Fantasy Football Early Thoughts

With the HoF game played, the 2017-18 NFL Preseason has begun.  Position battles, injuries, and off the field drama will be interesting to watch over the next few weeks (gotta feel for a guy getting his dog stolen, being misidentified as a thief, and being cut from the team in a week), but most of the stars are pretty well-defined.  So, who ya got?  Who do you think is overrated or do you have concerns about as we enter this season?  What sleepers are you thinking about?

To start things off, my early thoughts on RBs.  We've got Bell, who was great and isn't facing a suspension at this point (a big issue last year).  We've got Elliot, who could face suspension, and also the concern of a sophomore slump (like Gurley had last year).  David Johnson is coming off of a great 2016.  There are position splits emerging, rookies eyeing starting jobs, and players coming out of retirement to play (and hopefully attend press conferences so they don't get fined).  Personally I think Bell is one of the safest bets as long as he can stay on the field, especially since Ben seems to get hurt fairly regularly, but there are a handful of viable options for those early picks.

Time for some football!

• 4 months later...

Well I got knocked out 1st round of playoffs:

Last line up:

QB: Jared Goff

RB: Devonte Freeman

RB: Kenyan Drake

Flex: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Brandin Cooks

WR: Devin Funchess

TE: Travis Kelce

DST: Rams

Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski

My oppenent had:

QB: Philip Rivers

RB: Todd Gurley

RB: Alvin Kamara

WR:  Antonio Brown

WR: Josh Gordon

TE: Jimmy Graham

DST: Vikings

K: Kai Forbath

Flex:

• Wow 1
On 12/23/2017 at 10:08 PM, W_L said:

Well I got knocked out 1st round of playoffs:

Last line up:

QB: Jared Goff

RB: Devonte Freeman

RB: Kenyan Drake

Flex: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Brandin Cooks

WR: Devin Funchess

TE: Travis Kelce

DST: Rams

Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski

My oppenent had:

QB: Philip Rivers

RB: Todd Gurley

RB: Alvin Kamara

WR:  Antonio Brown

WR: Josh Gordon

TE: Jimmy Graham

DST: Vikings

K: Kai Forbath

Flex:

Your opponent had one heck of a lineup.  Gurley & Kamara were a great fantasy RB duo (one that I used as well hehe).  Add in Brown and that would be a great trio (until Brown got hurt).  Looking back on the original post, Gurley out-performed pretty much everyone in there and will likely be considered a high draft option next season unless something happens between now and then (though Bell had a great season too).  There were also solid years from some veterans like McCoy & Ingram.

It definitely turned out to be an interesting season.  Rookies emerged (Kamara, McCaffrey, Fournette, Hunt, Cohen) and others looked great before injury (Watson, Cook).  The juggernaut offense in New Orleans made stars out of Thomas, Ingram, and Kamara.  Injuries hit draft favorites hard, with Johnson and Beckham going down fairly early (and Brown late in the season).  Lynch didn't look awful coming out of retirement, but Cutler didn't do much with his return.  Luck sat out the season and the remaining Manning got benched.

Then again, the NFL season has been an interesting one, even as ratings took a hit.  The Eagles looked impressive under Wentz.  The Rams and, probably more notably, the Jaguars put together impressive season.  As the regular season wraps up, I look forward to seeing the playoffs this year.  Game time!

True,  I lost my first RB, Johnson early in the season, so I had to run by waivers, then came up with Drake. Freeman was my only consistent player.

I was banking on Brandin cooks being the 2nd coming of Randy Moss, but he ended being another Julian Edelman, good but nothing special.

Jared Goff was a real good choice though for me, he's going to be a good QB for most leagues next season, even if Gurley gets most points.Even though I prefer Patriots to win in AFC, I think the Rams will beat out Philly in the playoffs on the NFC front if the Vikings don't finish off Foles, he's just not up to Carson Wentz's caliber, who if he was playing I'd be really scared of facing in the super bowl. Jared Goff is still a good QB at heart with a strong run game and I'd love to bookend Brady's career of Super Bowls with a win against the 1st team he beat in the Super bowl.