Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,121 Words
  • 5,206 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Of Prophets, Saints and Sinners - 1. Chapter 1: Foisted Upon

...lol, this story has nothing to do with the Church of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons), in case you were wondering... ;) 
 

 

 

Of Prophets,

Saints and Sinners

Christmas at Famous-Barr 1880

 

7f2f3c409cf5faf1c18ac851ba503a1b.jpg

 

A Novella

By

AC Benus

 


 

Contents

 

 

Chapter 1: Foisted Upon

 

Chapter 2: House of Refuge

 

Chapter 3: In the Middle

 

Chapter 4: Dust-up Boys

 

Chapter 5: Into the Fray

 

Chapter 6: A Flour-Sack Kiss and the Grand Opening

 

Chapter 7: "All Very Operatic"

 

Chapter 8: collige puer rosas

 

Chapter 9: Sinners All

 

Chapter 10: Some Secondhand Tennyson

 

Chapter 11: Trapped in History

 

Chapter 12: The Beau of the Ball

 

Chapter 13: Meeting the Saint

 

 

Cover Art: Barr's 1882 advertising card announcing the third year they'd have a department store Santa Claus to visit.

 


 

Chapter 1: Foisted Upon

 

A possibly grander venue could not have existed for a holiday concert, charity or otherwise.

As the initial fanfare of brass and timpani soared, Jacob Jordan glanced up. The trading floor of the Merchants' Exchange was the largest unobstructed space in North America. It featured perfect acoustics, had been the site of national party conventions, and for tonight – Christmas Eve, 1880 – it was bedecked in fragrant swags of evergreen garland. Provided with sixty-two massive windows, each one now sported a wreath with a candle flickering a shadowy, magical reflection on the glass. Precious electric bulbs hung around the perimeter and utilized delicate glass diffusers to cast a warm glow down onto the floor.[1]

The Santa Claus Symphony settled into a slower, more contemplative movement, and Jordan used it as opportunity to relax himself and look around the hall. His fellow audience members were mostly bright-eyed and attentive children, plus a gaggle of rowdier chaperones from various church and civic groups.

This event was the culmination of weeks of stress and planning, but Mr. Barr and he had not only planned this performance, but a luscious surprise for later. The notion made the sixty-three-year-old Jordan as giddy as every one of these children would be, later on this night as they climbed into bed to await Saint Nick. He chuckled internally at the aptness of the analogy.

For now he leaned back and allowed the slow movement to seep in. Maestro Fry's tone poem had been an American holiday tradition at least since his daughter was young, and it felt good to both venerate and renew a longstanding custom. Many in the young audience tonight would remember this as their 'first,' and such a notion filled Jordan with a justifiable sense of pride.[2]

He held up his program, raking it slightly to the light.

The work opens in the celestial spheres of Heaven. The bands of angels and seraphim rejoice with glad tidings to announce the arrival of the Christ child on earth.

As he lowered his printed guide, the beauty of the setting overtook him all over again. At one narrow end of the massive hall, a stage with three tiers had been set up. The uppermost, and smallest, supported a twenty-foot-tall Christmas tree. Small tapers lit the end of every branch, and children had made colorful paper chains and hearts for the decorations. The store had also provided glass ornaments in the shapes of grapes, pears and oranges from clever glassblowers along the New Jersey and Pennsylvania border.[3]

On the second tier patiently stood nearly seventy-five children, waiting their moment to perform in various parts of the symphony.

The lowest tier was also the largest, and seated about a hundred twenty musicians.

But Jordan's eyes skipped over them and returned to the children, where his lingering look settled on Mina. He instantly became the gloating grandfather. She had pride of place in the front, and looked every bit an angel in her white choir robes. Her long blonde hair was tied simply in the back.

All the little girls and boys looked angelic. They were indeed a wholesome sight to behold, and it caused Jordan to indulge in a moment of reflection.

