Tech that allows more engaging experiences for the blind!

Technology improves leaps and bounds. Often improving on tedious tasks and replacing outdated processes. Another thing that improves is accessibility with the technology.

As a blind individual who is fiercely independent... this is a welcome benefit of technology. Things like Alexa help me do 99.9% of things for myself. Technology is also allowing me to interact with the world at large on a greater scale.

An example of this will follow. Ford is working on a smart window that has vibrating sensors. Along with vibration, description is given to blind passenger as to what they are passing. This is amazing and a pretty ingenious use of technology. Riding in a car can be dreadfully boring for a blind individual.

Let me know what you think. Feel free to add more examples you’ve seen.

Ford Smart Window: https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/ford-smart-windows-help-blind-passengers-take-in-view/

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...

This is fantastic. Like most other sighted people, I suppose, I have never given any thought to things like this. As a passenger, it would be difficult for me to keep my eyes closed for an entire car journey, even if it's just local. I love to see technology like this. It's good to see car manufacturers putting money into projects like this. Thanks JP.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:55 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Technology improves leaps and bounds. Often improving on tedious tasks and replacing outdated processes. Another thing that improves is accessibility with the technology.

As a blind individual who is fiercely independent... this is a welcome benefit of technology. Things like Alexa help me do 99.9% of things for myself. Technology is also allowing me to interact with the world at large on a greater scale.

An example of this will follow. Ford is working on a smart window that has vibrating sensors. Along with vibration, description is given to blind passenger as to what they are passing. This is amazing and a pretty ingenious use of technology. Riding in a car can be dreadfully boring for a blind individual.

Let me know what you think. Feel free to add more examples you’ve seen.

Ford Smart Window: https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/ford-smart-windows-help-blind-passengers-take-in-view/

You and I are probably the 2 most active blind members of GA :D

Another very cool system that has been developed, with me as a guinea pig along with other low vision/blind volunteers, is a 3D Camera for blind navigation

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/visually-impaired-3d-camera-haptic-feedback/

MIT has been working for years now on several projects geared at helping the blind by using tactile interface and 3D imaging advancements found in driver-less cars currently in testing. It's like having a different set of eyes, giving you feedback and telling you what's walk-able or not, simple object identification, and figuring depth.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dodger said:

This is fantastic. Like most other sighted people, I suppose, I have never given any thought to things like this. As a passenger, it would be difficult for me to keep my eyes closed for an entire car journey, even if it's just local. I love to see technology like this. It's good to see car manufacturers putting money into projects like this. Thanks JP.

You should try walking in your own home with a blindfold, (make sure you put away anything sharp or dangerous of course), it would help you understand how people with low vision or completely blind navigate. I know sighted friends, who get new appreciations for their surroundings by trying it. Plus, I also think Netflix basically stole some of the concept with their movie "Bird Box"

• Like 2
6 hours ago, W_L said:

You and I are probably the 2 most active blind members of GA :D

Another very cool system that has been developed, with me as a guinea pig along with other low vision/blind volunteers, is a 3D Camera for blind navigation

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/visually-impaired-3d-camera-haptic-feedback/

MIT has been working for years now on several projects geared at helping the blind by using tactile interface and 3D imaging advancements found in driver-less cars currently in testing. It's like having a different set of eyes, giving you feedback and telling you what's walk-able or not, simple object identification, and figuring depth.

You should try walking in your own home with a blindfold, (make sure you put away anything sharp or dangerous of course), it would help you understand how people with low vision or completely blind navigate. I know sighted friends, who get new appreciations for their surroundings by trying it. Plus, I also think Netflix basically stole some of the concept with their movie "Bird Box"

I haven't seen 'Bird  Box', but I'm going to try this experiment using blacked out safety goggles, which should block out all light. I suspect it will be a lot more difficult and frustrating than it sounds, but I will take this seriously and let you know how I get on.

• Like 1