Xbox One vs PlayStation 4 vs Switch

• Site Administrator

Now that I've got platform agnostic this generation buy getting every system, I thought I'd weigh in on things.

First up, I've been an Xbox guy since early 2006.  Before that, I was a PC guy pretty much exclusively.  I always enjoyed Super Mario Brothers, Castlevania, and Zelda games on Nintendo though.

Current Hardware setup:

I have a 7.2.2 (2 Dolby Atmos speakers.  7 standard speakers and 2 sub-woofers).

have a late model Samsung 4k tv with HDR.

I have an Xbox One X, a PlayStation 4 Pro and a Nintendo Switch.

Xbox One X

• Pros
    • Best Hardware as far as power goes.  Every game that is on all systems, looks best here.
    • Friendliest User Interface of the bunch
    • Best controller for people with larger hands
    • With the new group feature, hands down best way to organize digital content on any of the consoles.
    • Backwards compatible games
    • Xbox One X enhanced 4k games... even of multiple 360 titles.
  • Negatives
    • Single player games are a bit weak on this system.
    • There are basically no Exclusive games.  Especially good story based ones
    • Store is well organized but can be dog slow far too often.

PlayStation 4

• Pros
    • Best looking console.  The flashy lights on both the console and controller appeal to my inner self yelling "Squirrel!"
    • Best Singleplayer exclusive games (Though Nintendo does well here)
    • Games play great on the Pro console
    • Digital Store has a cart.  That's great!
  • Negatives
    • The most god-awful user interface I've ever had to deal with.  I can see this being an utter nightmare if you get more than 10 or digital games installed.
    • The digital store's search function is obnoxiously bad. 
    • Digital stores doesn't even work.  Sony is incapable of processing digital purchases.  I had to contact support (I never contact support) and they told me to buy a Sony Gift card on Amazon and load money that way to buy digital games.  WTF?  I want to spend money and they can't even take it.  And It was ANY form of payment.  I tried credit cards, debit cards and PayPal and it just choked.
    • Did I mention their store sucks?
    • If you have big hands, their controller is a bit dainty.
    • Did I mention their store sucks?

Nintendo Switch

• Pros
    • Portable
    • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Mario Odyssey
  • Negatives
    • Underpowered hardware, though Nintendo does their thing well with it.
    • Motion controller is gimicky
    • Switch controller joypad thingy is goofy
    • Pro controller is expensive as hell
Edited by Myr
added back compat to xbox pro list
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

I'm going to have to say PlayStation 4 does...

Xbox makes up for it a bit with backwards compatibility and X-enhanced games and giving away 4 free games a month... but... since Xbox is 3rd party games + Halo + Sea of Thieves + Gears of War... it just can't touch the variety you get on PS4... since you get all the 3rd party games Xbox has plus a slew of exclusives.

Switch is not even in the ballgame since they don't have much of 3rd party games or first party.  Though they do have some outstanding ones.

• Love 1
  • 3 months later...

As someone who also has all 3 consoles I really agree with your breakdown. Although, I have to say I'm disappointed with these next gen consoles.  They sold it as a 'skies the limit' kind of concept, but I can't say we've really seen many ground breaking games. The ones we have gotten seem to have just came out, and the launch day consoles struggle to handle them! My PS4 sounds like its about to combust whenever I play God of War or Spider-man!

My favorite of the bunch is easily my switch. It's not exactly a powerhouse, but it's quick and easy. Last winter break I would play Breath of the Wild until 3 am, go to bed, wake up and pick up right where I left off. My friends practically had to drag me out of the house! Plus portability and the fact the joycons could be 2 controllers made it so easy to play with friends. 

You can also buy a controller adapter on Amazon for about $25. It lets you use either a PS4 or Xbox one controller with the switch. Like you said the pro-controller's price is ridiculous, so I found this to be the best option. 

• Like 3