The scent of your partner

I just realize something, I thought it was just due to my visual issues enhancing my sense of smell, but wanted to ask:

Do any of you guys or girls find your partner to smell particularly good?

I've never got this kind of feeling from prior relationship (though most lasted less than 3 months)

It's not any particular thing either like sweat or a fetish, but I've noticed the scent of my boyfriend a bit more over time. At first, I didn't notice it, but as time wore on, it grew on me and there's something pleasant about it. Maybe it's psychological or biological, but I do want to ask if I am alone in this.

• Like 4

Firstly, my smell is enhanced by blindness. So I understand the visual aspect. Yes, I’m greatly affected by partners scent. It’s home, soothing and reassuring. Just smelling him lowers stress and breathing.

It is also what gets me really going when amorous.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yes. Smelling is a very important sense. It triggers the most memories, you can recall things better if there is a smell involved rather than relying on sight, taste, etc. I still remember that Aaron smelled like gain laundry detergent, coffee, and cinnamon gum the first time we met. With that memory, I can easily recall the time, day, what I was doing, what I was wearing. To be more on topic though, we do somewhat choose our mates based on that sense, it is a qualifying factor, a strong one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I actually have a sort of hang up on smelling people. Not only my partner, but everyone. Sometimes it's not a good idea, but I can't help myself. If someone who I like doesn't smell nice it's such a let down. And I agree on smells being a gateway to memories. Happens to me all the time. 

As for my partner, I'm not sure I even smell him anymore or if his scent has become imprinted so deeply I don't think of it as a scent anymore. It's simply home. 

• Like 1

Biologically speaking, the pheromones of your particular mate tell you that genetically you two are compatible. What other’s might consider stinky, you’ll crave. It’s why the most visceral movement in grief you’ll ever have is if you find an article of clothing, bedsheet, or pillow case that still has the scent of the one who has gone away or passed away. This is particularly hard if the parting has been recent.

I like to refer to scents in my writings since I know that this sense, even above sight, brings forth the rawest emotions. It does so because it is hardest wired to our primitive brains. When you are born, the first sense you experience outside of touch is smell. It is the sense that bonds baby to mama and mama to baby. Your baby smells ‘right’ and mama will always smell ‘right’ to the child.

So will it be with your heart’s other half.

Edited by MrM
  • Like 3
On 4/5/2018 at 11:43 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Firstly, my smell is enhanced by blindness. So I understand the visual aspect. Yes, I’m greatly affected by partners scent. It’s home, soothing and reassuring. Just smelling him lowers stress and breathing.

It is also what gets me really going when amorous.

Definitely true on all counts for me

On 4/6/2018 at 12:01 AM, Krista said:

Yes. Smelling is a very important sense. It triggers the most memories, you can recall things better if there is a smell involved rather than relying on sight, taste, etc. I still remember that Aaron smelled like gain laundry detergent, coffee, and cinnamon gum the first time we met. With that memory, I can easily recall the time, day, what I was doing, what I was wearing. To be more on topic though, we do somewhat choose our mates based on that sense, it is a qualifying factor, a strong one. 

@Krista That's really cool, I wonder if I'll get that kind of reaction eventually.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:54 AM, Puppilull said:

I actually have a sort of hang up on smelling people. Not only my partner, but everyone. Sometimes it's not a good idea, but I can't help myself. If someone who I like doesn't smell nice it's such a let down. And I agree on smells being a gateway to memories. Happens to me all the time. 

As for my partner, I'm not sure I even smell him anymore or if his scent has become imprinted so deeply I don't think of it as a scent anymore. It's simply home. 

@Puppilull Well home is where the heart is, so it makes sense. Maybe there's a phase of things with scents going from strong and attraction based to bonding with you as a part of your life.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:50 PM, MrM said:

Biologically speaking, the pheromones of your particular mate tell you that genetically you two are compatible. What other’s might consider stinky, you’ll crave. It’s why the most visceral movement in grief you’ll ever have is if you find an article of clothing, bedsheet, or pillow case that still has the scent of the one who has gone away or passed away. This is particularly hard if the parting has been recent.

I like to refer to scents in my writings since I know that this sense, even above sight, brings forth the rawest emotions. It does so because it is hardest wired to our primitive brains. When you are born, the first sense you experience outside of touch is smell. It is the sense that bonds baby to mama and mama to baby. Your baby smells ‘right’ and mama will always smell ‘right’ to the child.

So will it be with your heart’s other half.

There's another aspect too, there's a longing for that scent from your partner even if they're not too far apart from you. That might be psychological reaction to bonding I guess.

Oddly enough I can remember when I was a kid and missed my mom after she had left to be with her new husband, she was close and came by from time to time, but there was something soothing about stuff with her scent too. It's a different kind of emotional memory prompt, I guess that's the mama bond you mention @MrM

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, W_L said:

There's another aspect too, there's a longing for that scent from your partner even if they're not too far apart from you. That might be psychological reaction to bonding I guess.

Oddly enough I can remember when I was a kid and missed my mom after she had left to be with her new husband, she was close and came by from time to time, but there was something soothing about stuff with her scent too. It's a different kind of emotional memory prompt, I guess that's the mama bond you mention @MrM

God forbid this is any time soon, but it's even more apparent when you either lose your loved one to death or permanent separation. If you want to 'hit 'em where it hurts' as far as a visceral reaction in stories is concerned, bring in the 'scent question'. Everyone knows it, even if they've not thought about it.

PS:

yes, I am pure evil. :devil:

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Jamie tends to smell like soap or our laundry detergent which I like. I'm not big on her perfume but she wears this one that smells absolutely amazing. I don't know if I've noticed myself being attracted to pheromones but I suppose I am because she's never came off as stinky to me. 

• Like 1

I've been out of a relationship for quite a while.  But when I was with my Ex, and before things got rocky I was known to keep dirty cloths of his around when he went on trips (for business and the like) so I wouldn't feel so lonely.  Was that a kink?  Probably not.  I was with him for a fifth of my life, and I know several women who have been married 25-40 years who have done similar things.

• Like 1