Readers: Do you read Prologues?

Prologues  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read the Prologue, if the Writer includes one in their story?

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

If the author wrote a prologue, I would assume it's because it's necessary for the story.  I can't imagine why someone would skip reading it.  

I second (or is it third by now :P ) this.

However, when i clicked yes on the poll it listed me as no :/ and won't let me change it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Caz Pedroso said:

However, when i clicked yes on the poll it listed me as no :/ and won't let me change it.

I looked at the Poll settings, and I can't change it to allow a revote. Maybe an Admin?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Caz Pedroso said:

it will teach me to have my coffee before I log onto GA

That's been my problem this morning. I can't seem to wake up.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Caz Pedroso said:

Doesn't matter, but thank you :)  As long as my comment is there then people know what I meant. I probably wasn't concentrating as much as I should have been, it will teach me to have my coffee before I log onto GA

18 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

That's been my problem this morning. I can't seem to wake up.

"first i do the coffee, then i do the things" is kind of my motto

17 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

If a writer includes a Prologue to their story, do you read it or skip it?

if a writer includes, i read it, heck if a writer includes links, i follow them too

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I tend to agree with the comments.  If there is a prologue, I read it.  
Years ago I saw a prologue that partly made sense starting with chapter 1, then the rest made sense about 20 chapters in.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I read Prologues because they often set up the story and make things easier to understand. I glance at the quotes some writers add above each chapter too. But I rarely check links – especially if it’s for a video. I don’t have unlimited bandwidth and don’t want to waste it on things like that! Some of us are very poor!  ;–)

I block autoplay of all videos. It offends me when some people refuse to describe what their video is (I see a large blank space). It only takes a few seconds to type in the title of the song or the name of the company in the ad or whatever. Gif avatars are annoying too because I can’t block them and their constant motion is distracting.

2 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

The problem with some prologues, is that if they don't grab my attention, I may stop reading and never even start the story.....

I’ve read a few that are as long as the chapters that follow!  ;–)

• 2 weeks later...

Though not an integral part of the story, like many said, prologue provides an important backstory or background to the story to come.  Though I admit I sometimes skip it at first then come back to it because sometimes I am afraid it might be a spoiler....  Personally if I included a prologue, it's very important.  I don't like prologues of classics stories because I dunno, they're boring.  Though Mary Shelley's Frankenstein's preface is super important (the 1818 edition).  I don't like reading some novel's forewords because they're written by other people....  Just some random thought.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator

I always read prologues. Even if they might not be crucial for understanding the story that’s to come, they always add something to it. That’s my opinion, anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1