Music to Write To

• Site Administrator

Comsie made a great recommendation to me years ago... Two Steps From Hell

I also listen to Hans Zimmer and John Williams 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Administrator

I also like Klaus Badelt (Pirates of the Caribbean).  Though he is a protege of Hans Zimmer, I think.

• Like 3

I  create musical soundtracks. The one for the Seashell actually predated the book. It was what inspired the story and became its outline, ultimately. I've done this with most of my writing projects. I've also done some for other authors. My one for Comsie's Gone From Daylight is absolutely heartbreaking!

The Seashell one is based on the album by Brothertiger called Out of Touch with ambient textures from The Pearl by Harold Budd and Brian Eno. Eno is probably my favorite instrumentalist. No other artist that I know can make '3D music' like he can.

Here's the playlist for The Seashell:

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

That's a great idea @MrM. Never thought about putting together a playlist of songs, like that.

Thank you. The songs help bring forth the emotional impact of a certain chapter or scene a lot of times.

I try to reference these Musical Outlines in my stories at the beginning if it makes sense to do so. I document them in the Blogs section. Unfortunately, for some reason, the links to my blogs aren't working or I'd link those up. The oulines need updating, though. I'm always fiddling with an outline until it fits just right. Sometimes the story takes a turn that needs a new song! Hehehehe!

That was the case with this song from Snowflake: A Love Story. It actually has ended up being an emotional high for the whole story! It helps that the Legends are a Swedish band! hehehehe!

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the music is very important when I'm writing, and I use it to reflect the character(s) I am writing about, their mood, and their personality.  So everyone has their own soundtrack.

• Like 4

I used to make soundtracks for stories I work on.  Reach has one, NTS has one.  Now I've gotten to the point where I can't write if a song with lyrics are playing, it is too distracting, so I don't do that as often.  Instrumentals and classical are my new go-tos when sitting down to write.  

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On September 26, 2017 at 1:43 PM, BHopper2 said:

Another submission: Creation

11 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

A twofer:

I love these 'cinematic' pieces, @BHopper2. This is often the kind of thing that I like for set themes for entire story blocks.

I found this one for @Comicality for the Gone From Daylight one I did. I eventually trimmed it and used it in a promo piece that I'll see if he'll release here when he does his next GFD update. It captures the character 'Justin' quite nicely in my mind.

It's called 'The Last Sunset', by Matt Bowdler of the Unfinished

• Love 1

I have a TON of playlists for every story that I write! Hahaha! Way too many to post here!

But whenever I'm writing something particularly 'dark' (As I usually do) and I need some atmospheric music that won't be distracting...I go to Cryo Chamber.

It's a youtube channel, updated frequently, and it has a lot of dark ambient music that I can put on to get me in the right mood and write my stories without getting pulled away from the task at hand. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cryochamberlabel

It really depends on the story you're writing. But this is what I use for stuff like "GFD", "Savage Moon", "Shelter", etc.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...