Like count on chapter comments

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I don't know if this is a real bug, or perhaps something which will be fixed with the next update, but I simply have to ask this curious question.

In my activity stream on my profile I can see two comments which I recently left on Val's White Elephant Gift story, and one comment for each of chapter 18 of Graeme's Leopards Leap and chapter 48 of Leopard Spots stories.

On my profile it looks like the first comment on Val's story had two normal likes and the second got six :lol: likes, but in actual fact the second comment got two LOL likes, not six.

For the comment on Graeme's Leopards Leap chapter he gave me a LOL like, but in my profile it looks like it has three of them. (same for chapter 5 in Leopard Skin Cover, btw)

For the comment on Graeme's Leopards Spots chapter he and mogwhy gave me a :heart:  like each, but on my profile it looks like the comment has four of the heart likes,

Two of the Graeme comments were my second comment on those chapters (yeah, I've been binge-reading the Lilydale Leopards :*)  over Christmas), but one of them (Leopard Skin Cover) was my first comment on chapter 5. 

I know it's not something really important, and I certainly never noticed this discrepancy before, but is there a technical explanation or is it a glitch ? No rush on the answer, enjoy your holidays. Happy New Year.

I'm on Google Chrome on a laptop.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

There is a lagtime and caching thing going on, most likely.  Not all of this stuff is live.  I'll make a note to check deeper into it when there is time available.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Myr said:

There is a lagtime and caching thing going on, most likely.  Not all of this stuff is live.  I'll make a note to check deeper into it when there is time available.

Absolutely no hurry, Myr.

I could understand the lag time explanation, if there were more likes on the comments than my activity list showed. But how can the count in my activity stream be 2 or 3 times the real number of likes ? I don't know if it helps, but it seems to be only those comments which have only one kind of likes, but not comments with mixed likes. However, I haven't chased down older comments to check. Also posts in the forums and blogs show the correct number of likes.

Is no one else seeing this phenomenon ? Maybe I should reboot my laptop and see what happens. :unsure: 

• Like 1
On 12/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, Timothy M. said:

I don't know if it helps, but it seems to be only those comments which have only one kind of likes, but not comments with mixed likes.

I've checked some more comments and the quote above is wrong. The double count also happens with chapter comments with mixed likes, but only for those which are not the thumbs up likes. So if a chapter comment gets 4 normal likes and one :heart:  like, the last one is counted twice when I look at my activity on my profile. :lol: likes seems to be counted three times.

Here are two examples:

My comment on chapter 13 of Twelve Gays got two :thumbup: likes and one :lol: like, 3 in total. In my activity list the comment seems to have 5 likes, because the LOL like is counted three times.

My comment on The Christmas Cracker got five :thumbup: likes and one :heart: like, 5 in total. In my activity list the comment seems to have 6 likes, because the heart like is counted twice.

Edited by Timothy M.
adding examples
  • Like 1

Can you screenshot an example?  I'm not seeing this on my side and it's definitely accurate in the reputation index.  It could be something only seen by the person so I'd like to make sure I can replicate it exactly to trace the code in question.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, A.J. said:

Can you screenshot an example?  I'm not seeing this on my side and it's definitely accurate in the reputation index.  It could be something only seen by the person so I'd like to make sure I can replicate it exactly to trace the code in question.

I can try, but I'm not very good at it.

image.png.00d2859d3beb8e18c7e415b4b3a80e16.png

This is what I see in my activity page on my profile: https://www.gayauthors.org/profile/18045-timothy-m/?do=content&page=4

image.png.26680cd6972add31dbfec6698c431e86.png

This is what the comment looks like in the chapter. https://www.gayauthors.org/story/graeme/leopardsleap/18#comment-305696

Here is an example with the :heart: like, after I just rebooted my laptop.

image.png.c26028e26414b097d92d6d1b587c21d8.png

image.png.cf9c658bfd408cc9ca7b77cc2602cf1e.png

Edited by Timothy M.
adding another example
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

Thank you for the information.  We'll contact folks in private if we need more.  The issue has been reported to the programmer, but we'll be unable to patch for awhile.  He is working on the new version of the software.

• Like 2