Changing Text For Images

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I was just trying to change the text associated with my images in my Gallery so that would be audible rather than the url...in the old way, I think you could control that, but with the new layout, I can't seem to do that.  I tried altering the Description by inserting a word or two describing what the picture is, but when I went to it on the associated page, all I hear is the url, even after refreshing the page.

What did I do wrong?  Is this handled by a tag instead?  I called up the details by right clicking the image where it appears, and it gave the url under 'Associated Text', but I can't find how to change that in the Image Gallery...

Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

In the gallery: There is not a place to add alt-text to an image when you upload it to the gallery. What appears when I pass my mouse over an image adding from the gallery (like below) is the story title, however. So making that a short description might also be what you want. If you want to include a more in-depth description with the image, the description is where to do it there. 

However, I also found a place where you can add a note to an existing image. If you move the mouse over the upper right corner of the gray box around the image you're viewing, a variety of options appear. I have the option to 'Add Note' in one of them. Clicking on that brings up a field on the image itself (I did not selection the place) where I can add a note. Then, once I saved that, when I scroll my mouse over that place on the image in the gallery, the note appears appears there. You would have to go to the image to test if it reads off the note to describe. 

So, you can use the image title, image description, and/or image note (if you have that option. As staff, I am never 100% sure what options members have versus staff). I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do and where you want the alt-text to appear with your images, but those options should help cover the basics. 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution
31 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

like Beach Sunset. Instead of 06974-6747jpg.

Somebody would have to title it that way.  The default title for images is the file name...

• Like 3

I just went through my image gallery and changed the caption/title of each picture, and on a couple of them I added the 'Note' Cia mentioned...but those only seem to show up when I'm in the Gallery itself.  One of the pictures is on my Jay & Miles cover page, and it's called 'Downtown', with the note reading 'JM Main Street'.  When I mouse over it on the story front page, all I get is the url narration, nothing pops up to show either the title or note...same with the image in chapter 2, which should pop up as School Aerial View.

I tried refreshing the pages, and even closed and restarted my browser.

It all works in the Gallery when I view the images there, but not elsewhere onsite.

Ideas?

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

I just tried inserting the 'JM Main Street' image in the post above, and it showed up, but again, the only audible cue was the url, and no pop up text showing the image title or note...I just don't know what I'm doing wrong...sigh.

My signature has a new title too, and that doesn't show up or get read either.

What's strange is that Cia's Purple Bee text shows up fine, though the url is still read, but ends with something like 'purple bee eater embed'....

Could this be it: I just noticed the way I usually get the image url is to 'view' it in the Gallery, and right click and do 'copy location'...but that is different from what I see in the address bar in my browser if I'm just viewing it in the Gallery...so should I copy from the browser address bar instead?

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2