A quick question...

I posted  a music video on the Shack about a month or two go, and it was highly controversial. It spoke about race relations here in the US and was 'brutally' honest in its delivery. Probably in a way that it has never been done before. Expressing the uncensored views from two extreme sides. And I was curious if we could have an open and honest discussion about it without things getting out of hand. It's a sensitive subject, and I understand that. But does that mean we can't be ladies and gentlemen, and speak our minds without flying off the handle?

Should I post it here? Or would you guys feel that it's inappropriate? I just wanted to get a feel of things ahead of time, because I don't want to cause a ruckus. For all I know...this might just be an American thing...

• Like 1

Racism is always an ugly topic as it’s fostered by ugly people with ugly virtues. I generally avoid discussing it unless I happen to cross paths with someone who doesn’t hide the fact that because of their race, sexual orientation, social status, underwear size... that they are somehow superior to another. It drives me nuts but there are times that this person has been taught these beliefs and has never questioned their teaching. I usually respond to comments that insinuate that “so and so” is someone to look down upon, with confusion. “Oh really? Why?” You would be surprised how many people don’t have an answer to such a simple question. It does leave the floor wide open to start the discussion why I don’t feel the same and once in a great while, you can see them question themselves. Not often enough but, I’ll take my wins wherever and whenever I can.

I don’t see why a discussion can’t happen but, keep an eye out. Feelings can be unintentionally be hurt and misunderstandings happen too easily when text fails to relay the underlying intent and emotion of some comments, which happens all too often.

*HUGZ*

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JeffsFort said:

Racism is always an ugly topic as it’s fostered by ugly people with ugly virtues. I generally avoid discussing it unless I happen to cross paths with someone who doesn’t hide the fact that because of their race, sexual orientation, social status, underwear size... that they are somehow superior to another. It drives me nuts but there are times that this person has been taught these beliefs and has never questioned their teaching. I usually respond to comments that insinuate that “so and so” is someone to look down upon, with confusion. “Oh really? Why?” You would be surprised how many people don’t have an answer to such a simple question. It does leave the floor wide open to start the discussion why I don’t feel the same and once in a great while, you can see them question themselves. Not often enough but, I’ll take my wins wherever and whenever I can.

I don’t see why a discussion can’t happen but, keep an eye out. Feelings can be unintentionally be hurt and misunderstandings happen too easily when text fails to relay the underlying intent and emotion of some comments, which happens all too often.

*HUGZ*

You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.  I have offended people by accident when we have differing life experiences, and therefore use words differently.  

The "Oh? Why?" question is one I have used myself.  Another technique, used by a sociology professor where I went to college, is to just stare at people with a blank look as if inviting them to explain themselves.  That only works when the person spewing stuff has at least a small amount of sense.

I grew up in an area where there were only whites and Native Americans and one Asian. The Asian boy was badly treated by some, even though he was a great guy.  My parents never talked badly of other races, and I am glad of that.  I was able to become friends later with some persons of other races and cultures at a later date.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Ok. I'm going to post it here, but I do want to repeat that it is a powerful song that some might find offensive if they don't listen all the way to the end. This madness has a method. And I'm personally disturbed that this is what the US looks like right now. I won't get into politics, but this should never be tolerated on any level. And the people who tolerate it have never ONCE been on the other side of it. We, as human beings, can't wait for something detestable to come knocking at our own door before we do something about it. You know?

Anyway, here is the video. The artist is Joyner Lucas, and the song is "I'm Not Racist". It's told from both sides of a constant friction between races here in American, and it's so ridiculous that we're just sick of it. It's so stupid. But the message in this video needs to be heard. It's the conversation people need to be having. It's 2018...can we finally grow up?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Comicality said:

Also, another song that was met with controversy, about being gay by Macklemore...which I thought was brilliant.

The problem came from things said and done in the past. He was capitalizing on that song. Many people felt he wasn’t  the right messenger.

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 1

It's not always about the messenger. The message is what counts. I, honestly, didn't even know Macklemore before this song. So anything questionable about him wasn't a factor at the time. Hehehe, as it should be. :P

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..