Halloween Haunted House Game

• Site Administrator
c764a4b1-a898-4576-8e1d-e467eafffa5b.png
New Game! Halloween Haunted House
27786870-9041-456e-a63f-e159c2685ef5.jpg
The man above made the mistake of going into a haunted house... one he thought was just a fun way to give himself a silly scare on a dare from some friends. 

But no...

This haunted house is different, and the curse means he has to go back, night after night, until he's entered each and every room. The denizens of this house are not just actors in costumes, they're real monsters out to get their revenge on humans who use their legends as foolish folklore. 

Authors: Take the shudder-inducing spook you chose as your worst nightmare and have them torture our ignorant human until he either runs screaming from the house or stumbles out in near catatonia. 

The choice is yours!

Human character: Eddie Olsen, Age 29. He’s a single store manager and a bit arrogant about being above all the silliness of Halloween. He’s not afraid of anything… yet!

*Keep it short, 500-1500 words and post your piece unpublished by Oct. 27th. Send Cia the link so she can publish and feature your spooky character and a snippet from the story in the newsletter on Sunday, Oct. 29th. If you want to play along, and haven't picked what fright night creeper freaks you out the most, PM Cia with your choice so you can start writing! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Don't forget this part from the latest newsletter:

The Halloween fun continues with the flash fiction challenge I posted last week! Remember, you're supposed to write from the POV of the creepy creature you chose to freak you out the most, and you're trying to scare the human character, Eddie Olsen, that I provided you until he flees the haunted house!

Well, I've only just seen this, and my story's now written. I've done it the other way round - writing from Eddie's point of view. @Cia does this disqualify me? It took me long enough to get going.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Hmm... well it really was supposed to traumatize you by forcing you to assume the persona/identity/creep that really freaks you out... :devil: but I guess if you follow the general gist of the prompt of the haunted house, and at least include the freaky supernatural being you previously chose, I'll allow it. I think I was too vague with the overall outline of this prompt game. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Cia said:

Hmm... well it really was supposed to traumatize you by forcing you to assume the persona/identity/creep that really freaks you out... :devil: but I guess if you follow the general gist of the prompt of the haunted house, and at least include the freaky supernatural being you previously chose, I'll allow it. I think I was too vague with the overall outline of this prompt game. 

Not sure if the prompt was vague. I didn't read all the information until too late (ie my brain had hatched a plan and wouldn't budge). 

• Like 2

I think the first time round, it wasn't made clear whose pov you were meant to be using. Either that, or I read what I wanted to ... 

Certainly, mine has the house, the frights, and our hero taking to his heels.  :funny:

• Like 4

Mine doesn't quite get to him running out screaming, coz, if he encountered MY horror . . . it would already be too late for him to run.

~cackle~

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2

I've rewritten it about 3 times now. Not sure I'm gonna make the deadline on this one. It keeps turning out like crap... and way too political. (But when you choose a boogieman that can shapeshift, and can read your mind, well....)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I've rewritten it about 3 times now. Not sure I'm gonna make the deadline on this one. It keeps turning out like crap... and way too political. (But when you choose a boogieman that can shapeshift, and can read your mind, well....)

It's just a short story for fun, so don't be so hard on yourself. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

@Solus Magus I can't fully recall, but I believe it was a "Creature of the Night," any of them. Anything that personally scared, you. Then you write from that critter's POV.

Thank you for the heads up @BHopper2 :D

The night is indeed dark and many creatures await under the blanket of shadows.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Solus Magus said:

I'm already excited for Friday! :D 

If you mean for reading the stories, they're due to go live sometime on Sunday, as it's a newsletter game.  :)

Yeah, I'm curious to see what / who everyone else has chosen.  😨😨

• Like 3