Jump to content

Traditional Swedish semla!

As promised, here is a pic of hubby's baking adventure last night! They turned out very tasty. 

 

It's a bun made form a sweet, wheat dough with cardamom, filled with whipped cream and almond paste (a bit like marzipan). And of course powder suger on top!

  • Like 5
  • Love 6

From the album:

Misc

  • 4 images
  • 0 comments
  • 37 image comments

Photo Information for Traditional Swedish semla!

Taken with samsung SM-G930F

  • 4.2 mm
  • 1/25
  • f f/1.7
  • ISO 200
View all photo EXIF information

Recommended Comments

3 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

OOOGH! I love these...

 

I've never seen them anywhere than in Sweden. Glad you've had the chance to taste them.

    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

They look delicious :)  I'll have to see if anywhere local makes them :) 

    • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 minutes ago, northie said:

A mail-order service would be good .... ;)

 

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

They look delicious :)  I'll have to see if anywhere local makes them :) 

 

I'm thinking IKEA would have them. But perhaps you live too far from any store?

    • Like 2
    • Haha 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, Puppilull said:

 

 

I'm thinking IKEA would have them. But perhaps you live too far from any store?

:yes: I'm pretty sure the nearest IKEA is in Toronto, but I'd have to look.  There's rumors of one coming to a city about an hour away from me, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.  We have a lot of bakeries, but mostly Italian and Polish.  Not sure about Swedish.  

    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

:yes: I'm pretty sure the nearest IKEA is in Toronto, but I'd have to look.  There's rumors of one coming to a city about an hour away from me, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.  We have a lot of bakeries, but mostly Italian and Polish.  Not sure about Swedish.  

 

They are quite simple to make, so you could try yourself.

    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

 

I've never seen them anywhere than in Sweden. Glad you've had the chance to taste them.

Ones I've made for myself - Food and Wine magazine had a recipe years ago. Became a fave after that.

    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

 

 

I'm thinking IKEA would have them. But perhaps you live too far from any store?

I haven't seen them at our local Ikeas...

    • Sad 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Puppilull said:

 

I've never seen them anywhere than in Sweden. Glad you've had the chance to taste them.

You can find them in quite a few countries.

    • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

 

That's pretty much how I do them, only we use a different sort of yeast. And we only eat them on one Tuesday traditionally, Fat Tuesday (although we do cheat on that rule...). 

 

40 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

You can find them in quite a few countries.

 

Really? Where? Would be fun to compare recipes!

    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

 

That's pretty much how I do them, only we use a different sort of yeast. And we only eat them on one Tuesday traditionally, Fat Tuesday (although we do cheat on that rule...). 

 

 

Really? Where? Would be fun to compare recipes!

Finland, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania

    • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Puppilull said:

 

That's pretty much how I do them, only we use a different sort of yeast. And we only eat them on one Tuesday traditionally, Fat Tuesday (although we do cheat on that rule...). 

 

 

Really? Where? Would be fun to compare recipes!

wet yeast?

    • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
30 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Finland, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania

 

Considering our past, it would be hard to say who brought the semlas to whom. ;) But I'll never consider a bun filled with jam as a semla. Not a fried bun either. Porbably tasty, but no semla. LOL 

    • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Puppilull said:

 

 

I'm thinking IKEA would have them. But perhaps you live too far from any store?

It looks delicious, and lucky me, there’s an Ikea close by .... :) 

 

Oh, and Ikea is everywhere it seems. 

Edited by Reader1810
    • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Puppilull said:

 

Considering our past, it would be hard to say who brought the semlas to whom. ;) But I'll never consider a bun filled with jam as a semla. Not a fried bun either. Porbably tasty, but no semla. LOL 

LOL  Well, they aren't called semla in those other countries. So semla is only semla in Sweden.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Thank you, Puppi! These are sinfully wonderful. And thank you @AC Benus for the recipe! If I get courageous enough to try making them myself, I shall know where to go.

    • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..