Music to Write To

On 11/24/2017 at 6:03 PM, BHopper2 said:

My latest that I work too:

They should have just done this for the next Star Wars Trilogy. This storyline was SOOO amazing! It has become iconic in the gaming world. 

The musical selections are glorious! Thanks @BHopper2

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, MrM said:

They should have just done this for the next Star Wars Trilogy. This storyline was SOOO amazing! It has become iconic in the gaming world. 

The musical selections are glorious! Thanks @BHopper2

There was a petion when Disney first got the rights to Star Wars for them to have BioWare do a Feature Lenght Cinematic based on The Old Republic Timeline. 

The response was, to put the Canonization team in with the BioWare on the SW:TOR project, and some elements have been canonized.

So it's possible they will make a full movie or more!

• Like 2

Not sure if it counts as "music", but a while ago I found this compilation of ambience sounds. I think it's pretty complete, and it has stuff that I didn't even know existed (who knew airport background noise was a thing people listened to?) Some pure soul also took the time to compile most of the links in this YouTube playlist.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, comicfan said:

Music will vary depending on the mood I'm going for. Happy, sad, travelling,  peaceful, angry, and others. Music always tells a story and sets a mood. Always helpful.

I find that having the right music on tends to put your mind in the right frame.  It also gets you out of your own mood and into the mood of your character (old RPG habit I picked up) but I rend to run old school and use songs from the 60's through to the 90's.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Parker Owens said:

Funny, I ran through a whole bunch of songs writing A to ZMuch of it was pretty sappy.

Oh, I had an entire soundtrack of sappy love songs to listen to while I was writing The Acquittal.  Helped me through a lot of those harder scenes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I made a Spotify playlist for myself that I called 'Erotic'. You know, for writing... that kind of thing... :blushing: Asked for input from my friends for songs that gave them that kind of feeling. Not necessarily about sex, mind you, just music that gives you that little 'ngh' when you listen to it. Ended up with all kinds of things on it, from pop music to heavy metal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

So, I'm writing and listening to the "soundtrack" of my story.  

1. Royals - Lorde

2. No Air - Jordan Sparks

3. Jar of Hearts - Christina Perri

4. Killing me Softly - Roberta Flack

5. Thank U - Alanis Morisette

6. Wicked Game - Chris Issac

7. This Masquerade - The Carpenters

8. Someday - Nickelback (shut up)

9. Uninvited - Alanis Morisette

10. The Kill - 30 seconds to Mars

11. Rolling in the Deep - Adele

12. Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots

13. Not the Only One - Bonnie Raitt

Dunno why I always seem to pick exactly 13 songs...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I found a bunch of cool playlists on Spotify, for focusing. Mostly instrumental stuff, or at least non-intrusive. Posting links for those who happen to use Spotify.

Some good jazz:

Chill-out tunes for reading, also work for writing:

This one calls itself Creativity Boost. Not so much for the writing itself, maybe, but it gives you some go:

And this one's my favourite. Bunch of aerial post-rock tracks, good for concentration. Love!

I've also taken to listening to the band Indochine. They're French, and they sing mostly in French, too. I don't speak French, so it works out nicely and I don't get distracted by the lyrics.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm... My music to write by is silence. :huh:  Even editing or doing little tweaks, if there's anything on, TV, radio, whatever, it gets filtered out completely.  ;)

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

This is really cool to see what other people listen to.

I definitely like to have music on while writing, and for a while I had a very specific playlist that I listened to while writing. Now I'm more likely to just put iTunes on random and play; though I do skip a lot of things.

For my book, each chapter had a song attached to it, and I did create a Playlist of those songs, and listen to them a lot of the time while writing because they did relate to parts of the story in one way or another...but then I think I got tired of the songs!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Since Halloween is around the corner, last year I came up with a horrifying story that is just deliciously evil! 😈 I named it after the character which is a new word I concocted putting together Umbra and Death (Shadow of Death), Umbereth! He is basically what happens to a spirit when it becomes consumed with revenge and hatred because of how it was killed. He was an antagonist to a previous story I wrote which makes this a prequel to that story.

Anyway, the soundtrack for Umbereth is great for Halloween if you're stuck this year at home and need to have a Halloween Horror Movie party all by yourself. :D