Real heroes (who didn’t sign up for dangerous jobs)

The Santa Rosa CityBus system released footage from buses used to evacuate residents in the middle of the night during the catastrophic wildfires in the Napa & Sonoma County area in October. Apparently, drivers were called up at 2am and asked if they could drive – 6 showed up and evacuated about 400 seniors and people with disabilities. None of these people signed up to be bus drivers expecting to be driving around in the middle of a wildfire!

21 minutes ago, Ronyx said:

Heartwarming story @droughtquake

I just finished reading a story about a man, Terrance Mannery, who single-handedly fought off an antigay mob that was chasing four gay men following the Utah Pride Festival in Salt Lake City. He put himself in harm's way to protect four strangers. A true hero!

https://www.advocate.com/crime/2018/6/06/lone-man-fights-antigay-mob-utah-pride 

Wow! That’s like something out of a movie. Hope this man is given some type of award. Would also love if a local gay club threw a party for him. It’d be a good way to bring two communities together in spite of the unfortunate way these 4 men met him.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

A few years ago, Pink Saturday, an evening street party in The Castro on the day before the San Francisco LGBTQ Pride Parade, was cancelled due to someone being shot. This sort of thing happens even in the Bay Area. As usual, it involved teenaged boys.

On several occasions in the past, homophobic teens had bashed people in The Castro. They were usually from one of the outlying communities on the edge of the Bay Area – the home of the only operating military base in the Bay Area and has the most affordable housing in the nine-county region. Teenaged boys often feel the need to ‘prove’ their masculinity by attacking those who transgress their concept of manhood. Lower levels of economics and education are often intertwined with homophobia.

Edited by Former Member
  • 2 months later...

In 1989, when the Cypress Structure double-decked viaduct section of I-880 collapsed during the Loma Prieta Quake, ordinary residents of West Oakland (one of Oakland’s ghettoes) grabbed ladders and climbed into the wreckage to rescue people trapped in their vehicles. The vast majority of the rescued were white suburban commuters while the rescuers where mostly black. The freeway had been routed as part of Urban Renewal (ie minority community destruction) and walled off the remaining community from downtown Oakland. When it was rebuilt, the freeway was moved to surface-level in a railroad right of way that was redundant after a series of railroad mergers (UP/WP, then UP/SP). A surface street named Mandela Parkway was created in the cleared former route.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, most people have good intentions. You just have to see how most of us react when something terrible happens: a natural disaster; a terrorist attack; a car, boat, or plane accident, you name it. I have known people who did not have the best reputation who reacted the best when tragedy arose. Some believe that most people are evil because of the information that the media feeds on them, after all, good news is not a profitable as catastrophes, killings, or robberies. But that cannot be further than the truth. 

Thank you for posting. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Solivagant said:

In my opinion, most people have good intentions. You just have to see how most of us react when something terrible happens: a natural disaster; a terrorist attack; a car, boat, or plane accident, you name it. I have known people who did not have the best reputation who reacted the best when tragedy arose. Some believe that most people are evil because of the information that the media feeds on them, after all, good news is not a profitable as catastrophes, killings, or robberies. But that cannot be further than the truth. 

Thank you for posting. 

I can just imagine that newscast!  ;–)

“Today, 7.68 million people didn’t kill, rob, vandalize, take drugs, crash their vehicles, have a house fire, weren't involved in an accident, weren't involved in a criminal activity, or have any bad news! 7.68 million of us had a pretty good day today! So here are more beautiful shots of the Bay Area that we love…”  ;–)