Latest story updates

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Hi

I know there have been some issues that look a lot like mine, but here it is anyway - my latest story update doesn’t appear in the Latest Story Updates block.

I uploaded it some time ago, unpublished, and the published it earlier today.  I do it this was as I have previous run in to problems publishing it at some future date at the time of upload.  It appears as expected in the Latest Story Updates activity feed, but not in the box on Forums or Stories pages.  If I’m doing something wrong or unhelpful, then I’d appreciate anya device.

Thanks

Sam

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

What I see when I look at your story history, what I saw is that you saved/published Chapter 4 on 5-9-18,  then edited the chapter today. Typically, if you "edit" a post-dated or unpublished chapter, it screws up the announcing date/time, even if the chapter then shows updated 5-23. That probably means the "announcement" date would be for the original publication date of 5-9, which is why you wouldn't see them in the recent updates lists on the Forum/Stories pages. How did you make your chapter live? Did you edit the chapter or just use the drop menu to publish it? There may be a bug in the system regarding unpublished chapters announcing, but we'll have to test it to make sure. The more information we have on exactly what you did, the better. 

On another note, I noticed in your chapters that you have incorrect spacing between your paragraphs. You should have a single space between every paragraph, unless you're using a double space to indicate a scene break in a chapter. You have single spaced and then double spaced paragraphs mixed throughout your chapters randomly. 

• Like 2

For this chapter I saved it unpublished, and then edited it and published (from the edit page, not using the dropdown) it today, so maybe that is what is causing the problem.  And I’ll look at the spacing - it’s a seemingly permanent problem I have here.

Edited by Sam Wyer
Clarity of process
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
6 hours ago, Sam Wyer said:

For this chapter I saved it unpublished,

What was the timeframe between saving it unpublished and publishing publicly?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

If you want to check a potential "before" case, the second chapter of Leopard Hunt was originally posted as unpublished, and sometime later I edited to put in a publication date of this coming Saturday. You can check it's current status, and then use that information if it doesn't appear in the story update list to work out why.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Myr said:

What was the timeframe between saving it unpublished and publishing publicly?

I don't remember exactly, but a couple of weeks at least.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

I'll add it to my evergrowing list.  The system is tested and works when you post a chapter immediately or post a chapter for publishing at a set time.  As soon as you start doing edits on an unpublished chapter, whether that is unpublished or unpublished and set for a posting time, it's starts doing strange things.  There is also possibly a malfunctioning date based security feature.  The system is made to publish stories... not use it at a word processor. 

Best advice until we sort things out...

Don't put anything into the system until it is ready to publish.  Use the Preview button.  It works.  Publish immediately.  For the love of all that is holy, if it doesn't post looking correct, do not unpublish. Just edit it immediately.  When you publish, it triggers the notifications and when you unpublish after that, it triggers support requests saying such and such a story was announced but is now missing.  

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Myr said:

I'll add it to my evergrowing list.  The system is tested and works when you post a chapter immediately or post a chapter for publishing at a set time.  As soon as you start doing edits on an unpublished chapter, whether that is unpublished or unpublished and set for a posting time, it's starts doing strange things.  There is also possibly a malfunctioning date based security feature.  The system is made to publish stories... not use it at a word processor. 

Best advice until we sort things out...

Don't put anything into the system until it is ready to publish.  Use the Preview button.  It works.  Publish immediately.  For the love of all that is holy, if it doesn't post looking correct, do not unpublish. Just edit it immediately.  When you publish, it triggers the notifications and when you unpublish after that, it triggers support requests saying such and such a story was announced but is now missing.  

Thanks - I'll work to this for future stories - this one is already all uploaded (but mostly unpublished) so I'll just live with not appearing in the 'Latest' list.

• Like 1