Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,423 Words
  • 822 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Of Prophets, Saints and Sinners - 8. Chapter 8: collige puer rosas

Chapter 8: collige puer rosas

 

The sounds of children at play would not be held prisoner. The field within the walled compound of the House of Refuge was trod by boys running a ball around, and girls skipping rope. Warders stood guard in the corners and kept an eye out for the older lads, who preferred to sit in hushed conference, stooped on the grass with backs pressed against the stone walls.

The sweet smell of autumn roses shared the courtyard with the gurgling fountain. Aloof from the others, and as if sailor chummies exercising on the gun deck of a warship, Felix Yeager and Hampden Cox walked arm in arm around the paved area in hushed conversation. Light and freshness surrounded the pair of boys, but they were troubled and dark inside with anxiety.

One guard watched them intently, smoking, with a foot atop the step to the Superintendent's house. Every time Felix's eye fell on him, a smirk would rise and the man's hand adjusted himself.

As the adolescents rounded the corner of the court and began to come back along the other side, Hampden caught the guard's lewd gesture too. Felix watched Hampy make a threatening grimace to the man, who only gripped himself harder, and in a more open way.

Just as Felix was about to tell the younger hothead to watch it, a flash of reflected sunlight caught their attention. It was the door from the girls' school wing opening with Miss Waverly behind it.

She shielded her eyes from the sun for a moment and then strolled to them. The boys stopped walking as she came up behind them, but she invited them wordlessly to continue ambulating in front of her by slipping her arms loosely in theirs.

"It's a lovely day!" she called merrily as they sailed past the guard, who was now on his best behavior. "There's a sweet smell in the air. It's glorious, boys."

They continued on for a few paces before Hampden boldly replied, "The flowers may smell nice, but we can't really be free to appreciate them, miss."

She drew her arms tighter, bringing the boys' ears closer to her mouth. In a falsely conversational tone she told them, "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, young men. You might not have a chance to collect them in this place for very much longer."

Felix and Hampden leaned forward to take a look at one another; did they dare to hope?

They strolled on, the boys too nervous to ask for outright details. Waverly picked up on their reticence, again turning chatty to remain in ear-shot of the observing warder. "How goes the book I lent you, Mr. Yeager."

"Um, fine."

"Excellent. Would you like to hear about a certain novel I'm reading at the moment?" Her nodding head and raised eyebrows advised the boys to say yes.

"Yes, miss," chirped Hampden.

"Well, it's about a handsome, brave writer asked to help a pair of wrongly accused young 'knights' free themselves from an unjust situation."

"And he's decided to help them, in the book?"

Waverly glowed. "He has."

The boys squeezed each other's hand.

"However," the teacher warned, "he doesn't know if his attempts will prove successful. Parts of his plan are out of his control, but he is trying."

The boys stopped walking. Miss Waverly led them along by the arms, eyed the guard with a nod and a slight grin.

She said in a conversational tone, "If I had to guess what's coming next in this book, I'd say he – this bearded writer, this be-whiskered bard – is a 'character' I may not have liked very much in the beginning, but slowly, I'm now willing to say I respect him more and more. And most importantly, I trust him; I'm learning he has a depth of character unusually bold for a man of this age. In short, my young pupils, the two young knights in this tale have fallen on a lucky stroke to ask the right man for help. He's trying to pave the way and make sure his plan can work."

"And," inquired Hampden, "in this book, is there also a woman? Say a younger woman assisting these two misfortunate people as well?"

"There is indeed."

"And," asked Felix, "she's promised to do all she can as well?"

"She is confirmed and absolute in her resolve."

Hampy chuckled. "Sounds like a woman I know."

Was that a slight blush Felix saw on Miss Waverly's face…?

"Anyway," continued the woman, "she has her part to play too in securing the necessary items the young men will need if the plan goes into effect."

The boys were silent.

After a few more paces, Waverly added, "She's working on it, and has enlisted the help of a generous man."

There was silence again.

"As for the brave and resourceful writer in my tale, he has one more extremely unpleasant task to do. Once he has accomplished it, he will go to the lads in the story and tell them one way or the other. It may be a difficult wait for them, but they have lived on hope for so long, a few more days is not too much to ask."

She disentangled her limbs, re-linking the boys' arms. "I must see about my duties."

As she got a few strides away, Hampden exchanged an urgent look with him, and Felix called out: "But Miss Waverly, this book of yours, does it have a happy ending?"