Children in this modern age were caught in a slowly changing world. One part – the traditional part – still regarded childhood itself as a precarious time; and they looked upon children as unpredictable and needing of relentless discipline. The other current, a faster moving one, regarded children as pure and innocent. The first school of thought demanded productivity and usefulness, while the second only wished for kids to run and play.

Jordan was not proud of the fact that he had been a rather remote father to Mina's mother, but he was gratified in the extreme to see Emily allowed Mina a great deal more freedom than she ever had growing up.

Tradition and change, they worked together and at odds on various occasions, and rarely, with occasionally perfect harmony.

Such was the case with the 'the boys,' whom he had unwittingly helped a couple of months ago, but he was glad in his heart to know they were in a better place.

Jacob Jordan contemplated how this night came about in the first place.

'It was heady to say the least,' he thought. 'But I suppose it all started when Mr. Barr foisted that reporter fellow onto me….'

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Monk McDonough's hand had a way of massaging his dark beard whenever he was deep in concentration. That is what it was doing now.

The early morning bustle of Fourth Street – the commercial heart of the city – came through the large front window of Landon's Café, but Monk ignored it. Instead his hearing's acumen was trained on a pair of adolescent schoolgirls seated across the way, and easily excluded the chatter coming from all of the many other coffee-takers.

To heighten his incognito spying, his morning Globe-Democrat was splayed flat across the marble-top table, next to his coffee and toast, and he stood leaning over the newspaper to pretend a better engrossment in it.

"OH, Jennie! He was on the omnibus again this morning," the blonder and prettier of the two relayed to her companion.

"Oh." Jennie feigned disinterest. "Mr. Fine Black Ulsterette…?"

"Indeed. The very same one."

"You're a perfect little fool, Kate Rodgers. A handsome young man – "

"Draws your attention just as swiftly as mine, Jennie Browne."

The girls glanced around, and Monk sat. Inspired, he immediately extracted his notebook and pencil and started to write.

 

Dear readers, a fresh concept has entered my head. Come with me as we begin a survey of the Belles and Beaux of Saint Louis. These young women and men come from the well-off pools of our citizenry, and whose current concerns revolve mainly around preparation for the start of The Season, and who the Veiled Prophet will choose as his consort and attendants.

Starting with the Belles, we must first consider those teetering on the cusp. Perhaps this will be their coming out year, but in any event, they must remain the rich, vapid, pretty and haughty 'Schoolgirls' of a type to us.

 

Kate pulled up a bag and extracted a book, which went rattling dishes as she slammed it with miffed indignation on the table.

"Oh, Jennie – for heaven's sake – let me see your notes on this horrid History assignment."

"And if I do not…?"

"If you don’t, I shan't speak to you ever, ever again!" Kate's little arms folded; an evil smirk appeared with a head-toss.

"Do not, dear friend…" Jennie broke into a smile "…make promises you have not the will to keep."

"I see History isn't the only perfectly horrid thing this morning."

"Don’t panic. It's so unbecoming." Jennie pulled out her notebook, turned to a page and handed it over to a grateful Kate. The blonde one sat back and read.

As he wrote, Monk realized the school year had only reconvened about a week ago, so the girls exhibited an intriguing lack of interest and malaise about their studies early on.

 

Now, do not, dear reader, let the moniker of Schoolgirl fool you into thinking education has much presence of mind for these Belle-ish young ladies. Always 'sweet sixteen,' and attired in handsomely tailored uniforms of the very trendiest styles from Barr's or Crawford's, she ornaments that forced plainness with fluttering ribbons, and gold bangles to state her status. Whatever the latest vagaries of fashions, you can be sure this young female Socrates will have it strapped, pinned or belted to her uniform.

As for the wisdom of the sages, which is supposed to be taking root in her cranium, it apparently finds but poor soil there. The seedlings of knowledge encounter a ready stream of other concerns to dislodge them. Thoughts of Julius Caesar, Andrew Jackson, or an old Greek like Euclid are vacated at regular intervals for gossip concerning 'Missy,' 'Janet,' or 'Penelope.'

