October 10th

Y7r1LCF.jpg

It's that time again...

For all of you guys who have been around for any length of time...you know that October 10th is a very special date for me, personally. And I've gone out of my way to make it a holiday here n the Shack.

It happened many years ago, but I'd be lying if I said that the wound doesn't still feel fresh when I dwell on it for too long. I lost a good friend to suicide that day. He was only 17 years old...and it's still difficult for me to understand why he felt so desperate, so alone. That pain will never go away.

But...over time, I've come to realize that he had a life worth celebrating, instead of a death worth mourning. I made a promise to reach out to help as many people as I possibly could after losing him. I'm keeping my promise. And I plan to honor him every year for the rest of my life. Because people need to know. They need to feel loved, respected, and appreciated. Every year, I take this day and I remind the world that it costs us NOTHING to reach out and help somebody in need. Talk to someone who needs a friend. Give a compliment once in a while. Lend a friendly ear or give someone a shoulder to lean on. There are so many people who hide behind their keyboards and spread venom and hatred for no reason and with no purpose at all. But...ask them to tell the people they love and respect how they feel...and sudden'y they don't have the time, or the energy, or the courage, to SAY something.

That's so backwards. And it makes the world a colder place. It doesn't have to be that way.

So...even if you only do it ONE day a year, pick today, and spread a little love to the people you care about. K? On October 10th, you've got the permission and the encouragement to do something positive. Smile at a stranger, call an old friend, reconnect with your parents, give that loose change in your pocket to that homeless guy on the corner. It doesn't have to be something monumental. It just has to be real.

We always assume people know how we feel about them, and that they'll be just fine without us having to 'weaken' ourselves enough to speak the words out loud. Well...that's not always true. Not for you. Not for anybody.

Don't let the people in your life feel alone or underappreciated. You never know what they're going through. And God help you if one day...it's too late to say what you needed to say.

((Hugz)) I love you all. And share some of your light with others this week. K? Trust me, you've got plenty to spare.

• Love 3

I'm so sorry for your loss, Comsie.  :hug: I've asked Mickey and his friends to be more respectful of each other, without the usual "banter" and put-downs. And to always tell an adult if they notice one of their buddies acting "off" or behaving weird. I know that they care for each other very much, and they'd be heartbroken if something happened to one of their group. We recently lost someone on GA, and I don't care to go through that pain again.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..