She appeared moved, answering slowly but with determination. "I don’t know; I haven’t gotten that far yet. But one thing I can tell you is, the people in the book are good and brave, and they deserve a very happy ending. That I believe with all my heart, for as the poem says:

 

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flyin';

And this same flower that smiles today

To-morrow might be dyin'.

 

"Now, good day, boys."

"Good day, Miss Waverly," they said in unison.

They walked on and waited till they rounded the far side of the court, farthest from the guard, to speak again.

Felix asked, "I wonder if Miss Waverly and Monk know how we feel about each other."

"It's probably obvious to everyone."

Felix's heart sank. That could be why he felt targeted by all the abusive types in this spic-and-span hellhole.

"You do love me, don't you, Felix?" A glance at Hampden's eyes confirmed he knew Felix was lost in his head.

"Yes. Don’t ask, because I know you remember the first night I told you."

Hampy played dumb. "Do I…?"

"The night we were arrested. We were in that juvenile jail cell in the Four Courts Building, nothing but a blanket, a bunk, and us holding on to one another."

"Of course I remember, Felix."

"I don’t know how to put it in words – "

"Then don’t. It's all right with me."

"No, Hampy – let me try. I mean, it's like something happened in that dark cell, with the wild sounds from the other wards, and the chill in the air being in that stone box, but it was like I could 'reveal' to you what was too scary to say in the real world."

"What you felt about me?"

"Yes, Hampy. That I loved you."

"I said the same thing, for the first time. It was on that night, Felix and never doubt, please, that I'll always remember it."

Felix smiled and held his partner's hand tighter. A small chuckle arose. "Why do sometimes the brightest lights shine in the darkest moments. There we were, trapped and frightened, unsure what would become of us, but we were less afraid than we had been. Know what I mean?"

"I do."

"Front to back, me holding on to you, you lifted your head to me, and our touching melted into tender spooning, tears of happiness and the confession that we'd always be together, no matter what. And, love. I love you, Hampy."

"And I love you, Felix. God I do. I hope you know that."

They had turned the corner and were strolling back towards the sightline of the guard. He smoked indolently and fouled the air being sweetened by the roses around the boys.

The uninhibited noise of the younger children at play on the open field entered Felix's consciousness for a moment. It was the sound of kids insisting on being kids despite the dire surroundings and having nothing others would consider playthings.

"I know you love me, Hampy, but…but – " The older of the two boys was coming to something he'd wanted to say for a long time.

"But, what? You can tell me anything."

"That night, the night we were arrested…?"

"Yes."

"I…. I knew they were coming to get you. I knew there was nothing I could do to warn you, but – "

"But what?"

"But I went there on purpose, to get myself collared with you. I did it so we could go in together; so you wouldn't have to be alone in here."

"Felix! You didn't have to."

"But I felt I did. You were too trusting. You trusted the General Strike organizers, and Hampy, they used you. Used you not caring if a boy got caught by the police because they thought better you than some working man with a family to support."

"I know you never liked the Union men – "

"It has nothing to do with 'like.' They used you, and you did not know how goddamn serious it was. We were swept up in the currents of change, made drunk on possibilities of revolution. Those four nights in July seemed to be the start of a time when everything would be better for the Felixes and Hampdens of the world."

"Don't get hot, Felix."

And it was true; Felix Yeager was getting freshly angered thinking about how his partner had been scapegoated by the ones rallying the men to take action against the unjust powers that be. Here they were, paying for those men's ambitions with a cruel loss of their freedom for three years and counting. Nothing about any of it was fair.

"I went back and made sure I was pinched with you, Hampden, because I know you. You are a hothead, a fella likely to think with his fists and not his head. You needed me in here; needed me thinkin' things through."

"I'm sorry, Felix. Please don’t be sore." He squeezed the older boy's arm with coaxing affection.

"I ain't sore, Hampy."

"Look, if your cousin's plan doesn't pan out, we'll stick it out here. Then you'll get released a year before me and set up a place for us to live, get a job and so forth, and then when I come out, we'll be together forever."

"I need to be in here with you, or else – "

"Go on."

"I just want you to know – to open your eyes to what's really going on."

"I don’t need protection."

"Oh, yes, you do."

"From what? What do you mean…? Felix, tell me." There was fear in Hampden's voice.

"Well, do you ever wonder why I get more beatings than you?" A glance confirmed that Hampden's heart was sinking, but Felix had to go on despite the pain for both. "I take the extra so you don’t have to. The guards are, well they are coming at me for ways to keep you out of trouble, and – and provide them, with what they want."

