• Site Administrator

It's hard to wrap your mind around the instant loss of so many young lives.  My heart breaks for the families and loved ones of those affected, and for all of Canada.   Major :hug: for you, Steve.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This horrific tragedy has been on all day in US as well. It’s hard to reconcile a freak occurrence like this. Families, lives and dreams destroyed, or altered.

Its understandable to have such a reaction. Hockey is engrained in Canada’s identity. Sending you hugs buddy. 🤗

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, wildone said:

Thoughts and prayers are coming in from around the world, from world leaders like Donald Trump and Theresa May have echoed those of the thousands of other people reaching out to the players, the families, the team members, the town of Humboldt, the first responders and all those touched by this tragedy. Donations too, in under 14 hours, over 1 million has been raised by a GoFundMe page. The NHL (National Hockey League) has a full line up of games tonight and each game will pay tribute to the tragedy and moments of silence.

I saw this when i was watching the Jays game last night .. it's so sad, tragic and heartbreaking. It's a huge loss, and it's no surprise you feel it like you do... you lived the life, loved hockey and understand what it means. So you feeling as you do is understandable.  I think talking is good, and letting yourself mourn is also good.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

They mentioned it at the start of the Lightning at Hurricanes game tonight, and read the statement from the team. They also mentioned one of our assistant coaches was involved, but I miss how. My heart goes out to those families, and my prayers.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, wildone said:

I'll admit, I'm a mess today :(

I think by talking about this might help me a bit.

I grew up playing hockey, I played hockey up to my accident a few years ago. Anyone, hockey or any sport, dreams of continuing to play to the upper levels of their sport and possibly up to and into the professional leagues.

Hockey, maybe different than other sports, has many ways to go onto the professional leagues. Kids start hockey young in Canada and I'm sure in many other countries too. As you progress though age groups, you then make it to Bantam where the best of the best move into what are tiered leagues, AA, AAA and then that is where scouts start to watch. Some go onto Junior A teams that spot across Canada sea to sea. Not just local kids but ones that have come from far and wide.

Parents in the local communities open their houses up and billet 1 or 2 kids for up to 6 years I believe where they grow and become young men playing for their towns hockey team and are a major part of their communities.

What comes with junior hockey is travel, and not the travel of having a plane ride or big money sponsorship and boosters making it easier. To make it fair, all teams must travel by the team bus. To keep expenses in check, teams will have a athletic therapist or a manager or someone who does something on the team and also drives the bus.

Last evening, 29 members of the Humboldt Junior A Broncos were heading north on a 2 lane primary highway to Nipawin for game 3 of the 5 game playoff series they were in. At an intersection of a secondary highway, a tractor trailer unit slammed into the bus with players, coaches and other team staff, ripping apart the bus. 14 died on scene, another one died today. The other 14 are in hospital, some in critical condition, some having parents rushing from all across the prairies with notice of their kids not being able to feel their limbs.

So much tragedy in mere seconds.

This isn't the first tragic accident in sports, but maybe one of the largest.

I can't turn off the TV, and I have been sobbing at different times. I don't know why in particular this opposed to other mass deaths. Could it be the fact that my connection and Canada's connection to hockey. Watching grown men and women who aren't connected to Humboldt, Saskatchewan or Canada shedding tears and feeling the pain is sometimes too moving.

Thoughts and prayers are coming in from around the world, from world leaders like Donald Trump and Theresa May have echoed those of the thousands of other people reaching out to the players, the families, the team members, the town of Humboldt, the first responders and all those touched by this tragedy. Donations too, in under 14 hours, over 1 million has been raised by a GoFundMe page. The NHL (National Hockey League) has a full line up of games tonight and each game will pay tribute to the tragedy and moments of silence.

Here is an article that sums up the story

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/offers-help-pour-humboldt-broncos-124959248.html

:,(

I played hockey in Connecticut and my coach told me that the OHL might draft me, but I knew my parents didn't want me to travel in Michigan and Ontario on a bus. I also wanted to play soccer and lacrosse for my high school but I knew I wouldn't be a NHL star. I decided to play in Connecticut and go to college and join the club team there. That said, Prayers to the victim's families.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

I don't know who they managed to get this tribute put together so quickly, but it's wonderful and humbling and amazing. 

@BlindAmbition The players on both teams have the Broncos written on the back of their hockey jerseys in place of their respective names. I've only seen one other video of players doing the same, but I think most if not all of the NHL teams have done this. I also one game where the team's logo was painted on the ice to pay tribute to the team. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I don't know who they managed to get this tribute put together so quickly, but it's wonderful and humbling and amazing. 

@BlindAmbition The players on both teams have the Broncos written on the back of their hockey jerseys in place of their respective names. I've only seen one other video of players doing the same, but I think most if not all of the NHL teams have done this. I also one game where the team's logo was painted on the ice to pay tribute to the team. 

As a hockey fan my whole life, it’s brutal on the ice. A true brotherhood exists in the sport though.

• Love 3
  • 3 weeks later...