 

Still reading notes, Kate heaved a page-flip with a sigh. "Oh, Jennie. I don’t see the point."

"The point of what?"

"Filling our heads," she relayed in a singsong manner. "Dry; dry; dry! Dates – births, deaths; wars started, wars ended; councils convened, councils failed; monarchies deposed; presidents elected – ugh!"

"Well, it may be useful down the line."

"Down the line. Listen to you, Jennie Browne, siding with the geezers."

"Well!"

The notebook came slamming down on top of the book; Monk dared a glance.

"It's not for I, Jennie. This needless foppery over old duffers who are dead and gone, and whom not a soul truly cares about anymore. They might as well be dust, for as much as they live on in our memory."

"Well, I do not mind History as much as you, but I see your point concerning Algebra. I don’t discern any sense to it, and always get my brother Tom to do mine for me. He doesn't mind."

 

As for their emotional life, dear reader, do not be misled into thinking it's reserved for silver rings and golden ear bobs. No, it includes some of Saint Louis' other typesthe rich boys and sons of the elite, the ones who come in varieties just as diverse as the Belles, and whom we shall call the 'Beaux.'

 

Now Monk spotted a table with a pair of wealthy young men, impeccability dressed. One sat cross-legged, a saucer and cup in his hands, over the brim of which he ruthlessly used his considerable good looks to ogle Kate Rodgers.

He saw the girl was not immune to his charms. She sweetly retrieved her book and pretended to return to her 'studies.'

"See that dandie fellow over there, Jennie?"

"Yes."

"He tries to flirt with me every morning, but I've decided to pay him no nevermind."

"He's the son of Winston Williams, a board member of The Mercantile Bank."

"Oh. Well – "

"Well, one must wait for a proper introduction. It's only 'quite right,' I'm sure."

Kate suddenly became enamored with the little gold tassels dangling from the bottom of Jennie's brooch. She reached out and cupped it from behind. "OH, Jennie! It's divine; it's perfect LOVE!"

 

Just sixteen, dear readers, so off-limits for the most part, unless you happen to be one of the apathetic, unmarried rich below the age of thirty. These 'Dawdy Dandies'—the pretty boys of Saint Louis—draw Schoolgirl attention as naturally as moth to a flame. With these boys in their sights, they are counting down the minutes to their coming out ball.

As for the object of these girls' enamoration, a chary bit of caution should be imparted to them from older and wiser souls, such as mine.

Dawdy Dandies are, quite frankly—if you are listening, girls—useless outgrowths of our modern social conditions. He may be seen in groups and companies any fine afternoon in the most fashionable cafés and restaurants of our fair city. Here he regales the innocence of girlhood, and the intent interest of Bellehood, with ogling most blatant. While doing so, his usual employment consists of picking his teeth with a fine gold bauble suspended around his pasty neck for such occasions, and proclaiming to the lesser classes that, yes, he has indeed just partaken of a particularly delectable meal.

Rich and shiftless, you shall know him of an evening promenading the city streets by his extreme attire. Pants of the greatest latitude flap indolently as he ambles along, while his white collar and cuffs are so prodigious, one wonders if a shrewd laundress charges him by the square yard. An eyeglass dangles upon his vest-front, when it is not daintily poised on the end of his nose by one hand. The other set of digits carries a delicate little cane, with which in moments of leisure—and they are numerous—he gently taps his boot as he leans against some convenient pillar or post.

From such a position, a passing young woman may or may not perceive by his killing glances and graceful poses, that his only object is to 'mash' frail female hearts.

 

Monk glanced up from his notebook and saw Kate Rodgers returning his stare in a most intense and intrigued manner. The girls with their books, and the young men with their coffee and pastry, may not have been the only ones under close scrutiny.

Monk drew up his pencil and jotted down a conclusion for his premier "Belles and Beaux" entry.

 

So, dear reader, we have seen our first 'types,' and they perhaps have seen us as well.

