Should there be only "Gay" places?

Separate facilities for LGBT community  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be separate public establishment for LGBT members?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Something that has been circling my mind recently as I am dating and engaged, should there be places just for us? This not a political issue, but one that I think a lot of people of different backgrounds have had to deal with.

Personally, I am not in favor of separate facilities for people, nor am I in favor of practices segregating people like restaurants of putting gay couples away from eye view of other customers, which I am learning is more and more frequent than I thought even in Liberal Massachusetts. It's not direct homophobia, but it is no less prevalent or apparent than someone calling you F word in public. The worst thing is that no one is around to support you.

Is it nicer being around other people like you at LGBT friendly restaurant/cafe? Definitely, and you can definitely tell, when you are welcomed, especially with a guy in drag making jokes a few feet away.

After the food court episode, we've been more conservative and kept our tongues safely apart in restaurants and only kiss in parks with few people around or dark movie theaters. I don't know if it's just the vibe we give off or the body language or in my choices of restaurants, which have Zagat ratings and a few stars (Yes, I do eat well sue me :P ), but it's kind of isolating. Starbucks and movies are cool for smaller dates, but beyond that, all couples need to find a place to call their own.

And I doubt I am the only one with this problem, I remember this clip from "what would you do" that kind of highlights the problem, it's not as openly hostile but it's still kind of isolating

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

You mean like restaurants or cafes or clubs or stores that fly giant rainbow flags on top so you know it's an establishment that's basically owned by/for purchasing things gay-friendly/specifically welcoming people who are gay or gay-friendly and not somewhere you're going to experience homophobia unless some random asshat comes in and acts like a jerk because it's flying a giant gay flag and is a place that caters to those who are gay or gay friendly...? 

Yeah, those are fairly common here in the Pacific NW in the larger cities. Or, like the large community area(s) where the community tends to be very gay-centric Matt mentioned in his Do You Identify As Gay? topic. 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I have no problem with gay-friendly places. In some very limited circumstances, a gay-only place is okay, but generally I'm against the idea, just like I'm against white-only establishments or men-only establishments.

Women-only gyms are an example of an exception I'm happy with, and I'm sure there are others, but as a general principle, to have an X-only place requires a justification for excluding others that don't fit into that category.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Cia said:

You mean like restaurants or cafes or clubs or stores that fly giant rainbow flags on top so you know it's an establishment that's basically owned by/for purchasing things gay-friendly/specifically welcoming people who are gay or gay-friendly and not somewhere you're going to experience homophobia unless some random asshat comes in and acts like a jerk because it's flying a giant gay flag and is a place that caters to those who are gay or gay friendly...? 

Yeah, those are fairly common here in the Pacific NW in the larger cities. Or, like the large community area(s) where the community tends to be very gay-centric Matt mentioned in his Do You Identify As Gay? topic. 

They exist here in Boston as well, there's a breakfast brunch buffet place that I've been dying to try out, if I can ever get him to wake up early enough.

I'm not a big club guy, dancing is fun and all, but that never appealed to me.  I prefer spending time in a giant bookstore, museum, or flea markets. Restaurant wise, I like New American, Asian Fusion, Rustic Italian, and simple French cuisines.

@Puppilull Gay-Only establishment should be something from a bygone era, but we're still far from a "blended" society. Chain restaurants are okay as no one cares about you or who you are eating with, but higher end establishments are as "old fashioned" in mindset as they are in their traditional methods of cooking. Even shopping is kind of haphazard, I don't know why we went into Bloomingdale a few weeks ago (I joked with him that I thought they had gone out of business) but the mentality of the sale staff was kind of "off" seeing two guys walk in with interlocking arms. Now at Macy's, I've seen guys doing the same thing witho0ut an issue and I even got a discount card from a sales guy (obviously on our team) that I got a new pair of Nike.

Maybe as I am getting older, I am just noticing this stuff more.

• Like 2

Again, a straight female - but here is my two bits.

If there were white only restaurants there would be hell to pay.

When there were separate restrooms for blacks and whites, there was hell to pay.

If a restaurant turned gay couples away there would be hell to pay.

Guess what my opinion of a gay only restaurant would be.

Ever hear of reverse discrimination?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Sorry ladies but I don't ever want to run into any of you at a bathhouse or sex club. So there's an example of a place that should be for gay men only.

And as much as I would probably enjoy hanging out or maybe even going for a motorcycle ride with you, I like the fact my motorcycle club restricts membership to gay men. Whenever we have female guests at a gathering, the dynamics change and not always for the better.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Kitt said:

Private clubs and public forums are very different.