"Felix – "

"I take the abuse so you are safe. Your temper would get the best of you and you'd never get out of here, or the real jail they'd ship you off to the moment you turn twenty-one. You see? You'd never get out, if I didn't do what I do."

Hampden stopped walking.

Felix slowly stepped in front of the boy, seeing the younger man clinch his fists; witnessing red color crawl up the boy's neck. In another moment, a determined grimace appeared. Hampy lurched towards the guard's position.

Felix quickly jogged to the side, grabbing strongly onto both of Hampden's upper arms. He shook his head vehemently. "This! This, Hampy, is what I mean. Do you see?! Hampy!"

"What's going on over there, boys?!" the guard called out.

"Nothing, officer."

Felix jammed his arm through Hampden's and forced the hothead to continue walking with him.

They did, with the bigger lad's steps dragging at first. Now the sweet smell of the roses was bitter to Felix; the sounds of determinedly happy children, false and goading.

"Why did you never tell me, Felix?"

"Because, you'd act out, that's why. It was best you did not know."

"I love you, Felix."

"I know – "

"Why hurt yourself over me. I'm bigger, I can take it better."

"It's just, I'm the older one. I'm supposed to protect you – Hampy, don’t cry. You can't, not here, please.

"Felix, you break my heart."

"No, Hampy. I told you because we have to face facts and work together."

His jacket sleeve wiped his eyes. New resolve appeared. "Yes. From now on, I swear it. I'll pull my weight. What they want of you is nothing I ain't use to trading. You know that about me and the fellows at the lumberyard."

"But you shouldn't have to."

"Neither should you, but this system ain't fair. That's nothing new to you or me."

"You're upset. I understand, but this is the time we need to keep our heads cool, and keep them down on our work. We can't seem like we're planning nothin'. They'd get us for sure if they suspect anything at all."

"Okay. I get it, but – " Hampden stopped walking; took his boy's arms in his hands and forced him to hold his gaze. He told him calmly: "I want you to stop, Felix. No more taking lickings in my place; no more giving them what they want instead of me."

"Hampy – "

"It's time, Felix, for me to pull my weight. And if your cousin and Miss Waverly can't come through for us, don’t worry. I swear by all the love I have in my heart for you, this Christmas we will be free. I'll figure a way out of this place. I'll make sure we escape on our own if we have to."

For his love of the lingua latina, this chapter has always been dedicated to my friend and colleague, skinnydragon. Gratias ago tibi, & te amo

2017-05-18 this is hard to look at, but love you buddy...my dear Skinny

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter makes me very nervous for Felix and Hampy. There is a sens of foreboding about it with the talk of punishments and who is protecting whom. You're building tensions and anxiety. Excellent job!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Felix and Hampy get a ray of hope. Thank you, Miss Waverly. But you expertly introduce the evil of what the guards may do, and the evil of the system, giving me chills enough to last all winter. Can their plot work fast enough before one of the boys is irretrievably hurt, or before Hampy loses his head? I am all in suspense now...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Firstly, what a kindness in your dedication.
Deplorable ... the behavior of both the guard and apparently those at the lumberyard. Is it not enough that the inmates are treated as little more than small cogs in the machinery that brings economic benefit to the ones least needing it. To endure further debasement simply because they have no recourse to prevent it. I imagine the "selfless well meaning" powers that be saying they provide training in a skill that will later will provide a means to make a living while reducing the expenses incurred in housing the delinquents. There is some truth to this but the execution is heartless.
Remarkably children remain children seeking play when they might.
Your skill in spinning this tail is reminiscient of another who once wrote of society's sins against its weakest members.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Felix is wonderfully devoted, but I think he was right in telling Hampden how the game needs to be played from now on. The stakes are so much higher and they both need to keep the goal in mind. Luckily they have two good guardian angels who will do their best to work a miracle.
The love and honest innocence of these two boys shines brightly in this and the previous chapter. It warms my heart. :hug:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yes, I was in bed again reading this ... loved them walking the yard together!! Miss Waverly and her intrigue was brilliant. And the boys, i love them. Love their devotion to each other and their determination to be together. Another lovely chapter AC... xo
tim

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hampy and Felix's determination to stay together and escape at all costs, and the love they have for each other us beautiful to witness. It is wonderful and sad all at once how Felix took care of Hampy. He was right to tell though, Hampy needed to know because of what's at stake. He needs to be in control and focused.
This is where my warm and fuzzier get dampened a bit. It is alarming to think of what they would have to endure should this go sideways. Brutal, really. The plan is almost perfect but as Miss Waverly points out, there are some parts that are out of anyone's control. Those are the parts I worry about.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/17/2016 04:25 AM, Cole Matthews said:

This chapter makes me very nervous for Felix and Hampy. There is a sens of foreboding about it with the talk of punishments and who is protecting whom. You're building tensions and anxiety. Excellent job!

