special from Netflix or iTunes? There are plenty of suggestions on a couple different threads here in the Lounge and the Pit. Do it for Robbie!  ;-)

Sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll do that.

There is also the possibility of me being lured out of the house to a bar or event in town by a friend or colleague. My record at resisting such attempts in the past has been very poor, and it isn't likely to get any better with age.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll do that.

There is also the possibility of me being lured out of the house to a bar or event in town by a friend or colleague. My record at resisting such attempts in the past has been very poor, and it isn't likely to get any better with age.

You show support to gay youth all year. By writing a gay coming of age story! XOXO

• Like 4

With my advanced age (at least compared with you), I only do one thing to celebrate: Frameline, the San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival. But I plan to be there 10 out of the 11 days (I can’t afford the extra cost Opening and Closing Night Films and it’s not worth my effort to attend the other film showing after the Opening Night Film, but I will see several programs on the final day before the Closing Night Film).

43 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

You show support to gay youth all year. By writing a gay coming of age story! XOXO

I’m sorry I don’t know where on the West Coast you live, but most of the metro areas have some sort of event this month. If you listen to TV and you can get San Francisco’s KOFY-TV, they will be broadcasting the SF Pride Parade during the evening of the 25th from 6-11pm.

In another thread, I mentioned PBS’s special programming this month. POV, a documentary program, has many documentaries available on their site. I’m more aware of the things available for the hearing impaired and haven’t really paid enough attention to the visually impaired. I’ll try to do better in the future…

Edited by Former Member
5 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’m sorry I don’t know where on the West Coast you live, but most of the metro areas have some sort of event this month. If you listen to TV and you can get San Francisco’s KOFY-TV, they will be broadcasting the SF Pride Parade during the evening of the 25th.

In another thread, I mentioned PBS’s special programming this month. POV, a documentary program, has many documentaries available on their site. I’m more aware of the things available for the hearing impaired and haven’t really paid enough attention to the visually impaired. I’ll try to do better in the future…

I grew up outside NYC, spent many years at the parade and booths.

I'm in Vegas now... Not as grand, but sufficient! Haven't decided what to do. I did attend an exhibition yesterday. However; this weekend isn't Pride weekend.

• Like 1
Just now, BlindAmbition said:

I grew up outside NYC, spent many years at the parade and booths.

I'm in Vegas now... Not as grand, but sufficient! Haven't decided what to do. I did attend an exhibition yesterday. However; this weekend isn't Pride weekend.

Today was San José’s Pride Parade day. Los Angeles too.

San Francisco won’t be celebrating until the 25th. Oakland doesn’t have their event until much later. Some of the smaller communities in the Bay Area will also have their own celebrations too.

I’m not an organizer-type, but it only takes a couple people to start an event. It doesn’t have to be big. It could be a rally, a dance, a small film festival, or even a picnic! It doesn’t have to be a community event, it could be a couple of friends getting together. You don’t need to have banners, flags, or posters, but those do help set the mood!

I once helped organize a benefit dance in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. I didn’t do much, but I attended all the meetings and designed the graphics (using extremely primitive methods: literal copy ’n paste using a copy machine – I designed posters, balloons, and the tickets). There were only about a half a dozen of us who managed to do it. We rented a hall in a city park, hired a DJ, purchased some soda to sell, and sold tickets. Looking back, I’m sure one of the guys fronted all the money needed, I never even thought about it at the time.

Canada doesn't celebrate pride Month, per se, though many cities will indeed have their pride celebrations at some point in June because the weather is decent for a few weeks of the month.

I'm actually spending next weekend in Denver for their pride celebrations as part of Outsports, so I'll be marching in the parade with Nike and the Outsports crew. When I come home, Vancouver Pride won't be until August. I'll probably attend the parade, as I don't have anyone I feel comfortable marching with anymore, and all the groups that I would normally join I'm persona non grata. I'll probably use the parade and festival as an opportunity to try and rebuild some bridges with LGBTQ organizations and the LGBTQ wing of The Party, give myself some good graces to return to after my year away from home. If there was a rally I'd consider going to it, but I doubt there will be anything up here in Vancouver. There's always the street party... but I'll probably just end up spending most of Pride weekend curled up with my ex and feeling connected with him.

• Like 2

If that poll response was a serious one, I will attempt to define what LGBTQ Pride Month is.

First of all, LGBTQ means Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer. Occasionally additional letters are appended to the list, including another Q for Questioning, A for Asexual, and I for Intersex. There may be others I am forgetting or are unaware of. I apologize for any omissions.

