Readers, how much time are you willing to invest into a paranormal story before it becomes too unbelievable?

17 minutes ago, Aceinthehole said:

Unfortunately you already know how stained with reality my writing is :*)

they are still great stories. and i finished them all. even reviewed a few :2thumbs: you also know i'm honestly will tell you how i feel about it, too

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AC Benus said:

I like this question as a writer, and I like seeing what people are saying in response. I've had an interest in this genre since I was an early teen and just cutting my teeth, finding stories "I liked." It's a hard world to make real. Masters like King doing it easy, literally. They take the world the reader is used to and begin to introduce discordance gradually. Most of us are familiar with The Shining, so we can see if the book opened with Jack already out his mind, the family would never have gotten to The Overlook. 

I tried to do it myself with Bound & Bound. The central character is thrust into an unpleasant but relatable scenario (the sudden death of his father), but then things get mysterious and he's slowly drawn into believing the impossible. That process of introducing the paranormal reality for Emeric is mirrored by the reader becoming initiated along side of him. In this book, I think it works and prepares the readers for one hell of an experience. 

Thanks for posting this excellent thread! 

Bound & Bound is wonderful .. Emeric has no choice but to believe eventually. Such a great story. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Paranormal doesn’t work for me as the main dish. It can be an ingredient, or it can be the sauce or the drink or the appetizer. Probably not desert.  

Edited by knotme
grammar
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, Graeme said:

Those examples feel too much like the author has run out of ideas but can't think of a way to bring the story to a conclusion and wants something new to breathe life into the story.

Yes. Artificial plot extenders of any stripe are bad news. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My problem is way too many writers think they’re good enough to write a believable story. I need to have a large percentage of realism for any sort of paranormal to work. And it all depends on what exactly you are describing as paranormal.  ;-)

I’m not a big fan of Stephen King-type paranormal. I used to read mostly Science Fiction/Fantasy where there are lots of paranormal aspects included. JRR Tolkien’s wizards, elves, and Sauron are all paranormal in some way. JK Rowlings’s wizards are also paranormal. Most Superheroes are paranormal. Religion is paranormal.  ;-)

You know I’ll tell you what I think of your stories!  ;-)

What sort of paranormal are you actually intending to write about?  ;-)

30 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I don't want to say too too much because I don't want to ruin any surprises but it'll definitely be founded in realism, and you're onto something when you said "Religion is paranormal" 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

My problem is way too many writers think they’re good enough to write a believable story. I need to have a large percentage of realism for any sort of paranormal to work. And it all depends on what exactly you are describing as paranormal.  ;-)

I’m not a big fan of Stephen King-type paranormal. I used to read mostly Science Fiction/Fantasy where there are lots of paranormal aspects included. JRR Tolkien’s wizards, elves, and Sauron are all paranormal in some way. JK Rowlings’s wizards are also paranormal. Most Superheroes are paranormal. Religion is paranormal.  ;-)

You know I’ll tell you what I think of your stories!  ;-)

King does actually quite well with blending paranormal with real life.  A lot of his short stories involve normal people dealing with abnormal situations.  That one of the things I love most about his writing.

Edited by CassieQ
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

King does actually quite well with paranormal.  A lot of his short stories involve normal people dealing with abnormal situations.  That one of the things I love most about his writing.

When I worked in a bookstore, Stephen King’s books sold very well.  We’d refer those who asked about similar authors to Clive Barker. They’re both fine authors, just not my taste.  ;-)

2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

When I worked in a bookstore, Stephen King’s books sold very well.  We’d refer those who asked about similar authors to Clive Barker. They’re both fine authors, just not my taste.  ;-)

I used to work in a  bookstore as well.  I got so sick of looking at The Da Vinci Code on the bestseller racks for months and months and months. :P  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
17 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I love King. That’s not to say that I’ve liked everything. I respect after all these years, he still respects the craft.

You have authors like Dan Brown and many others that just sell out. If you’re pushing a book every 18 months, most plots not  thought out well.

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1