My Browser is showing me the mobile version. How do I change it back?

Go to solution Solved by drpaladin,

Clearly, I must have accidentally done something, but now I can't get back to the full version. Updating and editing stories like this is extremely annoying. How can I change it back? I've been all over the site and can't find any options or information about it.

• Site Administrator

That's because it's not a site issue on our end, it's a browser issue on your end. Usually you just click on the browser settings/options button and use the "view desktop site" option. With Edge, that link is found through the menu found in the settings. Just click on the browser menu in the three dots in the lower right corner. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Log out of the site, clear your cache and cookies, reboot, and try again.

If you have an extension on your browser which allows you to switch user agents, you should check to see that it is set to default and not some mobile version.

The way a website displays on your end is determined by the user agent string provided by your browser.

Edited by drpaladin
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Log out of the site, clear your cache and cookies, reboot, and try again.

If you have an extension on your browser which allows you to switch user agents, you should check to see that it is set to default and not some mobile version.

The way a website displays on your end is determined by the user agent string provided by your browser.

Sadly did not work. I have switched browsers instead. It's a shame, but it's the only solution I could find. 

• Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Sadly did not work. I have switched browsers instead. It's a shame, but it's the only solution I could find. 

What browser are you using? I'll give you a link that will display the user agent string your browser is sending. Hang on a bit.

• Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I was using Firefox.

There is a user agent switcher for firefox that would allow you to manually select whatever UA you wanted to use. It sounds like your UA got corrupted somehow. I believe with firefox creating a new user profile should solve it.

Here's the link that'll display what your browser is sending.

https://www.whoishostingthis.com/tools/user-agent/

Edited by drpaladin
9 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

There is a user agent switcher for firefox that would allow you to manually select whatever UA you wanted to use. It sounds like yours got corrupted somehow. I believe with firefox creating a new user profile should solve it.

Here's the link that'll display what your browser is sending.

https://www.whoishostingthis.com/tools/user-agent/

I don't quite understand what I'm looking at, clicking that link, tbh. Nor can I figure out how I can create a new user profile.

• Site Moderator
  • Solution
11 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I don't quite understand what I'm looking at, clicking that link, tbh. Nor can I figure out how I can create a new user profile.

Copy and paste what it says your user agent is.

This explains how to create a new profile.

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Firefox-Profile

You won't lose your old one. This will just be an additional profile. The other option would be to remove firefox and download it from scratch, but you lose your bookmarks etc.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Copy and paste what it says your user agent is.

This explains how to create a new profile.

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Firefox-Profile

You won't lose your old one. This will just be an additional profile. The other option would be to remove firefox and download it from scratch, but you lose your bookmarks etc.

All right, that worked. Of course, now I have to sign in to everything and try to remember all my passwords again... :P Thanks for the help!

Soooo, I just went over my settings one last time in the old profile and discovered something... Apparently, I accidentally zoomed, and that set the site to mobile version. When I clicked reset zoom, on a whim, it restored to the proper one. I feel like an idiot now. 😂

• Haha 1
  • Site Administrator
On 9/12/2018 at 7:40 PM, Thorn Wilde said:

Soooo, I just went over my settings one last time in the old profile and discovered something... Apparently, I accidentally zoomed, and that set the site to mobile version. When I clicked reset zoom, on a whim, it restored to the proper one. I feel like an idiot now. 😂

Don't worry, Friday I had black screens and reboots weren't doing anything, I had power to both displays, on the next reboot tried to go into disk repair and that still didn't help, was about to take the tower into repair shop and had an idea...checked the HDMI cable on the back of my main monitor (I use two monitors), and alas, it was a bit out. Pushed it in and everything was back to normal :gikkle:

At least I wouldn't be the guy that the IT guy said "Did you check the power cord to be sure it was plugged in?" 0:)

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, wildone said:

Don't worry, Friday I had black screens and reboots weren't doing anything, I had power to both displays, on the next reboot tried to go into disk repair and that still didn't help, was about to take the tower into repair shop and had an idea...checked the HDMI cable on the back of my main monitor (I use two monitors), and alas, it was a bit out. Pushed it in and everything was back to normal :gikkle:

At least I wouldn't be the guy that the IT guy said "Did you check the power cord to be sure it was plugged in?" 0:)

When I got my gaming PC (from a wonderful website where you pick all your parts and then send it to you) I couldn't get a signal to my monitor. I'd switch the monitor and the PC on, and the monitor would be all "no source". I actually got a guy from their tech support to come to my place to have a look. Turned out the monitor was just set to the wrong input. So, he helped me install Windows since he was there anyway (could have done that myself without problem, but it's nice to have someone to input the product key while you're reading it out, so...), and it turned out he knew my cousin. Small world. :P 

• Like 1