MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #3

Sometimes it hits an author without warning. Sometimes when we really want to just get past it. Occassionally during the only times when we get the opportunity to work on our stories. And it SUCKS! It's the dreaded disease known as 'writer's block', and it can truly be a HUGE pain in the ass!!!

The question for this week is, do you guys experience writer's block, and if so, how do you get past it?

Do you look for movies/music/other stories to get inspired? Do you struggle your way through it? Or do you just wait until it passes you by and you can work again? Do you experience it often, or just every once in a while? Has it ever stopped you completely from writing something that you truly believed in? Writer's Block can be a hard thing to deal with, and sometimes it can be downright depressing, not to mention frustrating! So let me know your thoughts on the problem, and maybe it will help out others in your position! The board is open! :)

• Site Administrator

Yup... I get it. I usually switch to writing a different story.

When I get it across everything... I stop trying to write for awhile and go on a reading binge. After reading tons, I can usually write again.

i HATE writers block, and have had it for almost 2 years with a story im trying verry badly to get the next chapter out on, i have 2 chapters out so far and am being constantly asked where the 3rd is

i have some other smaller projects im working on, and i do get stummped on those some times as well but not as badly as my main story, and it drives me nuts

cranking musick some times helps, or just laying in the dark, or even reading other storys help some times.

Hey Comsie!

I got your email and thought I'd do what you said and come check out your board. Great stuff, great site and as usual, great stories as well.

As far as writer's block. It does happen but what I usually do is listen to a song that would set the theme of what I'm trying to achieve. Certain songs evoke certain emotions from me and it sometimes helps. I'll also switch to writing a different story, different genre, get that out of my system and find I come up with a bit more inspiration for my main story.

It doesn't happen too often but when it does it can be a real pain. Besides the above, I'll usually just go out, watch a movie, go to the beach, play some sports or something, just generally get out and find that recharges and inspires pretty well. So yeah those are my thoughts on writer's block. Great topic, bud, from one old timer to another, five years and counting for both of us now right? Good on ya bud,

-- SFwriter aka Ty

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess we all get "it" from time to time. I've tried many different things, but I think Ty hit the nail on the head. Music. I have a few favorite CDs that always pull the emotional side of me, if you will, to the forefront and at the same time, pushes the analytical side of thinking to the background. I kick back and listen to some music and clear my head. Then I come back and read what I've already written. I back up sometimes as many at 30 pages and read. That usually puts me back on course, back in touch with the characters and back in touch with the plot. You know the old saying ... you can't see the forest for the trees ... so by reading what you've already written, you're looking at the whole forest. Once you've done that, seeing the next tree along the path is easy.

Jevic

Guest Bloody_Alguien

I hate writer's block, I had it a couple of months ago and I was writing for a constest, I got "it" and i miss the deadline, arrr, it passed the day after the deadline, weird, isn't it? :wacko: :blink:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..