Age Group Clarification

Go to solution Solved by Cia,

What types of story content are banned from GA

• Stories with characters that are not like age groups. A 15 and 18 year-old couple in high school are a like age group even if one is technically ‘overage’. A 13 and a 19 year-old couple are not like age groups. Minors and adults are NEVER like age groups.

I have a quick question about this. I'm currently writing a story, where the Main Character just turned 18, and his current longterm partner, is 16. They are 13 months different in age, based on my stories' set background, and met when they were 10 and 11, respectively. (They were Best Friends who grew into something more.) 

What is acceptable for them to do in a relationship with GA? I'm assuming no sex, but is holding hands, cuddling, hugs, and kisses acceptable, or no?

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

Well, just think about what you described. Are they both in a similar place in their life and maturity? Clearly, if they grew up together, then yes, that would make them in a like-age group. 10 and 11 year olds can't do anything graphic, but  you said they were just friends to start of with anyhow And16 is the age of consent in most US states anyway. Sexual content would not be restricted.

You can always send me these kinds of story-specific questions via PM, btw.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 11:06 AM, Cia said:

Well, just think about what you described. Are they both in a similar place in their life and maturity? Clearly, if they grew up together, then yes, that would make them in a like-age group. 10 and 11 year olds can't do anything graphic, but  you said they were just friends to start of with anyhow And16 is the age of consent in most US states anyway. Sexual content would not be restricted.

You can always send me these kinds of story-specific questions via PM, btw.  

HI Cia, since this topic was open, how strict is the age group rule between minors (before the age of consent, 16) and adults, if no sex is involved. I know Carlos has CJ story where is bf is 6 years older, but sex only started after 16. I have an idea (that I am not sure I will ever try to write) of a late 15 year old (almost 16) that would fall in love with and older friend of a family member after some tragic event (something like brother or cousin friend, 23 to 24 years). Sex would never occur before the 16 birthday, but they would probably talk about their feelings, cuddling or hugging. No abuse or exploitation of the age difference, actually the 15/16 would probably be the stronger personality and the 23 the more reticent one due to the age difference.

Anyway I am not sure i will ever try to write it, but would like to know if it would be GA acceptable.

• Site Administrator

Hi @Sweetlion If the relationship isn't one that includes coercive elements such as the person being someone of influence (teacher, family friend person/someone in charge of behavior, religious leader, etc....) then it would most likely be acceptable if the age gap isn't too extreme. The same element of 'like age group' really does need to apply because we don't want to showcase stories where someone of a much greater maturity level is grooming a young teen either. Not saying your story idea is like that, but it's an overall line we try not to cross. 

• Like 4

I think a good story will always be looked on as favorably as possible within the guidelines.  Cia is the lead of the writer support team and if you have a story that may be considered controversial, you can always ask her team to take a look at it before it is posted for their input and suggestions.  That's what I did before I published Abel III's Awakening and they were very helpful.  

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 3
  • 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Ok...they can be friends until 13...right? 

If I remember reading the rules yes, but do not forget that the younger has to be 13, so the other would be 15. They can still hug or cuddle like friends do, just nothing romantic or sexual. But Via can answer any doubt you have.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Sweetlion said:

If I remember reading the rules yes, but do not forget that the younger has to be 13, so the other would be 15. They can still hug or cuddle like friends do, just nothing romantic or sexual. But Via can answer any doubt you have.

What I'm trying to write is a 13 who is in love with a straight 17 year old,  but the 11 year old (the brother of the 17 year old) is making a pest of himself. The 13 year old is trying to get him to be friends with his 10 year old brother or 7 year old sister. It will be a funny, serious and romantic story, but no sex for the first 6 chapters (The first 6 chapters will move the story up to 2 years, but his family has friends and relatives who are gay.)

• Site Administrator

@BabyXander1990 13 and 17 year olds are both minors in the US, but if they are in a romantic relationship they need to be a "like-age group". This means you shouldn't write a very juvenile 13 year old who reads as younger and a very mature 17 year old who reads as someone older, for instance, even if they are both underage they are not in a similar mental/physical state of mind and being. You can have other characters under the age of 13 in stories, but they cannot be involved in any sort of romance nor can overtly personal details about them or their bodies be written in a sexual manner. I hope that answers your questions. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cia said:

@BabyXander1990 13 and 17 year olds are both minors in the US, but if they are in a romantic relationship they need to be a "like-age group". This means you shouldn't write a very juvenile 13 year old who reads as younger and a very mature 17 year old who reads as someone older, for instance, even if they are both underage they are not in a similar mental/physical state of mind and being. You can have other characters under the age of 13 in stories, but they cannot be involved in any sort of romance nor can overtly personal details about them or their bodies be written in a sexual manner. I hope that answers your questions. 

I got the answer. Thanks...

The two boys are neighbors and the neighborhood is upper middle class. The older boy (Cody) will be narrating the first two chapters (I think).