Web Browsers

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Recently, I've been using Google Chrome to browse the Internet, mainly so I can use the program All in One Messenger. While surfing GA I've noticed there is a distinct difference between Chrome and Firefox. From the way, fonts look, to even some notification functionality. I know this is pretty much out of GA's control on how browsers interact with the site.

So with that said, what is the GA's staff recommendation of a Web Browser for GA

Is there one we should use over the other, especially as an Author, when posting Stories and Forum Topics to the site?

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

I use FireFox more than Chrome on the site.. but I do use both and haven't really noticed on real difference.  It is very common to have both open at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

I should add that I know Cia uses Edge a lot so she can get her reward points for her gift cards for her eBook addiction. ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I do see a slight difference with Chrome and Firefox.  I have the latest updates on both, and Firefox is slightly faster than Chrome, and both are faster than Edge.  But since I upgraded my internet service to 200 megabytes per second download speed there is little difference.

I usually use Chrome because almost of my bookmarks are on Chrome. Until Firefox upgraded their security over the last six months, Chrome was better.  I tried Safari and did not have good luck with it at all, so deleted it.

I also use the Private Browsing/InPrivate modes when surfing, and I get less malware that way, even with my Internet security programming.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Myr said:

I should add that I know Cia uses Edge a lot so she can get her reward points for her gift cards for her eBook addiction. ;)

Yes, yes I do. Edge does have a few different quirks with GA and social media, like Facebook, though, so when I don't use that I mostly use Chrome. I'm not fond of Firefox, it just feels very non-intuitive for me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In the past I used either Firefox or Chrome and sometimes was running both, but over the past few months I've only used chrome.  When I used both I noticed when I opened task manager that each browser started to gobble RAM.  So I started monitoring when using just one or the other and I found that Chrome was using less memory.  There are some slight display differences and I think that Firefox is better on mobiles than Chrome from that perspective.  However, since i prefer to visit the site on my desktop, chrome it is.  My desktop is over ten years old and uses an AMD phenom chip with four cores. It upgraded to Windows 10 pro 32 bit which I've been running since Win 10 came out.  My internet is fairly fast and on Speedtest just now showed 76 Mbps on this desktop with five other devices connected including tablets and smart phones.  Accordingly, I don't have any problems with speed of pages loading or even with uploading info to the site.  Actually, this site works very well compared to many sites on the net in my twenty-five plus year experience on the internet.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Chrome for me is faster, more organized, and keeps a better handle on self-updating than any of the other browsers out there. So I use Chrome.  Chrome also has a ton of free tools that are useful and handy to get to. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1