We celebrate Pride Month in June because there was a series of riots during the last weekend in June, 1969 involving patrons of the Stonewall Inn, a Gay bar in New York City. Since much of the US media is focused solely on the Boston/NYC/DC Axis, it gained more publicity than similar events that occurred in previous years in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

In the US, LGBTQ Pride month is one of many months that celebrate our rich diversity and heritage.

• January is African-American Heritage Month (chosen to commemorate the birthdays of Abe Lincoln and Frederick Douglas – not because it’s the shortest month as some comedians suggest).
  • Women’s History Month is March (because of International Women’s Day).
  • May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (commemorates the first Japanese immigrants arrival in the US and the Chinese workers who helped with the completion of the first transcontinental railroad across the US).
  • June is LGBTQ Pride Month (sometimes Heritage Month)
  • Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated between September 15 and October 15 – why? because Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua gained their independence on September 15, 1821. Independence days for Mexico (Sept 16), Chile (Sept 18), and Belize (Sept 21) are clustered together too. Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples’ Day is observed on the second Monday of October, which also falls within that month.

There are other Heritage History Months, but these are the ones PBS seems to recognize.

Last year I went with a few friends up to New York for Pride and it was a ton of fun. The parties at night were great, and the parade was lined with 2.5 million people. 

This year I'll stay home in Philadelphia, and probably just hit the bars and stuff on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't really have much of an appetite to go to the festival and parade on Sunday. 

I guess my biggest celebration will be starting my "short" story that I've been planning now for a little bit. 

• Like 3

This past weekend was Pride in my area. :) (Voted for Rally as it seemed like the closest option for if one goes to Pride but there isn't a parade.) For our after party, we had to find a friendly enough venue; the one gay bar/club we had around here closed up shortly after Pride in 2015. :( Still, it went off very well.

And by chance I started reading a story I hadn't yet read just the other day.

• Like 2
On 2017-06-12 at 1:03 PM, TetRefine said:

Last year I went with a few friends up to New York for Pride and it was a ton of fun. The parties at night were great, and the parade was lined with 2.5 million people. 

This year I'll stay home in Philadelphia, and probably just hit the bars and stuff on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't really have much of an appetite to go to the festival and parade on Sunday. 

I guess my biggest celebration will be starting my "short" story that I've been planning now for a little bit. 

Yeah, I heard that NYC is a great place to be for Pride. One year I'll go down there, it's not as far as California.

• Like 3
On 2017-06-12 at 5:16 AM, droughtquake said:

If that poll response was a serious one, I will attempt to define what LGBTQ Pride Month is

It tells me that there are a lot of people out there who want to read stories.:read:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Dodger said:

It tells me that there are a lot of people out there who want to read stories.:read:

I try to provide answers for smart-alecs like me, but it’s always a good idea to avoid making assumptions about what someone might know. You have to learn things somewhere. And not everyone feels confident enough to ask…  ;-)

In the UK most pride events are in August. I attend two one in a nearby city where i participate in the parade (last year i helped carry the flag, this year i am hoping to be a bucket collector), and one in my home town it's our first parade this year. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Caz Pedroso said:

this year i am hoping to be a bucket collector

People in the UK are really weird! Why would you celebrate Pride by collecting buckets? Such a strange hobby to have!  ;-)

Just kidding. I’m guessing that means you’ll carry a bucket to collect monetary donations along the parade route?

On 6/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Dodger said:

Yeah, I heard that NYC is a great place to be for Pride. One year I'll go down there, it's not as far as California.

Yes it is. The sheer amount of people (and sexy ones at that) alone make it an amazing experience. I think one of these days I want to try San Francisco or LA for Pride. 

• Like 3
On 6/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Dodger said:

I found this video a while ago. It's a couple of years old, so the little guy is probably closer to 10 now, but he is absolutely fearless! :)

Pride Week in Traverse City is from June the 21st to the 25th. The best part (the Parade) will be saved for the last day, and Morgan and I are getting married on the 24th, so we'll be attending as a married couple this year! :D

• Like 3
On 15 June 2017 at 5:21 PM, droughtquake said:

People in the UK are really weird! Why would you celebrate Pride by collecting buckets? Such a strange hobby to have!  ;-)

Just kidding. I’m guessing that means you’ll carry a bucket to collect monetary donations along the parade route?

Lol, yes and the profits and collections from the pride events get shared between several charities. 

• Like 3