Romance stories set in your hometown or city.

17 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

One author not on this site invented a fictional city, then put it in a fictional location.  Oops!  There was a town of that name right where the city was supposed to be.

That is very funny. Imagine the odds of this happening and they just might be right up there with winning the lottery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator
37 minutes ago, Ron said:

I gather that familiarity with a location isn't a problem, as it is to Ms. Goldstein. On the other hand woe and destruction will fall upon any writer who dares get the facts wrong. Is that about right?

Pretty much.  :gikkle: 

• Haha 3

I once read a book that had a section of it set in Philadelphia. The first mistake they made was saying that numbered streets run east/west. Wrong, they run north/south in most of the city. Named streets run east/west. Secondly, it described the first neighborhood I ever lived in here as an ethnic-white, working class neighborhood run by the Mafia. While that neighborhood certainly used to be a Little Italy where the Mob controlled everything, that hasn't been true since the 80s, and the book was set in 2011. It's now a very desirable, diverse neighborhood where you can find people from just about every corner of the globe. Also, the Mafia hasn't controlled much of anything in Philadelphia since it murdered itself into oblivion decades ago.

I was so annoyed at the lack of even basic research that I stopped reading after that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

:blushing:  Thank you, AC :hug:  I do get readers asking me if I'm working for the Danish Tourist Board. :lmao:  And some have wanted to visit Denmark after reading, a compliment I'm very proud of. :yes: 

I get asked if I work for the California Tourist Board!  ;-)

52 minutes ago, DynoReads said:

I read a story set in western Pennsylvania, a fictional suburb of Pittsburgh. That wasn’t so bad, but the writer had the characters visiting an amusement park I was very familiar with, went every year as a school trip, Conneaut Lake Park. She had the park on the wrong lake and road, the time to drive from Pittsburgh was impossible unless you did 90mph. Worse she move an historic roller coaster from Waldemeer (might have that spelled wrong) to Conneaut Lake. Also the characters were visiting the park during the years it was closed due to bankruptcy. I contacted the author who said she had done 8nternet research, and provided me the sites. Unfortunately she hadn’t done much more than read the google description, which is how she moved rides. I gave up on the story, too annoying.

I don’t understand this. If you’re going to be a lazy writer, Why bother?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I don’t understand this. If you’re going to be a lazy writer, Why bother?

But even best-selling authors like James Clavell do it! His characters in Shogun acted very uncharacteristically for the era and, more importantly, the culture. It was entertaining, but not historically accurate,

I know and have known many Mexican-Americans, seen many Mexican movies, and live in an area that used to be Mexican territory. I even lived less than 20 miles from Mexico! But I cannot claim to understand Mexican culture. If I were a writer, anything I wrote would probably be more of a caricature than anything realistic. And I think culture is at least as important as geography.

• 2 weeks later...

I write about places I know, Speechless, my short story is set in a real part of London. But I also write about places I have never visited and only know from what I've read, Google maps (street view is pretty good!), pictures found online. Sometimes I have taken a place I know and moved it to another continent. I have also mentioned places just by name, that are real, but the rest of the description, such as it is, is fabricated.

We are talking fiction, it's amusing to read a story, part of which, or the whole, maybe set in a place you are familiar with, but I don't think I would pull an author up for getting a detail wrong or changing things about the place. I'm not writing a travel guide! Research, yes, but inspiration, and atmosphere, story and plot, the background setting is just that, background.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Myself, the story I'm going to start is going to be based in Connecticut, but it will be a fictional area. A few local places (Hartford, Old Sturbridge Village, The Ledges (in Vermont, a nude beach), Valley Railroad, Boston (and the sports teams), New York (and ditto on the sports team) and a few other real life places.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I generally write about places I've been, lived, etc. unless I go the high fantasy route. It's either 0 or 100 for me.

If I'm writing contemporary, I want you to be able to walk by a place and think, "yeah, someone like Chase's characters might have met or started a life here. Maybe I could, too."

• Like 1
  • Love 1