Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 246 Words
  • 1,405 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 10. Rick and Ren

.

Sonnet No. 19[1]

 

That Romeo loved Juliet is true,

But equally Mercutio loved him,

And how the tragic tale a twist could do,

If the boys could love, and sadness betrim.

Rick loved Ren, and "In the Flesh" they could be

Back again, redeemer to each other,

Despite all the world's cruel hostility,

Their eyes beheld risen Love without cover.

So despite how the temporal world may try –

To hold down, and suppress, our worth –

We will always be there to refute their lie

That our greatest gift wasn't given at birth.

Love me: that is all of you I can ask,

Make them feel we are worthy of the task.

 

 

Sonnet No. 20

 

Click; stop: click; stop: the hands of time go on,

Rigid soldiers, their arms stiff and marching

Have limited moves in the game matching –

Still; stymied: hands; jerking: the clock seems pawn.

And yet, all our hopes and dreams on it fawn,

Begging for enough time dispatching,

To render our longings some detaching,

And beef up our resolve with brawn.

But none of that really seems to matter

When I simply think that I see your hand

Lifting to my lips like heaven's ladder

And pressing there so we both understand

Nothing in the human heart is gladder

Than to have time greater than grains of sand.

 

 

 

 


[1] For Rick and Ren's great love story, see here

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

#20
The inflexible, uncompromising hands of time, limiting, ultimately depriving us of time.
Yet the supple, relaxed hands of love, granting, stretching something finally greater than time.
I love this, AC!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/05/2016 02:35 PM, skinnydragon said:

#20

The inflexible, uncompromising hands of time, limiting, ultimately depriving us of time.

Yet the supple, relaxed hands of love, granting, stretching something finally greater than time.

I love this, AC!

Thank you, skinny. This is a beautiful review, and it touches me. Make sure you watch "In the Flesh" (Rick and Ren's story) if you have not already seen it :)

Link to comment

Loved In The Flesh, great show. Shame they didn't finish it. This sonnet and your blog are both terrific!

 

Time? Enemy or friend? Both maybe. But time is relentless and it's up to us how we deal with what we have. You've expressed it beautifully.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I liked the second one especially for greater than the sands. I was fascinated by the reference to Rick and Ren, and appreciated the link. You used an allusion to their tragedy so effectively, my analytical mind was silenced. Thanks for these.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/05/2016 09:34 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Loved In The Flesh, great show. Shame they didn't finish it. This sonnet and your blog are both terrific!

 

Time? Enemy or friend? Both maybe. But time is relentless and it's up to us how we deal with what we have. You've expressed it beautifully.

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate your reviews and support.

 

As for time, your comments make me wonder if it's something to overcome, or harness. I don’t have an answer.

Link to comment
On 04/06/2016 12:01 PM, Parker Owens said:

I liked the second one especially for greater than the sands. I was fascinated by the reference to Rick and Ren, and appreciated the link. You used an allusion to their tragedy so effectively, my analytical mind was silenced. Thanks for these.

Thank you, Parker. "In the Flesh" affected me for weeks and weeks, in fact until I wrote that essay. It has a Shakespearean level of tragedy to it, and with the "Victim" allusions, and use of an HIV-like 'treatable condition,' the writer pulled out so many of the Gay Experience stops it deserves to be much better known.

 

Thanks again.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..