Sorry to be that person. But I have had this memory of a story I read nagging at the back of my brain and I can't find it and really want to reread it.

The story was set in the medieval type of era. The only thing I definitely remember from the story was that the main character fell in love with a lord, and helped expose a conspiracy by nobles to overthrow the King. However, because he'd been servant to one of the nobles (a count, I think) he was worried he'd be blamed for helping them. One of the last chapters, he thinks they've found him guilty and that they're going to execute him. He's taken to a surprise ceremony which he thinks is his execution but it ends up being that he actually going to be knighted as reward for his heroism. His lover, the lord, blames himself not telling him ahead of time, thinking it'd be a nice surprise, not realising what the main character was thinking was going to happen.

I also think that the story began with the main character sold into slavery by his parents, as a sex slave to a rich count. Years later lords come to visit, to blame the Count for stealing from them. Later the count boasts of his plans to poison one of the lord's and the main character saves him. But I might be confusing two different stories here.

Edited by Wicked Witch
  • Like 2