Encourage a Loyal Reader. Finish Your Stories

I am an addicted reader. I am the wife of an author. I get life "gets in the way" sometimes. BUT if you start a story FINISH IT!!!  I can not tell you how many times I found a talented author and started a great story. I was so taken with the author  I sought out everything else they had ever written.  I have gotten totally immersed the in story, cried with the characters, laughed with the characters, and then was left hanging.....nothing .....day after day....week after week......checking, checking, checking...and then finally the story is tagged "On Hold". Or is still tagged as "In Process" but no chapters have been added in years. Or maybe the worse scenario, the author rushes out a totally  unsatisfying, unfulfilling, incomplete, disappointing ending just to tie up loose ends to stop the loyal readers from commenting 'where is the next chapter?'.

I have been disappointed by some huge names in M/M genre and the shame of it is is that I no longer trust any writer who writes in serial format. I know I am missing out on a lot of great talent. I know I am cheating new authors by not giving them a chance. But I'm soooo tired of being disappointed. 

Several of my biggest disappointments from this site. (And this is not the only site this is happening on)

" My Guardian Angel is a Cockblocker"     "Second Shot - Senior Year"       "Thwarted"             "Lavender & Gold"

I know you will say that these are old stories and I should get over it. I know I sound petty. I know I sound bitter. 

But I LOVE THESE AUTHORS and I feel they are doing a disservice to not only the reader but to other authors. 

PLEASE for the love of fiction finish what you start.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, arey said:

My Guardian Angel is a Cockblocker

I'm having difficulties finding this one. The title alone seems interesting.

I have one that is "In Process" but it's active. Next installment is with my editors.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, arey said:

I am an addicted reader. I am the wife of an author. I get life "gets in the way" sometimes. BUT if you start a story FINISH IT!!!  I can not tell you how many times I found a talented author and started a great story. I was so taken with the author  I sought out everything else they had ever written.  I have gotten totally immersed the in story, cried with the characters, laughed with the characters, and then was left hanging.....nothing .....day after day....week after week......checking, checking, checking...and then finally the story is tagged "On Hold". Or is still tagged as "In Process" but no chapters have been added in years. Or maybe the worse scenario, the author rushes out a totally  unsatisfying, unfulfilling, incomplete, disappointing ending just to tie up loose ends to stop the loyal readers from commenting 'where is the next chapter?'.

I have been disappointed by some huge names in M/M genre and the shame of it is is that I no longer trust any writer who writes in serial format. I know I am missing out on a lot of great talent. I know I am cheating new authors by not giving them a chance. But I'm soooo tired of being disappointed. 

Several of my biggest disappointments from this site. (And this is not the only site this is happening on)

" My Guardian Angel is a Cockblocker"     "Second Shot - Senior Year"       "Thwarted"             "Lavender & Gold"

I know you will say that these are old stories and I should get over it. I know I sound petty. I know I sound bitter. 

But I LOVE THESE AUTHORS and I feel they are doing a disservice to not only the reader but to other authors. 

I can feel for you arey. I have been in the situation as a reader. But sometimes life just not got you. It ends sometimes too. I have experienced it as a reader. But the same comes to me as a writer and I know how my readers are disappointed in me. But you are right. No matter what you have to complete what you have started. I'll do my best to not to disappoint my readers. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, arey said:

Hi @arey

First off, let me say that I'm so glad you love my writing. That is something I love hearing. In regards to Thwarted, it ended how it was always supposed to. Though I know many weren't happy where I ended the story. They wanted more. However,  I don't plan on that being the last we see of the guys. I do have a sequel planned, but since before and after finishing Thwarted, there have been numerous medical issues for both myself and members of my family. The sequel will come, but before that happens, I am working to finish Forging Trust as it has been on hold way too long without a resolution. Because I don't want to rush the ending, I am revising everything so that the new and old will be more cohesive. I will start reposting it once it is complete.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ron said:

It is public knowledge on the site that the author of Lavender & Gold has been suffering from depression—this information can be found in some of the topic threads. We are a good group of people of here and, well, we are also a pretty long suffering group, too, and that, I think, must come with the territory of online serial publishing. What are you going to do? I will say that Thorn Wilde is a pretty special person who happens to be a pretty special writer as well, and we wish only the best for Thorn because that's the kind of people we are here, too.

Additionally, having another passionate reader join GA is a very good thing, arey. I'm sure every author here looks forward to hearing from you and reading your comments on their stories as you discover them. Happy reading!

I'm sorry to hear that Thorn is strugglling with The Beast.

I suffer from Depression too. It's one of the reasons I write. A lot of authors are like this.

I'm always under the impression that great art comes from pain. The most haunting songs come from a hurting heart and the most poiniant of stories come from an experience that has lived some of that poiniancy.

Perhaps, when Thorn returns, a new story may be in the offering that will reflect this difficult time and be a masterpiece we can all become obsessed with.

Sometimes baking bread is a time consuming and boring process, but the end result is worth it. :)

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MrM said:

I'm sorry to hear that Thorn is strugglling with The Beast.

I suffer from Depression too. It's one of the reasons I write. A lot of authors are like this.

I'm always under the impression that great art comes from pain. The most haunting songs come from a hurting heart and the most poiniant of stories come from an experience that has lived some of that poiniancy.

Perhaps, when Thorn returns, a new story may be in the offering that will reflect this difficult time and be a masterpiece we can all become obsessed with.

Sometimes baking bread is a time consuming and boring process, but the end result is worth it. :)

Your words are always so uplifting MrM. :heart:

On 8/21/2017 at 2:27 PM, BHopper2 said:

My Guardian Angel is a Cockblocker

Still looking for this story. Anyone know what site it's on? It's not on GA, or my search-fu really sucks.

On 8/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, arey said:

Are you paying for it? If not, then the author doesn't owe you anything. Life is a bitch sometimes, and writing a free story on an amateur site usually goes pretty far down the priority list when life gets busy. Don't want to be disappointed? Then just stick to stories that are already completed. It really isn't that hard.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2017 at 10:40 PM, TetRefine said:

Are you paying for it? If not, then the author doesn't owe you anything. Life is a bitch sometimes, and writing a free story on an amateur site usually goes pretty far down the priority list when life gets busy. Don't want to be disappointed? Then just stick to stories that are already completed. It really isn't that hard.

I feel the op's frustration with stories that just stop but I agree that the author doesn't owe me anything. Sometimes i'll send an email to the author asking about completing the story. Sometimes I get an answer, many times not.

• Like 2