Thank you, Cole! When I was first uploading this novella, my finger itched to hit the button for 'Thriller/Suspense' too, but I thought better of it.

 

Maybe I made a mistake. I do think it's all pretty suspenseful.

 

Thanks for another great review. I really appreciate it.

Link to comment
On 12/17/2016 06:03 AM, Parker Owens said:

Felix and Hampy get a ray of hope. Thank you, Miss Waverly. But you expertly introduce the evil of what the guards may do, and the evil of the system, giving me chills enough to last all winter. Can their plot work fast enough before one of the boys is irretrievably hurt, or before Hampy loses his head? I am all in suspense now...

Yes, it's far from a done deal. I appreciate your comments, and wanted my boys to seem real – the danger out there for boys like them certainly was.

 

Miss Waverly is brave, but I wonder if part of that is reliance on her upbringing and social status. Maybe we'll find out more a bit later on.

 

Thanks, Parker, for another wonderful review!

Link to comment
On 12/17/2016 10:16 AM, dughlas said:

Firstly, what a kindness in your dedication.

Deplorable ... the behavior of both the guard and apparently those at the lumberyard. Is it not enough that the inmates are treated as little more than small cogs in the machinery that brings economic benefit to the ones least needing it. To endure further debasement simply because they have no recourse to prevent it. I imagine the "selfless well meaning" powers that be saying they provide training in a skill that will later will provide a means to make a living while reducing the expenses incurred in housing the delinquents. There is some truth to this but the execution is heartless.

Remarkably children remain children seeking play when they might.

Your skill in spinning this tail is reminiscient of another who once wrote of society's sins against its weakest members.

Thanks, Dugh. When skinny edited this chapter, quite a few weeks ago now, I made sure he knew I was thinking about him because of the Latin references.

 

The lumberyard reference as places where sexual favors can be found comes straight from "Tour of Saint Louis," and we can imagine young ladies would never hang out there.

 

Anyway, I suppose this hardly makes for the 'usual' Christmas story, but I want to bring the vibrancy of the place and time to life as best as I am able, and that means the pressing social issues as well.

 

Thank you again for your support and wonderful reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/18/2016 02:06 AM, Timothy M. said:

Felix is wonderfully devoted, but I think he was right in telling Hampden how the game needs to be played from now on. The stakes are so much higher and they both need to keep the goal in mind. Luckily they have two good guardian angels who will do their best to work a miracle.

The love and honest innocence of these two boys shines brightly in this and the previous chapter. It warms my heart. :hug:

Thanks, Tim. I love your take on the chapter and why Felix had to tell Hampy what he did. I think it ate him up inside, but he had to do it.

 

You warm my heart by telling me my boys are touching to you. That makes me feel you consider them as real people :)

 

Thank you again for all of your wonderful reviews.

Link to comment
On 12/18/2016 06:05 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Yes, I was in bed again reading this ... loved them walking the yard together!! Miss Waverly and her intrigue was brilliant. And the boys, i love them. Love their devotion to each other and their determination to be together. Another lovely chapter AC... xo

tim

Thanks, Tim. I think I envisioned this little walk-about scene once I read in "Tour of Saint Louis" how the House of Refuge contained a central court with roses. The smell is the first thing that came to mind.

 

Thank you again for a wonderful review and all of your support.

Link to comment
On 12/18/2016 06:41 AM, Defiance19 said:

Hampy and Felix's determination to stay together and escape at all costs, and the love they have for each other us beautiful to witness. It is wonderful and sad all at once how Felix took care of Hampy. He was right to tell though, Hampy needed to know because of what's at stake. He needs to be in control and focused.

This is where my warm and fuzzier get dampened a bit. It is alarming to think of what they would have to endure should this go sideways. Brutal, really. The plan is almost perfect but as Miss Waverly points out, there are some parts that are out of anyone's control. Those are the parts I worry about.

Oh, it seems you did like the next Felix and Hampden chapter! Lol. Yay! But seriously, thank you for saying it was beautiful to witness. That's what I was hoping for.

 

And yes, things could still go very wrong at this point. It wouldn't take very much at all.

 

Thanks again, Def, for a great review. Hugz and Kissez

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..