The lines of the immortal Robbie Burns come to mind:

 

Ant to the sweet,

and fly to the sour.

 

Each a path to desire beat,

led under persuasion's power. [4]

 

In Monk's mind he admitted an attraction to the girl, but got hit by a pang of guilt. His thoughts slackened and took him drifting back to booming sounds, faint clouds of gun smoke, the feel of hundreds of people running on the steers; that horrible night in July three years ago.

The sound of a chair being pulled out opposite him stirred Monk to look up pettishly from his writing.

A distinguished older gentleman sat himself down, folded hands upon his knees and stared. He had gray hair, was clean-shaven, and wore oddly old-fashioned, pre-war clothes, which however were immaculate.

"Mr. Monk McDonough?"

"Yes."

"The Globe-Democrat's 'newspaper color man,' covering everything from – "

"Hangings to society engagements; from the Woman's Hospital of Social Diseases to the Veiled Prophet Ball. And you are, sir?"

"Jacob Jordan, from William P. Barr and Company."

"Oh." Monk felt an instant wave of hostility. His editor had told him in passing yesterday that someone from the store would be wanting to talk to him; Monk was not too keen on commercial advertising for free in the Globe. "Ah, yes. I was expecting to see you this morning. What exactly is it you think I should be writing about, sir? A new linen sale; a special shipment of crystal from France?" There was no hiding the dismissive sarcasm from his tone.

"What is it you know about Barr's, Mr. Monk?"

"Well, I know the assignment has to do with your impending move from one building to another."

"William Barr was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1827. At the age of thirteen he crossed the Atlantic alone and landed in New York. In less than a year he was working for the retail house of Ubsdell, Pierson and Company, and only eight years after that was a full partner. That's when they sent him west to manage their Saint Louis branch. In another eight years, he had bought out the New York interests, and Barr's was firmly the largest retailer in the West. With our 'impending move,' as you so call it, we are poised to surpass Wannamaker's in Philadelphia."

During the relay of information, Monk had unconsciously flipped a page on his pad and began taking notes. He glanced up when he realized Mr. Jordan had stopped speaking.

The older gentleman's eyes twinkled as he leaned forward and lowered his voice. "Is that not an interesting tale? A self-made man, an Horatio Alger type figure, landed on these shores with nothing and no one to rely upon except himself, and now he's a multi-millionaire, at the top of a highly competitive industry?"

"Tell me more about this new place to which your firm is moving."

"I suppose the Julia Building is well-known in this city. A massive structure, five levels of usable floor space, covering half an entire city block. When it was completed in 1869, it was the world's largest commercial structure."

"I thought it was full of lawyers."

"And AT&T; it was. But Barr's has leased the entire structure and the gentlemen of The Bar, and men of the telephone wire, have been handsomely compensated by my boss for the trouble of finding new digs."

"How much of it are you taking?"

"All of it."

"But that must be approaching – "

"Five acres of showroom floor."

"Yes…." He jotted it down.

"Perhaps that is why, Mr. Monk, you are covering this story. Barr's will, in a matter of weeks, become the world's largest and most profitable retailer."

"Yes, I see." He scribbled, his hand massaging his beard. "I will have to tour the site."

"Before it's outfitted fully?"

"Indeed. I'm nothing if not a 'process' man." McDonough felt his eyebrows lift, and a wry grin blossom as he lifted his eyes to the older gentleman.

Jordan rose to his feet, scraping his chair loudly again. "Fair enough. Let's reconvene at the store – our current one – tomorrow morning so I can show you how we operate. Good day."

"Good day to you."

Jordan strolled through the café and made his way out to the bustle of Fourth Street.

In his scanning motion, the reporter caught the blonde girl batting an eyelash at him.

'Watch it, Monk,' he warned himself. 'No more women. They'll only do you in again.'

