• 2 weeks later...

A couple of chapter 3 Sneak Peeks:

Adam and Tibot's Call

“Call Me.”

Those two simple words sent a chill down Adam’s spine. He sat back, in the leather desk chair, and stared at the computer screen. He glanced over at the empty bottle of whiskey, and back at the open email on his laptop.

“I’m not drunk enough to call him yet,” Adam said to no one. He stood up, and walked across the house, and tossed the empty bottle in the recycle bin. The sound of the glass bottles, as they clanked on each other, was deafening in the still silent air of the pantry. He walked over to the wine closet and took out a bottle of wine. He popped the cork, letting it breathe while he grabbed a wine glass, and headed back to the library.

“Call Me”

Adam’s eyes caught the phrase, as he sat back down. He stuck the Bluetooth receiver in his ear, synced it with his phone, and then dialed the number he hadn’t used for over fifteen years. He poured himself a glass of wine while the phone rang, and took a sip.

“Hello,” Tibot answered the phone; his voice was warm, but neutral in tone.

“You wanted me to call you, Tibot,” Adam said. He sipped the wine, and adjusted the chair, to where he could lean back in it.

Robert Waking Up

Robert awoke from a nightmare. His heart raced, and he panted trying to catch his breath. As he calmed down, he sat up in bed against his headboard and drew his knees in. Tears started to slide down his cheeks, as the last visions of the terrible dream left him. ‘What the hell was that?’ He thought. ‘Why is this happening to me? I’m scared, but I know I shouldn’t be. Why am I feeling like I’m betraying mom? If anything, she betrayed me. She’s the one that lied about my father. She’s the one that kept me from him. I wish… this didn’t have to happen.’

He checked the time on his phone and saw that is was almost 7:30 am. Instead of going back to sleep, Rob decided to stay up. He walked into his bathroom and started the shower to get the water warm. Rob stripped out of his boxers, tossing them into a laundry hamper, and looked at himself in the mirror. The bruises from his time in foster care had turned a lighter shade of black and blue. ‘I should tell Adam the truth about what happened.’ He ran his hand over the stubble of a beard on his face. It was a patchy affair and grew slowly, but he felt that he would need to shave it off soon.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator

Gee, it’s not a chapter ending, but you’ve managed a cliffie “ending” nonetheless, A. Now I really want to know what’s up with this estrangement between the brothers. Does it extend to the parents as well? Hmm...

As for Rob, I think you’re portraying his situation very realistically. Sure, he loved - and still does love - his mom, but he’s been confronted with something bad she did that affected him directly. How can he even begin to comprehend her duplicity? Good thing he’s going to get professional help dealing with his mixed up feelings. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Now I really want to know what’s up with this estrangement between the brothers. Does it extend to the parents as well? Hmm...

Don't read, if you don't want a spoiler:

Spoiler

No. Tobit, Samantha, and Derrick still talk on the phone and have seen each other in person. The Incident that happened 15 years ago, did splinter the overall extended family.

48 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

As for Rob, I think you’re portraying his situation very realistically. Sure, he loved - and still does love - his mom, but he’s been confronted with something bad she did that affected him directly. How can he even begin to comprehend her duplicity? Good thing he’s going to get professional help dealing with his mixed up feelings.

Thanks, Reader. When it comes to the therapy session, I think I might jump over the actual session, and with a little "Power of Plot" it goes well. I'm not sure I can do it justice.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Don't read, if you don't want a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

No. Tobit, Samantha, and Derrick still talk on the phone and have seen each other in person. The Incident that happened 15 years ago, did splinter the overall extended family.

Thanks, Reader. When it comes to the therapy session, I think I might jump over the actual session, and with a little "Power of Plot" it goes well. I'm not sure I can do it justice.

Read the spoiler and this is my response: 

Spoiler

I’m not too impressed with the parents. Fifteen years is a long time for your kids not talking to each other. They should have stepped in with some tough love and got the situation sorted a long time ago. I mean, how do you handle family get togethers - ie holidays - if your kids aren’t on speaking terms? That said, now I need to know what’s keeping the brothers apart

As for the therapy session? Having Adam and Rob talk about it after the fact is a good way to do it, so you can cut to the chase regarding what was discussed during the session. Lessens the “wording” of it too, because your dealing with highlights, right? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Chapter 3 has been posted. The sneak peeks from earlier, was in the chapter, but was edited.

