8 hours ago, northie said:

I don't like writing apologies either. 

Just stick an “if” into the apology! It makes it look like you’re making a sincere apology, but negates the whole point of apologizing! It’s a tactic perfected by clueless athletes and entertainers in the US. I apologize if anyone doesn’t understand that this is me being sarcastic…  ;-)

@Ivor Slipper made an interesting comment on the new chapter, saying that Andy underwent an 'overnight conversion'. I don't see it quite like that - he's enthusiastic, imbued with the volunteering spirit, but lacks focus. The talking to gave him that focus. Andy's certainly capable of self-reflection. What do you think?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think Andy was oblivious, but mainly because his life is so different he never considered what Eric might have gone through or is dealing with. Young people don’t learn LGBTQ history, so they don’t realize how recently won all of our rights have been. It was only 50 years ago that Gay sex was decriminalized in the UK – and even then there was a higher age of consent for much of that time! People still living today helped to force through those changes!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

For me Andy displayed a total lack of understanding for Eric's situation on his original visit. This could be attributed to his youth. However, in many ways I would lay the blame at the door of  'Helping Hand' for either not giving him good enough training or for not sending a more experienced volunteer with him on his first visit. The latter would have avoided most of the problems that arose - but would have ruined the story :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
51 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

It was only 50 years ago that Gay sex was decriminalized in the UK

Yes, indeed. It's hardly a spoiler to say that this subject comes up later. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ivor Slipper said:

The latter would have avoided most of the problems that arose - but would have ruined the story

I imagine it as a small charity that's suddenly had its application to the National Lottery accepted. The resulting  uplift in activity has caught them a little unawares. But as you say, if everything went swimmingly with their first meeting, I'd be letting go a large tranche of dramatic tension.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

When I first contemplated posting Eric's story, I seriously thought the only people reading it would be me, my editor ( @Parker Owens ) and perhaps the occasional stray reader. The response it has had so far has taken my breath away. The number of readers, those taking the time to comment, and comments that show how much people are investing in the story and it's characters. Eric is very dear to me, bloody mindedness and all, and I'm glad that his tale has resonated with so many.  :yes:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For me, it's the juxtaposition of the two men that gives the story such an interesting dynamic. I guess Eric is a bit old to be "saved", but he can still enjoy getting to know someone of his own flock and perhaps feel accepted for who he is. Though it's not easy. Especially when it's such an odd couple.The struggle to bridge that void strike a chord in me and makes me want to comment.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Especially when it's such an odd couple

That was one of the main reasons why I thought it wouldn't get a readership. It's hardly a standard pairing ... But it seems that is one of the attractions. What do I know?  :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, northie said:

That was one of the main reasons why I thought it wouldn't get a readership. It's hardly a standard pairing ... But it seems that is one of the attractions. What do I know?  :P

Some of us are looking for stories that break the mold! I read to experience things I can’t experience in my own life. But all those fantasies where the protagonist becomes suddenly incredibly wealthy are usually repetitive and boring. Stories about exotic locations are often filled with stereotypes and inaccuracies. Instant love is unrealistic and trite. Stories about sexual athletes with wildly disproportionate endowments are boring because those are not my fantasies being described! Many authors who post here seem incapable of finding something new and different to write about. Many of us can identify with both Eric and Adam!  ;-)

11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Some of us are looking for stories that break the mold!

Thank you! It's certainly not 'writing to the market' as Myr would describe it. I don't ever see myself doing that, or at least, not deliberately.  ;) Other authors do, and that's their decision. It's a good way of getting many likes and followers, and it gets read by a large number of people. Just not me.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I think all of us can relate to the feeling of lost opportunities and the fear of getting old and lonely and losing your dignity. Young people don't worry about this, but there are enough mature guys (and ladies) on GA to get this story a small but ardent fan group. And I agree with all that @droughtquake said.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, northie said:

It's certainly not 'writing to the market' as Myr would describe it.

Hollywood does that! That’s why the market is saturated by Superhero movies and other explosive CGI-fests – and very low-brow bro-humor. That’s why not-funny US TV sitcoms cater to the lowest common denominator.

That’s why GA has a glut of zombie, were-creatures, and vampire stories. That’s why GA wallows in teenage angst. That’s why GA stories seem to average several sex scenes per chapter!

But in reaction to the lowest common denominator, there are also Indie movie producers. In opposition to over-the-air US Broadcast networks, there is over-the-air non-commercial PBS. There is room for, and a demand for, more refined fiction on GA.  ;-)

1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

I think all of us can relate to the feeling of lost opportunities

Yes, personally, and in seeing it in people around us. I work in a public building and the number of people who talk to us not because they need something but more for the human contact ... Down on their luck, alone, elderly. It's not a happy prospect, and one I'm keen to avoid. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@droughtquake  As far as GA goes, I suppose it's each to their own. We're lucky that the site is basically free and anyone who fulfills the basic standards can post their stories. The more popular 'pulp' fiction might not be to our tastes some of the time, but it's what brings in the footfall. And that footfall brings income from Google's ads. Could you say they were subsidising stories like mine?  ;)  That might be pushing it.  :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, northie said:

@droughtquake  As far as GA goes, I suppose it's each to their own. We're lucky that the site is basically free and anyone who fulfills the basic standards can post their stories. The more popular 'pulp' fiction might not be to our tastes some of the time, but it's what brings in the footfall. And that footfall brings income from Google's ads. Could you say they were subsidising stories like mine?  ;)  That might be pushing it.  :P

Let's just say they're giving you a 'Helping Hand' :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the flip side, the mainstream media occasionally produces prestigious, award-winning content as if to prove that it’s capable of more than mere schlock. Similarly, car manufacturers produce ‘halo cars’, typically sports cars, that elevate the perceived prestige of their more mundane vehicles. You could think of yourself as a halo writer!  ;-)

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

That’s why GA wallows in teenage angst. That’s why GA stories seem to average several sex scenes per chapter!

Sorry for bringing the average down. I've had complaints my stories don't include enough real sex scenes. :P

I don't do angst either! All my men are good-looking and all my teens are above average...

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Sorry for bringing the average down. I've had complaints my stories don't include enough real sex scenes. :P

I don't do angst either! All my men are good-looking and all my teens are above average...

Trust me. I don't read stories on GA for the sex. The characters in the stories I read become people to me. I don't want to feel like I'm peeking into friends' bedroom windows.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1