How do you conquer your fear?

I am on Disability for Depression and Anxiety. When I panic, I shut down – unlike fight or flight, for me it’s freeze! I was on medication for the depression, but discovered that I do better without them. Therapy has helped a lot.  ;-)

@Wesley8890, my fear of heights doesn’t extend to flying. I think it’s because I took my first plane rides when I was only a few months old. But the observation deck of Chicago’s John Hancock building was terrifying! I stayed against the inside wall and could not even approach the windows!

@NoShame, fortunately I do not suffer from panic attacks. My best friend does, things have progressively gotten worse for him and I haven’t seen him in over a decade (I’ve emailed and called him and gotten a few responses, most recently last month). I dated a guy who did – I felt very helpless when he was in the middle of an attack and I couldn’t do anything.

Several therapists have tried to get me to ‘imagine stepping through a door’ or other similar things. My brain rejects those sorts of tricks. One told me to imagine my evil self in a chair next to me and the only thing I could do was joke that he must have facial hair because that’s always the difference in Star Trek’s parallel universe!  ;-)

But there have been times when I have told my therapists that my brain feels like three gears locked against each other, unable to rotate! And that my issues feel kind of like the boulder in Raiders of the Lost Arc, rolling along – therapy has smoothed off some of the more jagged peaks so the boulder rolls better. I can’t identify just what has changed, but I know I’m better able to cope with my problems than before.  ;-)

Everyone has differing fears and anxieties.  I have a fear of dentists and a fear of small culverts. (I nearly drowned in one at age 4.)  I have a fear of driving on icy roads after having an accident years ago where I totaled my car by sliding into a culvert and then a wrecker hit my car.

1 hour ago, mogwhy said:

For me, it's not so much "conquering" my fear, but a matter of controlling it. i try not to be in a position to encounter my fears...

I agree.  I only drive on icy roads in an emergency, and avoid small culverts when I can.  I prepare as best I can (but still am very nervous at dentists).  Sometimes we have to look for ways to go around or face our fears.  It does not always get easier.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Everyone has differing fears and anxieties.  I have a fear of dentists and a fear of small culverts. (I nearly drowned in one at age 4.)  I have a fear of driving on icy roads after having an accident years ago where I totaled my car by sliding into a culvert and then a wrecker hit my car.

I agree.  I only drive on icy roads in an emergency, and avoid small culverts when I can.  I prepare as best I can (but still am very nervous at dentists).  Sometimes we have to look for ways to go around or face our fears.  It does not always get easier.

Thanks for your input. My fears are of failure, rejection, heights, snakes, spiders, bugs. The most severe has happened since going blind. Not seeing surroundings in big crowds.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

I have learned to face my fears when needed. but I don't like it, especially dentists!  That is worse than the rest put together, because they have sharp instruments they put in your mouth!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, mogwhy said:

if someone tries to restrain me (especially if they surprise me) i will strike out and hit them.

:yes: Same here.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1