On the subject of names. Adam's brother's name is Tibot. The Baby Name list I download, had it spelled Tibot, with the explanation of, "Biblical Name, and also a name of a book in some Bibles. Tibot was the Father of Tobias." With Adam's parents being religious (haven't shown that yet), they named their first born son Adam and their second one Tibot as it was an unusual name. It also led to the nickname of Tibs for him as well (also not seen yet).

During the writing process, I had switched it up some, and for half the chapter was calling him Tobit. Tobit is the actual name in the Bible.

• Like 1

Chapter 4 sneak peek. Raw, and not edited, so not final:

I wonder why dad wants me to go to the business meeting with him. Also, we didn’t talk about school yesterday like he said we would.’  Rob let out a long sigh. “Um, dad… the other night, you and grandpa, talked about school… when do I have to go back, and which one?”

Adam cleared his throat and sipped his coffee, giving him some time to think. ‘Gonna have to give him the options.’ “Hmm, that is a good question. Let me ask you one. Was there any sports you were active in?”

“I did some Lacrosse and Hockey for my school in Boston. I could do without either if they are not played here.”

“It seems that you’re in luck. First, we need to wait for Sylvia. She’s been trying to get your school records from Massachusetts, so we can enroll you here. It should take a few more days, so you’re stuck with your old man for a bit longer.” He chuckled, and Rob smiled and returned the chuckle as well.

“Second, we have a few options you can do. If you want to play Lacrosse and Hockey, then the public high school we are zoned for, H. B. Plant High School has both. They are also a pure team in the Lightning High School Hockey League, meaning all players come from that school. If you want to stay home and be homeschooled that is an option for you. You can also stay home, and go to the Hillsborough County Virtual School, where it’s work at your own pace, and all online. Or, we can find a private school for you. I’m not sure if you’re religious, and if you follow the Catholic faith or not, but Jesuit High School, is an all-boys private school, and they have a pure team as well in the high school league.”

Adam paused a moment to take a drink of his coffee. “I’m leaving the choice up to you, Rob.”

Rob shook his head stunned. “I… I… don’t get you, dad.”

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Well I'm already hooked on the chapter.  I guess Rob isn't used to having so much say so in his future.  Obviously being with Dad will be good for him.  Hope he doesn't take the home school or online school route, as he needs to find some people his age to bond with in the area. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Well I'm already hooked on the chapter.

Awesome. I'm about halfway through what I want in this chapter. So, hopefully just a few more days.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Awesome. I'm about halfway through what I want in this chapter. So, hopefully just a few more days.

No lie, this is probably my favorite of your stories, and I’m really glad you’re posting it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Plant High...the home of the Panthers...with the water tower on Himes saying Home of Champions...Here is something about HB Plant, Florida and Connecticut...That is that both states have schools in Plant's buildings...U of Tampa in Plant's Tampa Bay Hotel...U of Connecticut Avery Point is in Plant's house...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Well I'm already hooked on the chapter.  I guess Rob isn't used to having so much say so in his future.  Obviously being with Dad will be good for him.  Hope he doesn't take the home school or online school route, as he needs to find some people his age to bond with in the area. 

One thing about Tampa's school (really Hillsborough County Schools) they have more students than a school in the Boston area...my brother was still in elementary school when we moved down and the school in our old hometown was 300 kids...his here was 700. Plant is a great school, but Rob might be overwhelmed with almost double of the kids. Not sure if he is from the city itself, or Suburbs or even rural areas...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Plant High...the home of the Panthers...with the water tower on Himes saying Home of Champions...Here is something about HB Plant, Florida and Connecticut...That is that both states have schools in Plant's buildings...U of Tampa in Plant's Tampa Bay Hotel...U of Connecticut Avery Point is in Plant's house...

I've been on the museum tour a couple of times. I just love the look of the building and went on the ghost tour they did once. The custodial staff still say there are areas that are haunted.

