On likes, comments and reviews

I try to not only Like, but also Comment on almost all the stories I read on GA. I try to email authors I read on other sites when either a chapter really moves me or when I finish reading the whole story. There are a few stories I've read where the author really does not want to hear what I think of the story!  ;-)

There have even been a few stories where I enjoy the author, but object to the direction of the story arc. Even in those cases I try to leave some sort of feedback. When it’s clear that the characters aren’t paying attention to my advice, I comment on other things including other people’s comments! I try to make sure the author knows I appreciate her (or his) skills even if I don’t like the character’s choices (I still don’t trust Alek).  ;-)

And I think I’ve been very consistent in Liking and Commenting on all the stories I’ve read by @Ronyx, @Timothy M., @Wesley8890, and @Caz Pedroso (and thank you to the authors who I see listed so far on this page).  ;-)

This is the only way I can afford to ‘pay’ for the stories I’ve read!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

In my quest to write something interesting in my Comments, I have been asked by one author to limit my tangental conversations with other Commenters. That made me feel less inclined to Comment in the future. Sometimes the tangents are the things that make continuing to Comment fun!  ;-)

The tone of the story and especially the specific chapter affect the mood of the Comments. But occasionally, the mood needs to be broken before it becomes too overwhelming. And I sometimes relate my own experiences to the actions in the chapter. It’s always related to what the chapter stirred up for me.

9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

In my quest to write something interesting in my Comments, I have been asked by one author to limit my tangental conversations with other Commenters. That made me feel less inclined to Comment in the future. Sometimes the tangents are the things that make continuing to Comment fun!  ;-)

this would make me much less inclined to comment also @droughtquake the comments section is written by fans, it's a kind of fan club.  talking with other people who have enjoyed the story should be a part of the whole experience

11 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

The tone of the story and especially the specific chapter affect the mood of the Comments. But occasionally, the mood needs to be broken before it becomes too overwhelming. And I sometimes relate my own experiences to the actions in the chapter. It’s always related to what the chapter stirred up for me.

i think that when you relate your own experiences to that characters, the actions in the chapter it would validate that what was written as fiction, in fact, has a basis in reality.  it's also one of the ways to make your comment more meaningful to the author, wouldn't you think? that what he, or she, or they, have written has reminded you of this time when......

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I think your experiences as writers is a lot like my experience as Sales Clerk/Sales Associate/Team Member in retail. Most customers do not seem to recognize that an actual person with feelings is helping them. There are customers who do not engage verbally when asked questions, although in some cases there could be a language barrier. (When I worked in a department store jewelry department, customers would sometimes get angry when we told them we didn’t have larger diamonds in stock. I used to wonder to my coworkers if they expected us to go down to the basement to mine one for them?)  ;-)

37 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

i like your comments. i always wish i could write comments as well as you do. i try to write something more than just i enjoyed that. so i end up with i enjoyed that because...although i did tell one author i wanted to strangle him, but i did tell him why :P

he just laughed :gikkle:

Edited by mogwhy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

You get more than just a thanks from me. You know I enjoy your stories. You have given me two very special stories. One with an HIV+ character. You also gave me a blind character. Both are me, it’s nice to have stories that really represent you.

@BlindAmbitionYou know I love you, don't you?  :P

Edited by Ronyx
  • Like 2
  • Love 2