23 hours ago, knotme said:

5ab2e5468e1fc_Saumagentalking.jpg.151c5fd6adf3da47abfd5d8dcd06c213.jpg

Saugamen, or “Palatine Pork Paunch.” Wiki Commons. By Claus Ableiter - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

He might dig in if it's a choice between plain old 'ordinary' pig paunch and that stuff Chef O'Shay has gastro'd up for him ;)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Menudo is off my list, especially when made with patitas

yes.. off my list too .. mmm no

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A recent article in the Los Angeles Times sheds light on two of the many charges lodged by Mojo’s characters against our social and political fabric: truth seems harder to come by than ever, and wealth is concentrated as never before, in living memory.  “Major parties’ bases are more different than ever,” by David Lauter, addresses the first charge in its title. Within is a fascinating observation: Twenty years go, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to be college graduates; today, that’s reversed. 

Edited by knotme
Deleted the political part of the post
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

...omg... This braveless new world we're force to inhabit is too much.... I was just looking at the main page of Mojo where all the chapters are listed, and I swear to you - the ads "selected just for me" have two self-help gurus pitching their upcoming high-dollar seminars.... (And one ad's in Spanish!!!)

Freaks me out.... Lots of cliches running through my mind right now: "Satire and commerce running hoof in mouth"; "The jokes on them till the bill is issued"; "Everyone loves a clown but hates a mine" etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Believe it or not, this beautiful image has some bearing on Chapter 13 of Mojo. BTW, the chapter will be up shortly as I won't have time tomorrow to post it. 

f8fc9af5b665be6dae45ca7b6912efc7.jpg?ito  

Boi Mark in body paint for his Omo Masalai tribe's skeleton dance. He's from Papua New Guinea.

Photograph by Sandro.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

Believe it or not, this beautiful image has some bearing on Chapter 13 of Mojo. BTW, the chapter will be up shortly as I won't have time tomorrow to post it. 

Boi Mark in body paint for his Omo Masalai tribe's skeleton dance. He's from Papua New Guinea.

Photograph by Sandro.

That is amazingly wonderful....wow!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Photograph by Sandro.

At first I didn’t realize that was the spear-thing he’s holding that is crossing over the painted femur on his thigh…  ;-)

I brought this here so I didn’t crowd the story comments.  

3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Is La Joya a low-rent rip-off of San Diego’s snobby La Jolla neighborhood?  ;-)

Hollywood is the capital of pointless and disgusting fads and trends, food and otherwise. I think it’s because the LA district is filled with shallow people obsessed with appearance, many of whom are instantly nouveau riche and there aren’t any adults around to tell them no. And they’re all trying to outdo each other in an effort to seem to be important and newsworthy.  ;-)

Or La Joya is the country cousin trying hard to fit in and get noticed. 

I think its like that in NY too. I have no clue about the diversity in LA, but I think the proximity of the Boros like Brooklyn and Queens temper the pervasiveness of those trends a bit, and the borough itself is becoming the trend. 

That’s not to say you won’t find the latest activated charcoal or kombucha or ramen craze.. From my view in the suburbs, hipster/artsy, is the trend and around me(in pocket towns) are the overachievers who’re doing their darnedest to get a piece of the action. This is why I’m sure I’ll run into a Chef Cory sooner or later. 🙄

Also, you’d be surprised at how many  ‘mom groups’ lead the way. It’s a crazy thing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, droughtquake said:

Do Comment IOU’s accrue interest?  ;-)

no .. i just need to stay late and sweep up .. wash the dishes

• Haha 5

"The first to apologize is the bravest.

The first to forgive is the strongest.

The first to forget is the happiest."      

sandrewn

This has bearing on something Tre says to Ermanno, although sandrewn's comment is even more poetic than what Tre says, perhaps it's clearer to some in this form ;) Poetry can often reveal what prosey hearts argue they can't comprehend.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This probably the source for Tre-Princley's "Fab eggs" hehe 

I’m guessing that if you ever bought something from the Hamilton Collection, your mailbox would soon be filled with Special, Exciting, and Exclusive Offers from Hamilton and other ‘valued companies’ (ie they’d sell your name and address and you’d end up on all the rube and patsy lists and every con artist would be trying to swindle you)!  ;-)

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

I’m guessing that if you ever bought something from the Hamilton Collection, your mailbox would soon be filled with Special, Exciting, and Exclusive Offers from Hamilton and other ‘valued companies’ (ie they’d sell your name and address and you’d end up on all the rube and patsy lists and every con artist would be trying to swindle you)!  ;-)

...yeah. But then again, lots of people are lonely... 

• Haha 2
On 4/4/2018 at 5:59 PM, Defiance19 said:

I brought this here so I didn’t crowd the story comments.  

Or La Joya is the country cousin trying hard to fit in and get noticed. 

I think its like that in NY too. I have no clue about the diversity in LA, but I think the proximity of the Boros like Brooklyn and Queens temper the pervasiveness of those trends a bit, and the borough itself is becoming the trend. 

That’s not to say you won’t find the latest activated charcoal or kombucha or ramen craze.. From my view in the suburbs, hipster/artsy, is the trend and around me(in pocket towns) are the overachievers who’re doing their darnedest to get a piece of the action. This is why I’m sure I’ll run into a Chef Cory sooner or later. 🙄

Also, you’d be surprised at how many  ‘mom groups’ lead the way. It’s a crazy thing. 

very country...apparently it's part of a community halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno ("so you know it's authentic!" hehe). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On April 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM, AC Benus said:

"The first to apologize is the bravest.

The first to forgive is the strongest.

The first to forget is the happiest."      

sandrewn

“Good form, pithy, but where’s the stretched meaning, the new or expanded metaphor, the novel use of symbols?”  complains my college English prof. “Too straightforward,” I mutter under my breath. Certainly this poem is far clearer than Tre sober. Tre drunk is both deeper in content and more dismissive (or ignorant—who knows?) of landmarks of shared meaning by which we make each other understood. Is Tre agreeing with this poem as he gently scolds Ermanno in GA Ch 14? The poet Kohl may think he sees it, but I still don’t. 

I would have written off Tre as a nut, but the last three years have upended my sense of intelligence, comment sense, and the role of truth—especially a certain brilliant pediatric brain surgeon who thinks that the Pyramids were built to store grain. Forced to concede that brain surgeons don’t need common sense, I insisted that most people, for example engineers (such as myself) must have common sense. That hope too crumbled: truth, and the common sense that underpins its value, are luxuries to be treasured, like our vanishing wilderness.

Edited by knotme
words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On April 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM, AC Benus said:

My browser blocks the photo or movie or whatever, the link itself is funny: https:…UPSELL=Y[ES] :P:huh:

Edited by knotme
spelling
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, knotme said:

That’s more than I get per month in Disability. I like eating and being housed. I don’t have money to waste on pointless toys like that.