Sign in to follow this  
Mark Arbour

A Game: Find the hidden modern reference

Sometimes, just for fun, I'll put a modern term into a historical story.  A good example would be in "Master and Commander", when Granger is approaching Port St. Louis, they must hoist the recognition signal, which is 4-20.  There's one in Northern Exposure.  Did you find it?

• Like 3

It's probably not the one you're looking for,  but I found Daventry's use of "bloke" a bit disconcerting. It was more for class than chronology, though.  A quick Google etymology check reveals it dates to the mid 19th century. I'd have expected him to have used "fellow" instead. 

• Like 3

Dammit, Mark. You now have me rereading the whole book backwards. This is a cruel jape, indeed.

In chapter 9, "traffic jam" is from 1908. And I'm fairly certain that's not it, either. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Arbour said:

I don’t think I was clear.  It’s at least a sentence long.  And here’s a hint:  Disney 

So, now I have to start the backwards reading process all over again? :unsure:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, impunity said:

So, now I have to start the backwards reading process all over again? :unsure:

No, it's within the last 5 chapters. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mark Arbour said:

I had to double check to make sure Chapter 13 was within the last five chapters.

I actually got as far back as 11 yesterday (skipping 17 which was posted after this thread) before I gave up. I found one possible reference (coincidentally in chapter 13) but I wasn't sure about it. Since it's all I can find, and you've confirmed the chapter, here goes. 

Spoiler

“There was a famous Norwegian Captain named Apkott. He survived a massive maelstrom, and when questioned about it, he replied simply that to know Norway was to know the sea.”

It sounds very much like something I heard at the Norwegian Pavilion at Epcot, although it's been at least two decades since I was last there. 

Am I the only one playing?  :rolleyes:

Edited by impunity

18 hours ago, impunity said:

I actually got as far back as 11 yesterday (skipping 17 which was posted after this thread) before I gave up. I found one possible reference (coincidentally in chapter 13) but I wasn't sure about it. Since it's all I can find, and you've confirmed the chapter, here goes. 

Reveal hidden contents

“There was a famous Norwegian Captain named Apkott. He survived a massive maelstrom, and when questioned about it, he replied simply that to know Norway was to know the sea.”

It sounds very much like something I heard at the Norwegian Pavilion at Epcot, although it's been at least two decades since I was last there. 

Am I the only one playing?  :rolleyes:

Very good!  I don't know if you're the only one playing, but you're the person who won! 

• Like 1

The Norwegian Pavilion at Epcot had a ride called "Maelstrom", which has since been turned into a ride for Frozen 😡

Either before or after the ride, a Norwegian voice that pelted out that "to know Norway is to know the sea."  It stuck in my memory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Arbour said:

Very good!  I don't know if you're the only one playing, but you're the person who won! 

1 hour ago, Mark Arbour said:

The Norwegian Pavilion at Epcot had a ride called "Maelstrom", which has since been turned into a ride for Frozen 😡

Either before or after the ride, a Norwegian voice that pelted out that "to know Norway is to know the sea."  It stuck in my memory.  

I didn't remember the ride, but I remembered the voice (and the Smörgåsbord -- I had my first Thanksgiving dinner there after I moved to this country). :)  I wasn't sure at first because I sometimes have a hard time figuring out which of your characters are historical and which are fictional. I was driving myself crazy trying to google famous Norwegian sailors. I came pretty close to messaging @Timothy M. to see if he knew if "Apkott" was real. I also googled the Norwegian Pavilion and found a similar, but not identical, quote in a transcript. In the end, you provided enough clues that I took a chance.  :blushing:

So, what do I win besides your undying admiration...for getting there eventually? First one to limp over the finish line. On crutches. Haha!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, impunity said:

. I came pretty close to messaging @Timothy M. to see if he knew if "Apkott" was real.

I'm glad you didn't. I would have been all :huh:

Congrats on winning. :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm glad you didn't. I would have been all :huh:

Congrats on winning. :lol:

Not an expert on those fake famous Norwegian sailors then? :gikkle: 

We need a curtseying emoji. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1