June is LGBT Pride Month- How will you celebrate?

This weekend our city celebrates Pride. Tonight, it kicks off with a speeches and performances downtown. Tomorrow at noon is our Pride parade. In the evening we'll be meeting friends for dinner before we attend a performance of the Gay Men's Chorus. I look forward to this weekend because it is a time I can openly celebrate with the LGBT community, and we in one united voice shout: ' We're gay, We're proud! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I’ll be attending Frameline42, this year’s version of the world’s oldest and world’s largest LGBTQ film festival. I am a member of Frameline, the organization that puts on the San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival. I’ve been seeing movies at Frameline since before the 15th festival (I have the t-shirt to prove it and I know I didn’t get t-shirts for earlier festivals I attended).  ;–)

I get the Castro Pass that lets me see everything except the Opening and Closing Night Programs (they’re extra cost and much more expensive). So I sit in the theater all day for a week and a half (sneaking out to get dinner). It’s a 90-120 minute commute by train from home each way.  ;–)

I might catch a few of the LGBTQ specials on KQED, San Francisco’s PBS station.  ;–)

I’m proud that my own city and at least one of the neighboring cities (as well as the much larger cities of Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco) fly the Rainbow Flag over their city halls every year! Last year a local group put up an LGBTQ Pride art exhibit in the empty storefront on the ground floor of the BART parking garage. Unfortunately, there was some minor graffiti sprayed on the glass, proving that homophobia is alive and festering here too.

Edited by Former Member
Just now, TetRefine said:

The purest celebration of homosexuality. 😛

Yeah. I wish I would have been able to go to KC Pride. It was this weekend. Mb I'll go down to Southern Decadence in Louisiana in September. I've heard it's practically an orgy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, Tiger said:

Yeah. I wish I would have been able to go to KC Pride. It was this weekend. Mb I'll go down to Southern Decadence in Louisiana in September. I've heard it's practically an orgy. 

I had a friend who went to that a few years ago, and if even half the stories he told me were true, yeah pretty much. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

Growing up in Jersey, then working and living in NYC... I miss Pride. There’s no explaining NYC Pride... it has to be experienced to understood. Uplifting, unifying, hostorical importance. Love and community!!

Vegas is a sad substitute. Here it’s just a reason to party. These lame ass people celebrate in October... not taking on the spirit of June Pride!!

London is supposed to be insane as well from what I understand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

No practically about it, Decadence is as decadent as you can get. Mardi Gras debauchery with extra testosterone. Careful around Rawhide, you may see sexual acts right on the street. :P

Hmmmm, I heard all this from a friend...

Umm. I am a little more discrete than that. I don't want to be filmed having sex on Bourbon Street. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Carlos Hazday said:

A star is born!

Omg, Lady Gaga's remake comes out this fall IIRC. That would be a good date! Anyway, yeah I am still in that transition after bariatric surgery where I'm not yet comfortable being filmed, whether I'm at a Pride event or not. I need some nips and tucks. NGL. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 6/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Vegas is a sad substitute. Here it’s just a reason to party. These lame ass people celebrate in October... not taking on the spirit of June Pride!!

Who’d want to march in a parade in the desert in June? It’d have to be a night parade. Do people go down to LA or Long Beach for Pride?

SF Pride dominates the Bay Area, but there are much smaller events held in smaller cities and towns all over the region. San José/Silicon Valley has its own moderately large celebration. Oakland Pride is a more family-friendly affair than San Francisco’s and is held in September.  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Who’d want to march in a parade in the desert in June? It’d have to be a night parade. Do people go down to LA or Long Beach for Pride?  ;–)

A lot of people go elsewhere. Vegas normally isn’t that bad in June. July and August is when it’s 118.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Omg, Lady Gaga's remake comes out this fall IIRC. That would be a good date! Anyway, yeah I am still in that transition after bariatric surgery where I'm not yet comfortable being filmed, whether I'm at a Pride event or not. I need some nips and tucks. NGL. 

Gives you something to work towards and look forward to! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1