Readers, What Do You Skip?

32 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

There’s also a trend I’ve been seeing. Absolutely drives me crazy. Having characters from one story of the author, visit another story of the author. One scene, or chapter is fine. Don’t keep doing it. It shows an author is out of ideas. Maybe author needs to step back and reevaluate the course of the story.

I had no idea this was a thing.  How does that even work?

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

There’s also a trend I’ve been seeing. Absolutely drives me crazy. Having characters from one story of the author, visit another story of the author. One scene, or chapter is fine. Don’t keep doing it. It shows an author is out of ideas. Maybe author needs to step back and reevaluate the course of the story.

I've noticed this trend, too. If multiple stories contain the same characters, the author should connect them together as one story, not post them as individual pieces.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

I've noticed this trend, too. If multiple stories contain the same characters, the author should connect them together as one story, not post them as individual pieces.

Yes Sir. We are of the same mind on this.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Yes Sir. We are of the same mind on this.

If an author writes several stories that present one cohesive series, I think that's great. But it has to be done for that purpose, not just different stories written with the same characters.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

They’ll take one or two popular characters from one of their stories and drop into a scenario with popular characters of another of their stories.

Should i have Faris and James drop by Louis and Don's...LOL 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
36 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Finally, I have two separate series where the two characters from one make frequent appearances in the other one. I think of it as a spin-off type thing even though it wasn't the original plan. In a way it's good marketing. I get to plug my own stories! LOL

That's how I found CJ, so I have to agree with this type of marketing. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Love this idea. I’m going to be waiting, now. 

you're sweet Parker but it is not a good idea.. at least not for me.. please dont hold your breath waiting... 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

Umm, that would be a very interesting collaboration. They do better separate. 😂

joking, jp,  LOL ... it will never happen

• Like 3

Well, as I mentioned earlier I like details. I've actually stopped reading stories, some here on GA, when there is no detail.

Example:

Billy Bob, and Joe Blow were walking in a park.

"So what do you want to do today?" Bob asked.

"I don't know..." Jow replied.

*I the reader hits the back button, and rate the story 1 star for lack of detail*

What sort of park was it? Are there other people around? What did it look like?  Paint the picture. Tell, don't show.

37 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Well, as I mentioned earlier I like details. I've actually stopped reading stories, some here on GA, when there is no detail.

Example:

Billy Bob, and Joe Blow were walking in a park.

"So what do you want to do today?" Bob asked.

"I don't know..." Jow replied.

*I the reader hits the back button, and rate the story 1 star for lack of detail*

What sort of park was it? Are there other people around? What did it look like?  Paint the picture. Tell, don't show.

To me, that sort of writing is neither telling nor showing. Just barren words strung together in naked sentences. Not a story. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1