2 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

One thing about Tampa's school (really Hillsborough County Schools) they have more students than a school in the Boston area...my brother was still in elementary school when we moved down and the school in our old hometown was 300 kids...his here was 700. Plant is a great school, but Rob might be overwhelmed with almost double of the kids. Not sure if he is from the city itself, or Suburbs or even rural areas...

Hadn't thought about the exact location where Rob is from. I'm not 100% familiar with Boston and did a bunch of research. I'm thinking he is from the City proper, but with his likes of Lacrosse and Hockey, it will have to be a school that has both up there.

Plant's Hockey program is considered a Club because it's outside of the standard School Sports authority. But it's a pure team in the High School league. I love how the Lightning is building up the Hockey community here in Tampa.

Yeah, that was something that I was shocked about, was the capacity between the two school districts. When I graduated, I did with a 3.0 GPA and was ranked 50th out of a class of 750.

• Like 1

Another Sneak Peek of chapter 4. It continues from where I left off from above. It's Adam's response. Again, not edited, and Raw, so it is not in it's final version.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, after I was dropped off by Sylvia, you’ve put your life on hold for me, and you spent a small fortune on clothes, furniture, and stuff. You’ve asked what I wanted to do and included me in decisions you’ve made. Also, you’ve been honest with me about mom and her family, about your brother, and now you want me to go to the business meeting and make my own choice about school.” Rob shook his head in disbelief. “I don’t get it. Mom wasn’t like this.”

Adam nodded and walked over to his son. He reached over and squeezed his shoulder lovingly. “Ah…” He took another swallow of his beverage. “This is how I see it, Rob. Like I said the other day, you’re my son and only child, and there is no doubt in my mind that I love you. We’re still getting to know each other, and all our little quirks.

“Now, you are also sixteen-years-old. You’re old enough to drive with a restricted license here in Florida. You can get a part-time job if you wanted. You’re a couple of years from being considered an adult, where you can vote, or go into the military. Hell, right now, you’re physically capable of fathering your own child, if you were straight and seeing a girl.” Adam paused.

“What I’m getting at Rob is this. You’re a young adult. So, instead of treating you like a child who doesn’t have his own opinions, likes dislikes, and your own agency. I decided to treat you like an adult. Yeah, I’m the dad, I have to enforce the rules, be there to give you guidance, but it would be a mistake to treat you like a child instead of an adult. That’s how I see, and feel, about it. Does it make sense to you?”

Rob nodded. “It does dad. I… I’m still trying to get used to all this.” He let out a long calming breath.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Another Sneak Peek of chapter 4. It continues from where I left off from above. It's Adam's response. Again, not edited, and Raw, so it is not in it's final version.

Love it... I looked at MaxPreps and a few Boston schools do have both...but I'd say a suburb or a regional school would be better...(but it just my opinion)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I've been on the museum tour a couple of times. I just love the look of the building and went on the ghost tour they did once. The custodial staff still say there are areas that are haunted.

Hadn't thought about the exact location where Rob is from. I'm not 100% familiar with Boston and did a bunch of research. I'm thinking he is from the City proper, but with his likes of Lacrosse and Hockey, it will have to be a school that has both up there.

Plant's Hockey program is considered a Club because it's outside of the standard School Sports authority. But it's a pure team in the High School league. I love how the Lightning is building up the Hockey community here in Tampa.

Yeah, that was something that I was shocked about, was the capacity between the two school districts. When I graduated, I did with a 3.0 GPA and was ranked 50th out of a class of 750.

I think both sports (lacrosse and hockey) are growth sports in Florida...

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

I think both sports (lacrosse and hockey) are growth sports in Florida...

Football has been the dominant sport, followed by Baseball in Florida for as long as I've been here.

But Lacrosse is an official FL School Sport, where Hockey is sanctioned, but it's in a different authority program. I love how the Lightning took over the governorship of the High School league that was here, and the FL Panthers took over the one in Miami-Dade. It's slowly becoming a Hockey state.

One thing to point out. Yeah, I have a lot of Hockey stuff in the story, but It's not really a story about Hockey. Just the Playoffs are influencing the story. LOL

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Love it... I looked at MaxPreps and a few Boston schools do have both...but I'd say a suburb or a regional school would be better...(but it just my opinion)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

• Like 2