                  

 

        

 
 

         

 

[1] The Merchants' Exchange. First organized in 1836, it is the oldest extent stock and commodity market in the United States. Their 'new' building was completed in 1874

[2] The Santa Claus Symphony, by William Henry Fry, premiered in New York, 1853, and was performed in America for at least fifty holiday seasons in a row; it was considered an indispensable tradition, much as the Nutcracker is now. The program notes Jordan references are based on those Fry wrote for the first performance. See here

[3] The trading floor of the Exchange

[4] The Belles and Beaux sections are after A Tour of Saint Louis, or the Inside Life of a Great City, 1878, ps.440-444

Thanks to skinnydragon for editing, and offering ever-sound guidance and patience with me and my work. All mistakes herein are mine.
Special bedankt to J.HunterDunn for his assistance with the Dutch.
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So, we go back to the beginning, where there is no Famous-Barr but only Barr and the new store they are going to inhabit. Interesting how the behavior of school girls and oogling boys have not changed in 100+ years. :lol:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/08/2016 06:12 AM, Timothy M. said:

So, we go back to the beginning, where there is no Famous-Barr but only Barr and the new store they are going to inhabit. Interesting how the behavior of school girls and oogling boys have not changed in 100+ years. :lol:

Thanks, Tim. Famous is around – it's a ten-year-old upstart, and at one point we get to see how far they've come since 1870.

 

Thank you for reading, and buckle up. This novella is a bit on the epic side ;) I wanted to end the series on a bang.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

And now we see a snapshot of Barr's, not Famous. This is truly a leap back for me. The research must have done astounds. But the excellent characterizations, and the descriptions, and the snippets of 'found writing' that are your hallmarks, these are familiar. Needless to say, I am waiting delightedly for more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 03:23 AM, Parker Owens said:

And now we see a snapshot of Barr's, not Famous. This is truly a leap back for me. The research must have done astounds. But the excellent characterizations, and the descriptions, and the snippets of 'found writing' that are your hallmarks, these are familiar. Needless to say, I am waiting delightedly for more.

I would not have been able to write this without access to "Tour of Saint Louis" from 1877. It helped also to read the Globe-Democrat issues surrounding this time period (from September to December 1880). These sources not only put me in touch with the issues of the time, but also how people thought about them.

 

Thanks for your wonderful review, Parker. I appreciate it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/09/2016 03:14 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh ... I love a good roller coaster. So this is the beginning. ...will there be food?

Hehe, Tim. There will be food (think 'There will be blood' lol). Monk likes to eat, but I think he's in for some interruptions coming down the line.

 

Thanks for your review :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

There's always this wonderful thing that happens. Almost immediately there's a connection and I'm drawn in. So, 1880. Looking forward to the FB beginning.

 

It was interesting to read about the Santa Claus Symphony.. Except maybe for a few additions or short runs, the seasonal holiday shows are the same every year. I never gave thought to what came before or now who will break a new mold.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/13/2016 01:34 PM, Defiance19 said:

There's always this wonderful thing that happens. Almost immediately there's a connection and I'm drawn in. So, 1880. Looking forward to the FB beginning.

 

It was interesting to read about the Santa Claus Symphony.. Except maybe for a few additions or short runs, the seasonal holiday shows are the same every year. I never gave thought to what came before or now who will break a new mold.

Thanks, Def! I mention somewhere the Fry's Santa Claus Symphony was akin back then to the Nutcracker for us now. As I think about it, it may have been the Nutcracker that replaced the tone poem as part of how Americans celebrate Christmas. The timing is right at least. I don't even think a full recording of it was made until the 1990s, and then by a British orchestra. The piece deserves a revival :)

 

Thank you for your kind support. It means a lot to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2017 12:48 AM, Dennis191 said:

Well...What do I say? It`s on my reading list now. I just love your descriptions. :) Great job so far, will read chapter two tonight, and hopefully be able to provide some useful feedback.

Wow, thanks for picking this up and giving it a chance. I hope you find this start intriguing enough to want to continue, but if not let me know, and I might point you to some of my other, less specific :) things.

 

Thanks again for a great review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..