Romance stories set in your hometown or city.

I've never read one set in Tampa, that was a love story, but there is a Horror/Paranormal one called The Vampire's Apprentice that was set in Tampa. It was good, had locations I knew in it, and took a lot of liberties with locations. But then again, I'm doing that in a story I'm writing. It was not off-putting at all but made me feel a little prideful that my Hometown was featured in a book.

On GA, I am writing an ongoing, romance set in Tampa called Finding Eros in Florida. It's a work in progress.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

You should be good if you are using someone from the area as a beta reader. 

He's read the parts I've done with D.C., and so far only had to change a couple of things.

• Like 4

I just find it easier to write about places that are similar to where I live as I am seeing the places with my own eyes. It doesn't bother me, but since most of my stories are in a small town/rural setting stories that don't portray that well... I am critical of those moreso than stories I read based in large cities. New York might as well be a foriegn nation to me since it has been ages since I've been there. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I guess the only GA romances set in my home towns in Denmark will be the ones I write myself. :lol:  If anyone uses a place I'm familiar with, it would be fun but I'd probably be critical of any mistakes. :*)  Especially spelling mistakes :rofl: 

Thankfully, so far no one from London has called me out on any mistakes in the story I have set there.

The author on GA who does the most meticulous research on locations, as far as I know, is @AC Benus. His story topics are usually filled with awesome pictures of places. 

Since all the stories here are posted in various forms of English, I’d be more concerned with how they mangle Danish! And that they didn’t mix in things that are Swedish, Norwegian, German, or Dutch! Maybe even Austrian (eg the pastry Austrian bakers created)!  ;-)

I’ve read stories set in Hawaii, a state I lived in as a child. One author was convinced that everyone sprinkles in Hawaiian words, one per sentence – because that’s what they do on Hawaii 5-0! As if Hawaii were a foreign country instead of a US state of nearly 60 years and a US territory for another 60 years before that! The Hawaiian language was suppressed for much of that time. The 2015 estimated population of Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders is just under 10%. Politically and economically, the state is dominated by whites and Asians.

Edited by Former Member
23 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Since all the stories here are posted in various forms of English, I’d be more concerned with how they mangle Danish! And that they didn’t mix in things that are Swedish, Norwegian, German, or Dutch! Maybe even Austrian (eg the pastry Austrian bakers created)!  ;-)

Absolutely :yes:  https://satwcomic.com/wrong-identity  :rofl: 

sorry about the slightly  :off:  SATW comic, but I couldn't resist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Absolutely :yes:  https://satwcomic.com/wrong-identity  :rofl: 

sorry about the slightly  :off:  SATW comic, but I couldn't resist.

How do you think I know about the Danish?  ;-)

Armistead Maupin wrote the Tales of the City series, mostly set in San Francisco. The first few books were originally serialized in the newspaper. When we first moved back to the Bay Area in 1978, I started reading the serial and was shocked and pleased to discover locations and events that were mentioned on the news! The stories, while heavily fictionalized, helped me understand the culture and geography of the Bay Area.  ;-)

If you read the books or watch the three TV miniseries, you should be aware that the earliest books are more fantastical and madcap than the later books because Armistead thought he needed to have a hook at the end of each newspaper entry. Eventually he realized that his readers would continue to read the series even without the silly tricks. Since he was writing each column just before it was published, the story incorporated real-life events pretty much as they happened. It also meant that when he wasn’t feeling well, there were no new columns in the paper and there were no predictions as to when the story would resume!  ;-)

11 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

This is actually one of my concerns with my story set in Washington D.C. I've been using Google Earth, Google, and a friend that lives in D.C. to get information for the story, and I'm hoping it's not falling flat when I talk about places.

I'm willing to help you out. I've lived in DC, visited multiple times (will be there in April again) and my long-running series uses Washington as the characters' home base. A couple of readers have told me they've used my story as a guide when visiting the city.

• Like 4

I'm big on using real settings. But unless I create a location, I want it all to be as accurate as possible. I just took a day trip somewhere last week so I could better describe a placeI'd not visited in over 10 years. I'm doing the same next month and then again the following one.

Miami has been featured in many a book. Not so much romance stories as crime and mystery ones. Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, and Edna Buchanan may be the best-known ones. I love to read about the place I grew up in but as with most others commenting, I hate it when authors mess things up and it's clear they were not creating their own spaces.

I've had a few Australian readers praise my descriptions of places my characters visit in Oz, but I've also been told my use of Oztrayan isn't always the best. :)

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1