I agree. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to have a secluded spot or two. But I think we should consider which we are ok with. To let it go too far would easily open a door to pointing groups out as different and from there the step is all too short to different in a negative way. I'm not too crazy about all female gyms, though I can understand the demand. Or all female bath times, though in Sweden with lakes everywhere, it's important everyone learns to swim. Even those girls who aren't allowed to mingle with boys in swimwear. But we have fought so hard and come a long way. I don't want to lose that.

And @W_L, I guess I'm writing from a Swedish perspective, but I find it so difficult to imagine any high-end establishment here treat gay people badly. I know there are individuals who do, but generally I'd say they want that pink money. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Kitt said:

If there were white only restaurants there would be hell to pay.

When there were separate restrooms for blacks and whites, there was hell to pay.

Yeah, there's fallout from a situation in another country I'm watching very closely for that very reason. Disclusion is generally a bad thing, except excluding children from clearly adult-oriented activities. 

• Like 1

I refer back to my earlier post about Private Member Clubs. These Clubs can be anything, in fact, I know of a guy that is looking into a restaurant that will be a private member club for anyone 18 years old, and older. Or A/K/A, a restaurant that is Adults Only, no kids. For a $1.50 membership fee added to your bill, you too can dine without kids. Your membership lasts for the duration of one meal. I honestly don't know if he'll be successful at it, but it is an idea.

• Like 2

No because then I can’t technically come hang out ☹️ 

Also because I believe equality comes with not segregating yourself into use only groups. To be equal we must all coexist together and learn about each other. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The question is do you think there should be separate establishments for LGBT members. Well for me the answer to that is no.

But there is another question here also which is, is there a need for separate establishments for LGBT members. Due to discrimination and lack of acceptance the answer is yes.

What is really needed and I feel is wanted by many from the LGBT community is acceptance.

Sorry everyone now I'll get off my soap-box.

• Like 2

I think gay exclusive has its own important role to play. 

The idea that segregation and equality don't go together is wrong.

Being equal does not mean being the same. It means being treated the same.

People saying/writing that gays should not separate themselves every now and then because they want to be equal, really do not understand it.

Basically they are advocating to just be like the majority...... so get back in the f*cking closet and you will be equal!

Think about the message you are giving!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 8/16/2018 at 5:08 AM, Freerider said:

I think gay exclusive has its own important role to play. 

The idea that segregation and equality don't go together is wrong.

Being equal does not mean being the same. It means being treated the same.

People saying/writing that gays should not separate themselves every now and then because they want to be equal, really do not understand it.

Basically they are advocating to just be like the majority...... so get back in the f*cking closet and you will be equal!

Think about the message you are giving!

Exactly! 

• Like 3

The variety of responses to this shows how much of an emotive topic this can be. I based my response on living in world no and how it was in the past. From that perspective Gay only and Gay friendly establishments are wanted and needed, due to both feelings of comfort and belonging as well as feelings of discrimination. Yes there is some reverse discrimination mainly brought about by self preservation which is natural. The need and possibly the want will not go away until acceptance is total, but total acceptance is probably being idealistic and may never happen. It certainly won't in my lifetime. 

One thing that doesn't help is the straight people that go to gay clubs and bars and then complain and cause trouble because they don't like to see gay people showing affection. This is happening more and more in the UK, what the hell do they expect? If they don't like it then don't bloody go there.

My point of acceptance is idealistic and probably will never happen. That being the case, Gay only and Gay friendly will always be wanted and needed.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TetRefine said:

I can't think of anything that was once gay that got better when it became more "mixed". I'll use my once-favorite club here as an example. When I first started going in college, it was almost entirely gay and the best place to drink, dance, cruise, and hang out. Starting about a year and a half ago, more and more straight women started to show up because they realized gay clubs are just better and there are no straight men to bother them. The atmosphere slowly began to change as more and more women invaded the space. When things really started to go downhill was when the straight men began showing up with their girlfriends. Suddenly there were more fights, more sloppy behavior, and a much more "I'm insecure so I have to act super macho" attitude that has completely ruined the place. In the space of a year and a half, it went from the most popular gay club in the city to one where very few go anymore.

The same thing happened to a Gay Club here in Ybor City called Tracks. Best club in Ybor at the time was exclusively gay... then the straights came in. It shut down, within a year of the gays leaving it. Never got to go, but oh so wanted too, growing up. Even now, other gay clubs in Ybor City has a lot of Straights going to it. Hamburger Mary's is one that comes to mind with the drag shows.

• Like 1